• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I got to take my brand-spanking-new Tactical Innovations, Inc. Tac65 suppressor out for the first time today. I was pleased with the performance. I don't have any other suppressor experience to compare it to, but I was happy with both the suppression and the overall performance.

The platform was a Walther P22. The barrel comes threaded from the manufacturer, but a thread adapter is necessary as the barrel does not protrude beyond the end of the slide, so there would be no way to attach the suppressor. The adapter runs about $40 and includes a thread protector.

The suppression level is not as quiet as I expected, but certainly MUCH quieter than without. If you smack a ruler on a desk or flip the clip on a clipboard, you have a pretty good idea of how loud the suppressed P22 is. You will hear a total of three noises: the crack of the gunpowder, the "thwap" when the bullet hits the paper, and the ricochet (or dirt thud) at the end of the range. Without the suppressor, all you will hear is "Bang!" The suppressed report is not the way it sounds in the movies. I would love one that makes that "laser"-y sound. :): The ricochet when the bullet strikes a pebble or something in the backstop, on the other hand, is exactly how it sounds in the movies. Sort of a ZZZZZZZIP!!! sound ;)

I used four different types of ammo. The first was Winchester XPert 22, followed by Federal 550 Bulk Pack, and Remington 550 Bulk Pack. Lastly, was Remington 22 Subsonic. All were purchased at my local Wal-Mart. As you can see from the photo, two are lead-nosed, and two are copper-washed. The bulk packs are around 1280 fps (factory-rated muzzle velocity), while the subsonics are around 1050 fps. While the subsonics were quieter, I didn't hear any appreciable difference between any of the four in terms of noise level, even when alternating standard rounds and subsonic rounds in the same magazine. In no case did I even remotely require ear plugs or other hearing protection. I expect a rifle (such as my 10/22) to be even quieter. I had no FTF's or FTE's with any of the ammo, once I realized I needed to take the safety off. :whistle:

vcnr8.jpg

Following approximately 100 rounds over a period of 15-20 minutes, the suppressor was hot to the touch. It was possible to handle it, but gingerly. I checked the tightness periodically and noticed that it kept loosening as I shot, so it was necessary to keep retightening it to the barrel. I didn't want to over-tighten it and risk damaging either the suppressor or the thread adapter.

As you can see from the target below, grouping was fairly consistent at about 12 yards. The scattering I attribute more to the low-quality ammo than to the suppressor. The shots to the left were most likely my poor shooting skills (I'll cop to that, but I'm getting better. :D ) At some point, I'll pick up some higher quality ammo such as CCI and see how that performs. One thing to note is that the suppressor tends to obscure the front sight post, making aiming more challenging.

1zclo9u.jpg

Is it worth the price of admission? I spent roughly $500 on the can, tax stamp, thread adapter, and nifty case (seen in the "NFA from a beginner's perspective" thread). I waited four months for it to arrive. The P22 is my new favorite pistol now. It's fun to shoot, and it looks sexy as hell.

The reality is that a suppressor only has two real uses: either it's a fun toy, or you need to shoot things quietly. I live in a subdivision, so the likelihood of me shooting anything, quietly or otherwise, is remote, just because I have no safe backstop (regardless, it's against city ordinance). My suppressor is an awesomely fun toy and even in the short time I was at the range it turned some heads. Is it worth $500? Well, that depends on you, really. If you can afford it and you aren't taking food away from your family, I would say go for it. If you have to decide between that and fixing your furnace, then you and I shouldn't even be having this discussion.

o07y41.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Yep, they are fun, aren't they? I was suprised at how loud my OutBack II was. I've played with several different ammos and you can tell the difference in the subsonics. If you have a chance to get soem Aguilla Colibri's (the ones without any powder) try them! It's like snapping your fingers, b ut still more power than your average pellet gun! I shoot mostly Federal Bulk Packs through my Ruger MKII, but teh Remington SubSonic HP's are funa nd a little bit quieter. It's amazing how much nose the bullet makes as it strikes different objects. First time out, I was shooting into a pond bank. it was fairly soft mud and there was a loud thump with every shot. In this video, my buddy is shooting his P22 with my OBII. It sounds louder than it really is, but you can still hear him ringing steel on a few shots.
    AC556 :: Tom P-22 video by Slow_Hand23 - Photobucket

Doug K

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Great review!! I do have a couple of questions.
    After getting the TAC65, do you wish you payed the extra money to get a slimmer one?
    How bad does it "block" the sights?
    Was it the suppressor or the Adapter that was coming loose?

I am seriously considering the Tac 65 to go with my P22. Sounds like it might be the way to go.:ar15:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Great review!! I do have a couple of questions.
    After getting the TAC65, do you wish you payed the extra money to get a slimmer one?
    How bad does it "block" the sights?
    Was it the suppressor or the Adapter that was coming loose?

