• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, so I finally got my 03 FFL (C&R) and I've got a few questions that I haven't seen in the paperwork I got with it yet... and my search-fu is weak if they've been answered...

1. The way the paperwork I got was worded, it appears that now that I have an 03 FFL, I need to log ANY C&R firearms acquired from now on in a bound book, even if I did not use my FFL to acquire them? I was under the impression I only needed to log what I purchased/received via my FFL?

2. If I take a signed copy of my FFL to a show/shop/etc., does that preclude needing a NICS check? (Saving a bit of time and paperwork)

3. I live in an apartment complex and work starting mid-afternoon. Often if packages arrive when I'm gone, they're delivered to my apartment office and the complex manager signs for them, is that permissible with a firearm, or will I get a notice on my door and need to call them and have it held at the local UPS/Fedex/USPS?

Thanks all!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ok, so I finally got my 03 FFL (C&R) and I've got a few questions that I haven't seen in the paperwork I got with it yet... and my search-fu is weak if they've been answered...

1. The way the paperwork I got was worded, it appears that now that I have an 03 FFL, I need to log ANY C&R firearms acquired from now on in a bound book, even if I did not use my FFL to acquire them? I was under the impression I only needed to log what I purchased/received via my FFL?

2. If I take a signed copy of my FFL to a show/shop/etc., does that preclude needing a NICS check? (Saving a bit of time and paperwork)

3. I live in an apartment complex and work starting mid-afternoon. Often if packages arrive when I'm gone, they're delivered to my apartment office and the complex manager signs for them, is that permissible with a firearm, or will I get a notice on my door and need to call them and have it held at the local UPS/Fedex/USPS?

Thanks all!
    1. Yes, all C&R eligible firearms must be logged if purchased during the time your license is valid, regardless if you used your license or not. This includes firearms that were given to you.
    2. Yes, if the shop you are buying it from takes a copy of the FFL for their records, no need for any other paperwork or background check. Receipt is all you will need. Wanamaker Guns has mine on file and makes purchases VERY quick and painless.
    3. You will get a notice.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My delivery guy takes my stuff to my wifes office, which he goes by several times a day anyway, when I get guns delivered. Don't know if that's an option for you, but those guys would rather deliver it somewhere than have to haul it back.

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Ditto to the above. Unfortunatly, many 01FFL are uninterested in our 03's. Before I got my 03, my NICS often took 3 days, after my 03 its done while the owner is on the phone.

Ronn

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Looks like that covered my questions...

Glad I asked, because I was sure the bit about recording ALL C&R acquisitions, even without using my FFL, had to be a mis-wording, guess it wasn't...

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    An interesting question on the 03 renewal form was "How many firearms have you purchased with your license?"

I guess they are checking to see if you are acting like a full 01.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    An interesting question on the 03 renewal form was "How many firearms have you purchased with your license?"

I guess they are checking to see if you are acting like a full 01.

Shouldn't matter how many you purchased, how many sold or transferred might be an issue, but I know people who are constantly buying and selling and trading just because they see something they want more than what they've got, doesn't make them a dealer...

jwkidd3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    How long did it take for your C&R to be approved? I put my paperwork in about 2 weeks ago....

bluto67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    i finally sent out my c&r app in early july while a friend of mine from work sent his in at least a month earlier. I got mine in the mail on a wednesday about 3 weeks later. i texted my friend to let him know and he said he got his on monday. made me think they might wait until they get a stack of them and process them all at once. don't know if that is the case or not. now i can't decide what to get first, a k98 mauser, walther p38/p1 or a cz82.

jwkidd3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    It would be fantastic if it was done in 2 weeks....heck with it being the Govt getting it in 6 would be a miracle

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i finally sent out my c&r app in early july while a friend of mine from work sent his in at least a month earlier. I got mine in the mail on a wednesday about 3 weeks later. i texted my friend to let him know and he said he got his on monday. made me think they might wait until they get a stack of them and process them all at once. don't know if that is the case or not. now i can't decide what to get first, a k98 mauser, walther p38/p1 or a cz82.

I just got a CZ82 with FFL03. Nice shooter, pretty worn though. The worst part is that my wife now covets it. I may have to buy another one.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

I'm eyeballing Nagant revolvers, CZ-52 pistols, and Yugo M48 and 24 Mausers... Wouldn't mind a Webley either...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    1. Yes, all C&R eligible firearms must be logged if purchased during the time your license is valid, regardless if you used your license or not. This includes firearms that were given to you.
    2. Yes, if the shop you are buying it from takes a copy of the FFL for their records, no need for any other paperwork or background check. Receipt is all you will need. Wanamaker Guns has mine on file and makes purchases VERY quick and painless.
    3. You will get a notice.

3. No notice. UPS left the package with the apartment manager today, he has no LTCH, and no FFL... I can't completely blame them, by law, there can be no marking stating a firearm is contained in the package, and there is a notice on my door stating if I do not answer (due to being at work or sleeping daytime hours due to work schedule), please deliver to apartment office...

As an aside, it's the first CZ-52 I've seen with the commercial import box with it. Totally 80's graphics too, lol. I'll post pics later, naptime before work now...

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sorry but even after researching I cant figure out why someone needs a C&R? Is it for all guns before 1946 as I might be interested in some Jap rifiles and one may even be pre 1920.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Sorry but even after researching I cant figure out why someone needs a C&R? Is it for all guns before 1946 as I might be interested in some Jap rifiles and one may even be pre 1920.
    You don't have to pay $15-35 to a Type 01 FFL holder and can have the firearms shipped directly to you. Also, many places will give you a discount on non-firearms purchases as well (I hear Midway has good discounts on their optics for 03 FFL holders).

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You don't have to pay $15-35 to a Type 01 FFL holder and can have the firearms shipped directly to you. Also, many places will give you a discount on non-firearms purchases as well (I hear Midway has good discounts on their optics for 03 FFL holders).
    But does it work only on C&R guns Im guessing.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    But does it work only on C&R guns Im guessing.

right now it works for any gun before 1961 (50 years old and older), and when you get one, they send you a whole big booklet full of eligible firearms, and a current list is available online.

It's only $30 for 3 years, so saving the cost of 2 transfers (on average) pays for it.
    I've also heard that if you send a copy to Midway and Brownells you can get dealer pricing, and that can also save you enough to pay for it on top of the savings from transfers. Also, if you go to a gun show and buy a C&R gun from a dealer who'll take a copy of your FFL, it'll save filling out a 4473 and phone call. Less time, less paperwork...

I just picked up a nice CZ-52 and an E.L Dickinson Earthquake with mine.

Top Bottom