Will "Smart Guns" change the Gun industry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Its been on the verge of transforming the gun industry since magna-rings and S&W revolvers. I'm figuring it'll stay on the verge for my lifetime. Its one of those "just around the corner" things that never seems to get any closer.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The only way this will change the industry is if the Feds make them legally mandated.

No one will willingly pay money to make their firearms harder to use.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    It states in the article that you need a special watch on your wrist to be able to operate your weapon.... So, when the group of misunderstood urban youths jumps you, and takes your gun - they only need it to be close to you to shoot you with your own gun? Or, for that matter, they couldn't just take the watch too? What a waste.... You know it's a waste when even the Anti's don't want it....

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    The only advantage offered is preventing your gun to be wrestled away and used against you. If it's stolen, there is always somebody out there who can hack the electronics. It's not worth the risk of the gun failing at the moment you need it to fire.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's a dream of the disillusioned. You cannot uninvent the conventional hand gun. Criminals will laugh at people that buy these as they continue to use one of the millions upon millions of conventional weapons that will not suddenly cease to exist.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'll take one of those smart guns that were on the Fifth Element, the ZF-1.

"Voila, the ZF-1. Its light; handles adjustable for easy carrying; good for righties and lefties; breaks down into four parts; undetectable by X-ray; ideal for quick discreet interventions. A word on firepower. Titanium recharger; 3000-round clip with bursts of 3 to 300. With the replay button, another Zorg invention, its even easier. One shot and replay send every following shot to the same location. And to finish the job, all the Zorg oldies but goldies. Rocket launcher... arrow launcher with exploding or poisonous gas heads, very practical... our famous net launcher... the always-efficient flamethrower, my favorite, and for the grand finale, the all-new Ice-cube System."

Yeah, I'd take one of those. Hell, I'd take 2

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I can't keep my damn Bluetooth connected for a full conversation. They expect me to trust this thing stay linked with a wrist watch while I am trying to defend my life? I'll pass.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Not going to happen! I am quite sure no gun owner (including police officers) in their right mind would want any weapon that has so many potential failure modes.

As has been stated criminals certainly wouldn't want one and with 300,000,000 firearms in the US today sure wouldn't have any problem retaining or stealing a reliable gun.

For that matter, I have seen working "Zip guns" made with automobile antennas, and a working 22 cal handgun fashioned from a cap pistol using a portion of tubing (may have been part of a brake line - can't remember) and a bit of ingenuity with a file and drill. A 12 year old boy (classmate) made one and brought it to my elementary school in the early 1950's, actually fired it 'fore the teacher took it! Wasn't really any danger, he didn't want to harm anything, fired it at a target fastened to a tree in the woods next to our playground, just wanted to show it off. If a 12 year old can make a firearm, most criminals could. I could see a lot of officers disarmed by either ripping the watch off or smashing it, if criminals knew the gun would be disabled without it.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Even if the government mandated that no gun could be made without "smart" technology, it wouldn't fly. No one would buy them. We will just continue to use current "dumb" technology and the gun manufacturers will go broke making guns they can't sell.

Top Bottom