• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Back in September I had purchased a bolt action gun off of Gun broker

I had only ordered a couple guns off Gun broker before and decided to pick it up at US Defense Solutions in Greenwood because they only charge $15 to do a transfer. I had used them before and always impressed me as knowing what they were doing..

When it arrived the Box had been heavily damaged and the Bolt was missing from the package.
    The guy behind the counter 1st asked me if everything was there.. There was a bayonet, Stock & Muzzle cover, but no bolt..

Now I was just going to take it home and contact the seller and find out what happen, but the
    guy at USDS strongly advised me not to take delivery on the gun. Leave it with them and its easier to return things that way. He also went on to say they took photos of the box to show the damage when it arrived.

wunw2v.jpg

Contacted the seller, he asked for the photos.. I Contacted Mike at USDS about 12:30 that night if I could get copies of those photos.. 12:31 that night.. Mike sends me the photos.. (they must never sleep). The seller asked me if they still had the box.. I did not know, so went into USDS the next day and the guy says.. Yeah they have the box... He dove into the dumpster to retrieve it, knowing there was a problem he knew that UPS would want to see it.

Well to make a long story short. UPS took its sweet time to go out in inspect this box when the claim was made.. They said they would go and look at it several times and never showed. Of course the gun & parts was still setting there in USDS taking up their space and time.

The Seller was a top notch guy.. Issued me a full refund. I went into USDS asked if I could pay them anything for their troubles and they kept telling me they would work it out in the end.. They also explained how if I needed to return the gun they would pack it up for me and do the shipping and paperwork.

Finally a UPS inspector showed up and looked over the box.. He seemed to know guns.. One thing he said was that each day everything found at UPS was placed in bins for that day.. And he thought there was a good chance that they may find it.. well he did not find it..

October becomes November then December.. The gun, Box, Bayonet etc is all setting in USDS, Still taking up their space. Finally the Seller contacts me and tells me that USP has made good on the claim paid him in full and gives me the rifle remains et al For Christmas..

So I go into USDS thinking they are going to be glad to get rid of me and half afraid of what the bill would be...The Storage, the taking of photos, the time they spend with UPS.. Hell whats a guy charge you for jumping into a dumpster for a box.

So they greet me, I tell them the final disposition of the gun is mine.. I fill out the paperwork and all and then ask. So how much is the damage...

Mike says 15 dollars... When I told them that that was ridicules. They deserved more. He just shrugged his shoulders and said that's just part of the job.

So Morrow of the tale.

Where as those guys who do transfers make it look easy and not alot of effort for the money... You do want to make sure you go to someone who knows what to do if there is a problem. And USDS's top notch staff not only knew what to do, They went above and beyond. With out all the careful documentation of the damage or the preserving of the box. The claim would have been harder.. Also by leaving all the evidence with a 3rd party. It was easier to file the claim with any question of who damaged the box.

And its pretty damn warm and fuzzy to know that in this crazy topsy turvy world 15 dollars will get you a heck of alot at the right places.

Also a thought for mailing rifles. When you have to remove the bolt for shipping.. Attach it firmly it to the rifle to make sure it stays with the gun if the box is damaged.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    B
    So Morrow of the tale.

Where as those guys who do transfers make it look easy and not alot of effort for the money... You do want to make sure you go to someone who knows what to do if there is a problem. And USDS's top notch staff not only knew what to do, They went above and beyond. With out all the careful documentation of the damage or the preserving of the box. The claim would have been harder.. Also by leaving all the evidence with a 3rd party. It was easier to file the claim with any question of who damaged the box.

And its pretty damn warm and fuzzy to know that in this crazy topsy turvy world 15 dollars will get you a heck of alot at the right places.

Also a thought for mailing rifles. When you have to remove the bolt for shipping.. Attach it firmly it to the rifle to make sure it stays with the gun if the box is damaged.

This is great to hear, and a top reason for me to drive considerably out of my way to USDS for transfers, in addition to the very competitive pricing for transfers.

Nice to have a place where you get great customer service, good price and quick follow up (they called me the same day my transfer came in last time I did one).

Also great advice on packing the bolt properly with the gun.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I agree, USDS is great to work with!

Glad that it worked out for you in the end, and keep supporting those local gun stores.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm down to only two gun shops I frequent any longer and USDS is one of them. USDS has always been good to me, be it with transfers, gun purchases or ordering parts. Good folks there.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have had good encounters in there. Used to be 2 Ingo buddy's behind the counter. Prices are just a bit high for me. I must be spoiled...:):

Noticed that on a quick glance at the gun counter as well on just a couple of commodity items I looked at, but their service and transfer fees are excellent.

Top Bottom