• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I’ve been working to improve the drainage at our home pistol range. I thought I’d share a bit about the project with my friends on INGO.

But first, some background information about our range:

Five years ago, my family and I were blessed by returning to live in Brown County, Indiana. We found a house in the woods with a bit of property.

I wanted to build a pistol range. The spot below the dam seemed like a perfect place! Here’s what is looked like in July 2009 after we had been working on it a few years.

246pe12.jpg

My son, daughter, and I all enjoy the shooting sports and we’ve counted ourselves fortunate to host two NFA Days at our range. We love to share it with friends, both old and new. I’ve had a chance to meet many great people through INGO. Here’s a picture of the range at the start of the 2009 NFA Weekend.

ir2452.jpg

Most of the people who have been at our range have never seen what it looked like before we lived here. Here are two pictures of the brush on the face of the dam and in the flat area below the dam that would someday be the range. This was in March 2005.

m9liiu.jpg

23sly1.jpg

Fast forward to the Fall of 2009. We had been using the range for four years. However, something changed about the soils and drainage at the range. I had added a few tons of clay along the far side of the range to fill a low spot. After a fairly wet September (and wet NFA Weekend), parts of the range never dried out. As the Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute class approached in early December, I was putting down several bales of straw to try to keep our feet out of the mud. We held the class at the north side of the range because most of the main part of the range was too slippery. Something had to be done!

I sketched out some plans to put in about 300 feet of 4” perforated pipe surrounded by pea gravel. I have a small Kubota tractor with a backhoe so I could do the work myself. Those of you who know me personally will recognize my OCD tendencies in the sketch….

30w1szq.jpg

With help from my adult son, we gathered up the materials we needed and began digging in mid-December 2009, just before the ground froze.

jqg7s8.jpg

This included 15 tons of pea gravel that had to be carted down by the ATV.

285tj.jpg

The following two pictures provide photographic proof that I do indeed know how to get dirty!

169ru54.jpg

p13mb.jpg

As I dug, I noticed a very hard clay layer about 2’ below the surface. This clay was much harder and had a blue tint. I imagine that this material created a fairly impermeable layer that trapped any water coming off the dam or surrounding hillsides. The drainage tile sits just on top of that clay layer.
    e5pb0n.jpg

As the weather turned warmer, I was able to grade the area with the tractor and a 4’ box blade. I noticed that the soil at the range dried out nicely this Spring. I believe the tiles are doing their job!!

Next, I tilled the top few inches to create a seed bed. After that, I applied about 130 pounds of grass seed. Within two hours, it was raining (and hailing). Fortunately, everything stayed in place.

28luwc0.jpg

As you can imagine, I saw quite a number of casings rolling around as I tilled the area. If only I could figure out a way to grow an ammo bush!
    orhz6x.jpg

The last step happened today. My wife and I strawed the range with 6 bales of straw. We’re ready to grow some grass!

ea3z3s.jpg

2d9biu8.jpg

And this is how the range should look in a couple of months! I hope many of my INGO friends have a chance to visit on NFA Weekend or at the MDFI classes in late June. VUPDblue said he’s ready to plant some more brass!! (The picture is from 2009 NFA Weekend!)
    2ut6p2o.jpg

Last edited:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Dave, you may be retired but you are truly an engineer for life!!!! :D

Looks great! I can not want to see it this summer for the MDFI classes!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Very nice setup! We recently moved to the woods in Lawrence county and I would like to know where to get one of those wagons like you have pictured.:)

thanks!

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Congratulations on seeing such a large job all the way through! I sure wouldn't be putting tile in myself, that's real dedication.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Nice work, and very nice range!

That range makes me jealous. I have recently acquired 47 acres in Rising Sun and will be heading down there tomorrow to do a little shooting and start working on building a decent 100 yard range.

Very nice set-up Sir! :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And this is how the range should look in a couple of months! I hope many of my INGO friends have a chance to visit on NFA Weekend or at the MDFI classes in late June. VUPDblue said he’s ready to plant some more brass!! (The picture is from 2009 NFA Weekend!)
    2ut6p2o.jpg

Mr. MyWoods, you know how much we love you guys and how much we appreciate you sharing your beautiful range. I can't wait to experience firsthand all the hard work you've put in. I just have one word to say:

WATERMELONS!
    NFADay2009056.jpg

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I am SO glad the Rice family found INGO. You people are amazing, and not just because of your range!!!!! (The cooking is pretty darn excellent, too, IMHO). :D

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    ATV Trailer

Very nice setup! We recently moved to the woods in Lawrence county and I would like to know where to get one of those wagons like you have pictured.:)

thanks!

See Country Manufacturing, Inc.

Country Manufacturing, Inc. Off Road ATV Trailers

I really like the heavy duty ATV trailer I use to maintain the place. I've hauled brush, straw, pea gravel, dirt, large riprap, and grandkids in that trailer. I was beating one of the standard 17 cubic foot metal trailers to death when I found this.

I did make a few 'engineering modifications' to strengthen the sidewalls and hitch point. :D

Top Bottom