I am seriously considering the Tac 65 to go with my P22. Sounds like it might be the way to go.:ar15:

There really isn't a slimmer one (that I know of). There are essentially two choices: a Gemtech or the Tac65. They're both similar in size and aspect ratio. I went with the Tac because it was cheaper and you can disassemble it for cleaning (not that I'll ever likely need to). Regardless, since it's essentially a toy, I probably would not have paid more just to get a slimmer one.

It doesn't block the sights bad. The top of the front post clears the can, so it's still usable, it's just something I wasn't expecting and it made me change how I aim.

Lastly, it was the suppressor, not the adapter that was coming loose. The adapter was tightened with the wrench that comes with the P22, while the suppressor is hand-tightened.

If you decide to get the Tac, I highly recommend talking to Britton at 21st Century.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    this may be a silly question, but could you tell me where you got those targets? i've never seen them in more than 1 color and i think thats nifty as hell

They are "Dirty Bird Multi-Color Splattering Targets". This was a 20-pack of 8" targets for $12. I know that 21st Century sells them, but I'm not sure where I bought these. The manufacturer website is Birchwood Casey

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I want a sexy can!
    singin glamorous but spelling...

G E M T E
    G E M T ECH

OK that's enough dreamin of Fergi with her (a) sexy can. :rolleyes:

Congrats again and thanks for the writeup.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    There really isn't a slimmer one (that I know of). There are essentially two choices: a Gemtech or the Tac65. They're both similar in size and aspect ratio. I went with the Tac because it was cheaper and you can disassemble it for cleaning (not that I'll ever likely need to). Regardless, since it's essentially a toy, I probably would not have paid more just to get a slimmer one.

It doesn't block the sights bad. The top of the front post clears the can, so it's still usable, it's just something I wasn't expecting and it made me change how I aim.

Lastly, it was the suppressor, not the adapter that was coming loose. The adapter was tightened with the wrench that comes with the P22, while the suppressor is hand-tightened.

If you decide to get the Tac, I highly recommend talking to Britton at 21st Century.
    Hey, thanks for the response!!:ingo: I'll defiantly keep that in mind. :rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Nice write-up; thanks for taking the time. If you like the way the can sounds on your Walther, you will go nuts when you put it on your 10/22 and run subsonics. You can also hold the bolt closed, and then the only thing you hear is a pffft and the round hitting the target. It's about as close to "Hollywood quiet" as you can get; still no "pew-pew" though. :):

It will be interesting to run several brands of .22 suppressors side-by-side at NFA Day.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Where did that bulgy74 post go.
    I wanted to neg rep the creep for implying you got a fake can.
    Hey wait a second your reply post was gone also. Is someone censoring stuff now?

I am sorry bout the gemtech song. but tincan didn't work as good.
    I think a GSG 5 and one of these would be sweet for a prairie dog gun.

Have you tried your Tac 65 wet?
    Both the gemtech and bowers sites refer to light oil as extra reduction. Could that be why? Or does TI recomend against oil.

About the Calibri primer only .22 those are quiet in my Phoenix arms HP22. Cap gun guiet. I would be afraid the bullet would get stuck in the can using those. They are less than 550fps and the baseones recomend against using them in full length rifles for that reason. The Super Colibris are hotter @ 650fps if I remember.
    I have a box of the regulars if you want to try them. Swing by 49 & rte 30 next time you are up this way Scut.
    As for not bein able to hear the difference...You are a Mosin Artilleryman aren't you?

I would be surprised if you can't tell when the phone is ringing from the constant ringing from that boom. lol

Good luck!
    I would throw the calibri in an envelope and mail it if I wasn't afraid of going to jail over it.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    If you like the way the can sounds on your Walther, you will go nuts when you put it on your 10/22 and run subsonics.

Better yet a CZ452 American with the can is the best. We have found that this set up is better than Hollywood quite. We have shot them in the back of the shop while customers go about their shopping and no one even looks up.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I would throw the calibri in an envelope and mail it if I wasn't afraid of going to jail over it.
    If I'm not mistaken, you can legally ship ammunition. It just has to be marked ORM-D. I think the post office will even allow you to do it. It is not Hazmat so you don't need the training etc to legally ship.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Sweet! I remember hearing my first suppressor. I expected a small "ptew" but that is only in the movies. I still like them because how else do you shoot a 45 without hearing protection? Looks like you did very well with your purchase.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    This might be my next purchase/project.

To anyone reading:

I've heard about FTF/FTE issues with the P22(I also hear cans make it worse)...Has anyone here had problems?

Top Bottom