• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    from the recent posts re: stolen cameras, This is a required accessory...

CAMLOCKbox

EDIT: reference only... not sure if their boxes fit your gift idea.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The more reading I am doing, I am leaning toward this one. http://www.amazon.com/GSM-Stealth-N...F8&qid=1417655544&sr=1-1&keywords=stealth+cam

It seems to have better reviews. I keep seeing comments about poor customer service with the Moultrie brand and not as good of night time images.

I was looking at the lock boxes but am not sure we need one where he wants to put it. It is pretty much in the middle of our property and I have never seen evidence of anyone in that area other than us. It is mostly sand so footprints are easily spotted. I see a lot of coyote, deer and turkey tracks and my truck tracks but not human footprints. We could buy that later if he feels it is necessary.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Haven't used those. My best luck has been with the Stealth STC-SK724. Good pictures and easy to set up, likes AA batteries though if it's taking many pictures.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Haven't used those. My best luck has been with the Stealth STC-SK724. Good pictures and easy to set up, likes AA batteries though if it's taking many pictures.

Stealth seem to have good reviews overall. He wants one that won't have a visible flash at night in case we use it as a security came during the off season. He wants it mainly for coyote watching to see when they are moving through.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I would be happy with either one as a christmas present from my wife! No experience with moultrie but did have a stealth cam that took amazing pictures. Great trigger. If I remember right tried 2 of them couldn't seem to keep them waterproof. Customer service was good though.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Stealth seem to have good reviews overall. He wants one that won't have a visible flash at night in case we use it as a security came during the off season. He wants it mainly for coyote watching to see when they are moving through.

There's some trade off on night range with the darkened IR. The ones I use in the woods give off a little red light which works well as it gets the animal's attention without scaring providing you with a better picture. Have lots of coyote pics taken with them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have it in my cart along with two 32gb SD cards so he can swap them out rather than having to take one back out after we view it.

The reviews actually talk about how good the night photos are as well so I'm hoping we won't be disappointed. I am seeing much pricier cameras with not so impressive reviews so I guess it is worth a shot.

I appreciate the input!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I have about a half dozen Primos Truth Cam 35's and they work great day or night and don't cost a arm and a leg, you can get them off e bay or amazon... I just would make sure they are NOT refurbushed ones ???? They are easy to set up and from my other posts easy to get stolen... But if your willing to fight for whats yours and whats right you can get them back.... lmao

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have it in my cart along with two 32gb SD cards so he can swap them out rather than having to take one back out after we view it.

The reviews actually talk about how good the night photos are as well so I'm hoping we won't be disappointed. I am seeing much pricier cameras with not so impressive reviews so I guess it is worth a shot.

I appreciate the input!

I would save the 32 gig cards for something else and get some smaller ones. I have 4s and 8s and have never filled them before the batteries run out.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    I would save the 32 gig cards for something else and get some smaller ones. I have 4s and 8s and have never filled them before the batteries run out.

my 2gb card in a bushnell trophy cam will hold 1500 pics at 6 megapixels. I have three of the cheaper trophy cams and I love all of them. 2 year warranty is a bonus.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    The Moultree makes a cam and I think it is the 880, it is also password protected , so if it does get stolen, the thief won't be able to use it.
    SpyPoint makes one that records images to a separate unit that you mount up to 250 feet away from the camera, so if a thief does steal the camera you still have the pics, and possibly pics of the thief, providing he doesn't get that storage box too.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have about a half dozen Primos Truth Cam 35's and they work great day or night and don't cost a arm and a leg, you can get them off e bay or amazon... I just would make sure they are NOT refurbushed ones ???? They are easy to set up and from my other posts easy to get stolen... But if your willing to fight for whats yours and whats right you can get them back.... lmao

:+1:

The 32gb cards will also work in my digital camera but they were actually on sale cheaper than the smaller cards so that was why I went that route. I also don't know how often he is going to be checking them. If the driveway alarm is any indicator of activity on our property, I have a feeling he is going to have plenty to look at. I can get smaller cards later if we find these are too much, but they were only $15 apiece and the camera was $30 less on Amazon than on Bass Pro's site so it was like getting the cards for free.

I use 4G sims all the time.

...PLUS - you are a GOOD WIFE!

Thanks. We have a rule. No buying tools for him for Christmas and no appliances for me unless I specifically request them. So far, he claims my snow tires are my present. I'm not so sure, although they are pretty darn nice! What wife doesn't want Duratracs on her truck for Christmas? Tools and appliances mean work so those are off limits.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm making notes on which ones people like so if he decides he needs more, I know which ones to consider. I'll try to remember to post feedback on the stealth that I ordered once he has had a chance to use it.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a website I found a couple years ago. They do tons of tests/reviews and show you all the results etc. TrailCamPro - Game and Trail Cameras - Shop Camera, Reviews, Guides

They sell a variety of cameras and have great service. I bought a Bushnell from them a couple years ago and its great. I have a Moultrie cam that is better than I expected. night pics are a little blurry and trigger time is slow.

A good camera will be about the features you want (trigger time, recovery time, IR pictures, activation range etc.)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Here is a website I found a couple years ago. They do tons of tests/reviews and show you all the results etc. TrailCamPro - Game and Trail Cameras - Shop Camera, Reviews, Guides

They sell a variety of cameras and have great service. I bought a Bushnell from them a couple years ago and its great. I have a Moultrie cam that is better than I expected. night pics are a little blurry and trigger time is slow.

A good camera will be about the features you want (trigger time, recovery time, IR pictures, activation range etc.)

Thank You. I will check the site out. I think it is funny that I keep finding various catalogs laying around...all open to the trail cams. Hint, hint, hint. :laugh:

Top Bottom