• ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Report: N. Korea fires on S. Korea, killing 1 and injuring 15 - CNN.com

Hope everyone is still here to read this in the morning.

Right now North Korea is bombarding a small South Korean island off the Western Coast of the peninsula with hundreds of artillery shells, injuring at least 16 people and killing 2-3. The South responded with return fire of about 80 shells and scrambled F-16's as well as gathered an emergency meeting in Seoul.

So what do you think? apparently there was a skirmish similar to this last year. In addition, the sinking of a South Korean warship (PROBABLY) by North Korea didn't result in WW3, so will this?

Should the US intervene? NK has nukes, and who knows what China would do. In addition to the other wars we are currently involved in.

I for one see US action in the peninsula as a much better option than entering Iraq was, although that may not be saying much.

A full scale assault would almost certainly mean the demise of Seoul, as the North apparently has loads of artillery pointed in that direction. Not much you can do to stop a shell.

I don't think the South has nukes, and U.S. tactical nukes were removed some time ago I believe. But that doesn't mean that any number of U.S. warships in the area don't have that capability.

Is Obama too scared since he was voted in to "end the war" to start another one?

Not to mention the financial instability the conflict has already caused in its first few hours! International markets are falling 2-3% and that is after the Korean markets have closed!

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    seeing as the US is obligated by treaty to help SK, and our troops will be the first to die when NK comes through the DMZ, we are involved no matter whether we want to be or not.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Lets see.. China is North Korea's body guard. The USA is South Korea's body guard. China and the USA have a mutually beneficial, yet rocky, relationship right now.

Sounds like an ubber sticky situation that I want no part of.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    **** just got Il...fool.

SK ran navy drills, despite the standard NK warnings not to.
    200 shells fired by NK, most hit water.
    SK President goes underground in a bunker and says "we'll avoid a war"
    80 shells fired back by SK, all hit water, probably aimed at water.
    SK President attempts contact of NK to "talk it out". No response from NK.
    SK deploys some airplanes, ships ~1300 (1700?) people off the island to safety at inceon
    Aftermath:
    2 soldiers died of injuries
    2 more heavily injured
    Civilian deaths not clear. A bunch of civilian injuries.
    60-80 houses burning.
    Korean won falls 200 points, US dollar increases 40
    Rumors circulate:
    1.) Kim Jong Il died, his son wanted to display power
    2.) Kim Jong Il died, his son was killed by military general in an attempted power grab
    3.) SK president planned it all (eh, that one always comes out of SK)
    Statements issued by governments:
    1.) China: Restraint urged while facts are verified.
    2.) US: We strongly condemn NK, please cease fire
    3.) Russia: Both Koreas have much to lose, urge cease fire. Condemns NK.
    4.) (maybe related?) India puts 36,000 troops on Chinese border.
    5.) NK: Warns about another pending "merciless" attack.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    They may need those surplus Garands and Carbines the State department blocked from import this summer!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    They may need those surplus Garands and Carbines the State department blocked from import this summer!

They certainly dont need those antiquated guns, they are rocking Daewoo K1 carbines now in the South.

800px-Daewoo_K1A_SMG_at_Defense_Asia_2006_0.jpg

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Dom, thanks for the synopsis!

Huh, well SK provokes an attack, then gets all mad when they get shelled. Reminds me of the fat kid in grade school that kept picking on me and physically pushing me around, then complains he has a studder when I bonked him full force with a saxaphone case... Not justifying NK's actions, but still.

A scary thought is of Jong Il being dead. What a murderous country that would be. Given the general level of disconnect with their people and the insanity level, I would not be suprised that if Kim did die that others would either scramble to gain power and get really trigger happy, or someone killed the son and is running amok with the military or even if someone killed Kim Jong Il to gain power! (Power hungry son who wants to rise quicker than he has been).

Such a crazy and sticky situation. Given the volatility of the market, yet another war would not bode well, despite our dislike and hate of the NK.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    did anyone else have to read this three times, to get the picture of a newborn in camos training out of their heads?

1330: Tae Kim in Seoul says: "As the father of a newborn facing mandatory national guard training this Friday, this situation does quite scare me a bit."

START EM YOUNG!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We could fix the problem faster than I can have a pizza delivered
    Really? Because the last time I checked the NK's had an army of over 1 million. If they decided to invade SK, they'd be all over the place like locusts. Nukes are out of the question, unless you want to render SK uninhabitable.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    It might be FO time, and we can make it last a long time or make it a shorter one. A low yeild nuke at a key choke point makes a real nasty crater to get across.

Don't they still have specials for mines at key places? Also, if several key bridges "blow up" the north is moving south......

It is not a secret that SK has explosives placed on key bridges ready to go. Just make sure you are on the good side before they drop them.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    It might be FO time, and we can make it last a long time or make it a shorter one. A low yeild nuke at a key choke point makes a real nasty crater to get across.

Don't they still have specials for mines at key places? Also, if several key bridges "blow up" the north is moving south......

It is not a secret that SK has explosives placed on key bridges ready to go. Just make sure you are on the good side before they drop them.

Is your world a video game? Really?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    +1.

If Gen. MacArthur would have been allowed to finish the job, we wouldn't have this problem!
    In case it missed your notice in history class, McArthur couldn't get the job done. It wasn't a matter of politics, either. It was a matter of man vs. man and the Chinese and NK's had a decided advantage in that area. The NK's still do. Folks who think that going to war on the peninsula is some kind of good idea need to seriously rethink their position. Especially, if they aren't going to be fighting.

Top Bottom