• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This morning involved a mistake on my part that made my heart skip a beat, maybe two. I suppose it ended well enough, considering what might have been. The worst of it is that I damaged my Kimber Pro TLE II in the process and it is non-functional now until I order some relacement parts and make the repairs.

I thought there were a couple of valuable lessons learned here, so I figured that makes it worth sharing with the community, even if I get some well deserved criticism out of it. I accept that and figure its more important to share the experience so others can learn from my mistake.

Part of my morning "leave-the-house-for-work" routine includes the short walk from the back door to the garage. I typically carry my holstered Kimber to the truck, where I transfer it to a holster mounted under the steering wheel. This morning there was a little patch of ice that had formed in front of the overhead door on the garage. I lost my footing for just a moment and dropped my Kimber, which I always carry in Mode 1 - cocked and locked. I am not sure - have not had time to inspect the damage closely, but I believe the pistol landed on the hammer. The force of the impact broke a piece out of the backstrap just behind the grip safety, which left the grip safety free to swing beyond the backstrap, which normally captures it. The hammer ended in the down position, and can not be cocked. I can pull the hammer back, but it will not lock back. Obviously, the pistol will require repair before I can carry it again.

The good news is there was no accidental discharge. I thought this was worth mentioning here because I frequently read folks expressing reservations about carrying their 1911 in Mode 1. My experience this morning should prove there is nothing to worry about in that regard. I dropped my loaded Kimber on its hammer on a concrete surface, with enough impact to damage the weapon. The hammer moved to the down position, against the firing pin, with no discharge. So stop worrying about the safety of Mode 1 (just don't use my expensive method to prove it ;) ). I found this lesson learned to be a confidence booster, reinforcing what I already knew, i.e. that carrying a 1911 in Mode 1 is totally safe.

Of course the bad news is that I damaged my prized Kimber which I am typically very anal about keeping in top working order. This sucks but I will dis-assemble the pistol tonight, including removal of the backstrap, and try to determine exactly what parts I need to order to get it fully functional once again.

Needless to say, another valuable lesson learned from this experience is to be fully awake and vigilant about those few steps between the back door and the garage, especially when carrying a loaded handgun. Maybe I need some dance lessons too! :cool:

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am curios more than anything... don't get to see broken guns that often... Good luck getting her back together, but at least you have the chance to upgrade now... Did your kimber have a plastic mainspring housing?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    You might not have very much damage. A mainspring housing is all it may need.

I'm sure you'll check the sear and hammer step for damage and ensure that the safety didn't deform.

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse, cosmetically. Good thing you utilized a holster to move the gun.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I am curios more than anything... don't get to see broken guns that often... Good luck getting her back together, but at least you have the chance to upgrade now... Did your kimber have a plastic mainspring housing?

I don't know if it has a plastic mainspring housing, but I will find out in a couple of hours. I've never had the backstrap off the frame before.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If it broke chances are it is... a lot of kimbers come with them which never made sense to me since 400 dollar 1911's come with metal ones, but the 1200 kimbers use plastic. I kind of doubt a metal one would have broke.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You might not have very much damage. A mainspring housing is all it may need.

I'm sure you'll check the sear and hammer step for damage and ensure that the safety didn't deform.

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse, cosmetically. Good thing you utilized a holster to move the gun.

Thanks for the input. I will be sure to do a very close inspection of all the bits and pieces. This will be the first time I will have ever fully dis-assembled the frame on this pistol, or any other 1911 for that matter. I am looking forward to learning that process.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its not very hard, if you get hung up shoot me a PM w/ a phone number and I can call and walk you through it.... also look on youtube, lots of vids there.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Bet you broke the plastic mainspring housing and nothing more. I have replaced that part on my Kimbers. One of the very few flaws I see in their work. They will likely offer to send you the replacement part free and quick but I would replace with a steel part myself. Sorry for your luck. Sucks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm guessing that the part of the backstrap that broke was a "MIM" part. Most, but not all the 1911s on the market have some MIM parts in them. Its one reason why I typically carry a 1911 that is made from cast or forged parts. I've had MIM parts break, never had a 1911 made with cast and/or forged parts break.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Bet you broke the plastic mainspring housing and nothing more. I have replaced that part on my Kimbers. One of the very few flaws I see in their work. They will likely offer to send you the replacement part free and quick but I would replace with a steel part myself. Sorry for your luck. Sucks.

Any suggestions for replacement part? I'm thinking that if it is plastic, maybe I can order a higher quality steel replacement from Wilson Combat.

Last edited:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Kimber has them and might give you a discount since the original failed. Brownells has some good ones. When I replace the one on my Stainless Raptor I bought one from Brownells that had the scale like pattern on it that matched the rest of the Raptor.

I did have a Kimber ambo safety fail once after many rounds of practice. When I called them and told them it was my favorite carry gun they mailed me the part and I got it 2 days later, no charge.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The Kimber is plastic. Relatively cheap and nothing wrong with plastic there. The Kimber will be a drop in. I did the wilson with magwell on one of mine. I took it off the Kimber and switched out one on one of my Springers that a buddy has now.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I take it that this is a series 80 type firing system?

This is a great example of why you should make sure you have quality parts in your 1911, among other things...

Top Bottom