• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    There have been questions similar to this but after reading about the firearms instructor shooing the pastor and being at the range today the thought crossed my mind as to when to speak up where the 4 rules are concerned. They always apply for me personally but when you are at a shop and the person behind the counter sweeps you while handing someone else a gun do you say something? If you watch a customer or employee sweep themselves or each other do you step in and try to educate or just :ugh: and look the other way? After seeing it happen once I just sat down and observed and was amazed at the stunning lack of firearm safety knowledge in the room. I wasn't sure what the correct course of action should be so I just did a lot of this :ugh: and kept my mouth shut.. When I see it at Pararabellum I address it but in neutral territory, so to speak I was at a loss. Seems like there should be a simple answer or at least one that is reasonable but I certainly can't come up with anything.. What say you INGO?

Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Bright Firearms instructor traineeJ

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. The Four Rules always apply.

2. Calling out unsafe behavior has consequences. People are defensive. Be advised.

INGO Four Rules Critics:

this-kid-is-going-places-dumb-kids.jpg

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

2. Calling out unsafe behavior has consequences. People are defensive. Be advised.

I was hoping for someone to tell me something I don't already know :dunno:
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Bright Firearms instructor trainee

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

I'm 53, called out my own 73 yr old dad a couple of years ago......
    He didn't like it, but he never did it again since, and there have been several family shoots since that time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Guy at Gander Mountain kept sweeping me.
    I finally said something, and he mumbled it was "unloaded".

I asked him if he ever seen in the news where someone was killed with an "unloaded" gun.
    He had.

He had a daughter.
    I asked him to imagine trying to explain to the wife that he accidently shot her with and "unloaded" gun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't think blue guns apply.

And there are times when you're carrying, the gun may be pointing at your body parts. I think that's an exception to the 4 rules.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Which four rules? I know the general idea, but the specific wording you use makes a difference.

I argued with a guy once who said it's unsafe to look down the barrel of a rifle at any time in any situation. When the bolt has been removed from the rifle, I disagree.

So what exactly are these four rules? What they are changes everything.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think blue guns apply.

And there are times when you're carrying, the gun may be pointing at your body parts. I think that's an exception to the 4 rules.

Blue guns should be treated as real guns, other than specific controlled FOF scenarios.

If you're pointing the gun at yourself, you're not following the Four Rules, no exceptions.

I argued with a guy once who said it's unsafe to look down the barrel of a rifle at any time in any situation. When the bolt has been removed from the rifle, I disagree...
    Disassembled guns that cannot fire are not really guns, just parts.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I brought up the fact that with a shoulder holster, the firearm is nearly always pointed at an unintended target. I believe the consensus on here was that you could violate 1 rule at a time without harm. I personally don't agree. Accidents happen. Guns fail. The rules, all of them, always apply. The consequences are just too great.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Blue guns should be treated as real guns, other than specific controlled FOF scenarios.

Unless you are teaching a kid or something, I guess I just don't agree. A blue gun is not a gun. There is absolutely zero possible danger posed by them. It's less dangerous than a squirt gun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

If you're pointing the gun at yourself, you're not following the Four Rules, no exceptions.

Disassembled guns that cannot fire are not really guns, just parts.

I disagree. When carrying AIWB, and I'm sitting down, and my holstered gun happens to point at my thigh, there is nothing unsafe about that as long as I'm using a quality holster.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm not saying the 4 rules should never be broken. But 2 of the rules need to be broken in order for it to become deadly.

Common sense is key.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I brought up the fact that with a shoulder holster, the firearm is nearly always pointed at an unintended target. I believe the consensus on here was that you could violate 1 rule at a time without harm. I personally don't agree. Accidents happen. Guns fail. The rules, all of them, always apply. The consequences are just too great.

Firearms safety rules apply when the firearm is being handled. A properly holstered firearm shouldn't need to be handled unless putting on or taking off. Do we also take issue with all of handguns pointed at us on the shelves at stores? No, because they aren't being handled. Unless of course you have mind powers

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I disagree. When carrying AIWB, and I'm sitting down, and my holstered gun happens to point at my thigh, there is nothing unsafe about that as long as I'm using a quality holster.

You are correct. Holstered and cased guns don't count. The Four Rules apply to gun handling. If you are pointing the gun at yourself while holstering, it is a violation of the rules though.

Unless you are teaching a kid or something, I guess I just don't agree. A blue gun is not a gun. There is absolutely zero possible danger posed by them. It's less dangerous than a squirt gun.
    The Four Rules don't apply to inert guns. Good gun handling as a practice would dictate proper handling though. Sloppy is sloppy. A training tool should be treated as a tool, not a toy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Blue guns aren't guns. They are plastic gun shaped objects. The 4 rules are for guns. Not things shaped like guns. Not holster molds, not pop tarts chewed into a gun shape, not squirt guns. Guns.

Top Bottom