• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack1861

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    If a vehicle can be RCd into a crash, one might reasonably conclude an aircraft can be as well.

Seems more plausible than amateur pilots taking over crews with box cutters and hitting towers with great accuracy.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Michael Hastings... whacked?

Exclusive: Hastings Sent Colleagues Email Hours Before Crash | KTLA 5
    “It alarmed me very much,” Biggs said. “I just said it doesn’t seem like him. I don’t know, I just had this gut feeling and it just really bothered me,” he said.

The email was sent just before 1 p.m. on Monday, 15 hours before the deadly crash.

hastings-email.jpg

michaelhastingscrash.jpg

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Michael Hastings researching Jill Kelley case before death - latimes.com
    On Wednesday night, the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks inserted itself into the story, publishing a message on Twitter that Hasting had contacted a lawyer for the organization hours before his car smashed into a tree on North Highland Avenue in Los Angeles.

The message read: “Michael Hastings contacted WikiLeaks lawyer Jennifer Robinson just a few hours before he died, saying that the FBI was investigating him.”

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Researchers Show How a Car’s Electronics Can Be Taken Over Remotely | New York Times

With a modest amount of expertise, computer hackers could gain remote access to someone’s car — just as they do to people’s personal computers — and take over the vehicle’s basic functions, including control of its engine, according to a report by computer scientists from the University of California, San Diego and the University of Washington.

Because many of today’s cars contain cellular connections and Bluetooth wireless technology, it is possible for a hacker, working from a remote location, to take control of various features — like the car locks and brakes — as well as to track the vehicle’s location, eavesdrop on its cabin and steal vehicle data, the researchers said. They described a range of potential compromises of car security and safety.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The peculiar circumstances of journalist Michael Hastings' death in Los Angeles last week have unleashed a wave of conspiracy theories.
    Now there's another theory to contribute to the paranoia: According to a prominent security analyst, technology exists that could've allowed someone to hack his car. Former U.S. National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counter-terrorism Richard Clarke told The Huffington Post that what is known about the single-vehicle crash is "consistent with a car cyber attack."
    Clarke said, "There is reason to believe that intelligence agencies for major powers" -- including the United States -- know how to remotely seize control of a car.
    "What has been revealed as a result of some research at universities is that it's relatively easy to hack your way into the control system of a car, and to do such things as cause acceleration when the driver doesn't want acceleration, to throw on the brakes when the driver doesn't want the brakes on, to launch an air bag," Clarke told The Huffington Post. "You can do some really highly destructive things now, through hacking a car, and it's not that hard."
    Clarke worked for the State Department under President Ronald Reagan and headed up counterterrorism efforts under Presidents George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. He also served as a special adviser on cyberterrorism to the younger Bush and published a book on the topic, Cyber War, in 2010.

"I'm not a conspiracy guy. In fact, I've spent most of my life knocking down conspiracy theories," said Clarke, who ran afoul of the second Bush administration when he criticized the decision to invade Iraq after 9/11. "But my rule has always been you don't knock down a conspiracy theory until you can prove it [wrong]. And in the case of Michael Hastings, what evidence is available publicly is consistent with a car cyber attack. And the problem with that is you can't prove it."

Was Michael Hastings' Car Hacked? Richard Clarke Says It's Possible

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Well if he was intent on committing suicide I have a hard time reconciling why he drove as far as he did as fast as he did. Wouldn't he simply have rammed into something much earlier rather than racing down the road for a long distance?

And the bursting into flames thing is odd as well. Cars don't normally do that, especially a new Benz that have built in safeguards against precisely that sort of thing happening.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Lol "hacking" a car is just simply hilarious and outlandish. Maybe on an absolutely new car which has drive by wire for steering, gas pedal and brakes but I don't know of any vehicles who have all three. Even 2013 models your brake is still mechanically attached to a hydraulic system... and your steering as well is mechanically attached to a steering box.

Take the tinfoil hat off :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Lol "hacking" a car is just simply hilarious and outlandish. Maybe on an absolutely new car which has drive by wire for steering, gas pedal and brakes but I don't know of any vehicles who have all three. Even 2013 models your brake is still mechanically attached to a hydraulic system... and your steering as well is mechanically attached to a steering box.

Take the tinfoil hat off :)

You are aware that nearly all hybrid cars use drive by wire technology for the accelerator,braking systems,and in the case of Mercedes even the steering mostly electronic.True is does have a mechanical link in the steering,but a gear box controlled electronically adjusts the rate of turn(driver input) via a computer.The steering design is to prevent over correcting at speed,but could also function if hacked in the opposite manner causing very small inputs to cause large movements.

It is not tin foil.ABC News did a story on this as well.This is a very real possibility.
    They even hacked a car driving at 60 mph,and could have deflated or over inflated any of the tires."For example, scientists hacked into a car's computer system by commandeering the wireless tire-pressure monitoring signal of a target vehicle – all while driving at more than 60 miles per hour, according to a joint study released Thursday by Rutgers University and the University of South Carolina."

Using homemade hacking software they dubbed "CarShark," the Washington-San Diego researchers in lab and road tests "demonstrate the ability to adversarially control a wide range of automotive functions and completely ignore driver input – including disabling the brakes, selectively braking individual wheels on demand, stopping the engine, and so on," the researchers wrote.
    Scientists Hack Into Cars' Computers -- Control Brakes, Engine - ABC News

Last edited:
    Top Bottom