• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So, my final goal of this project is going to be an SBR AR15 in 300blk. My question is this: Can I purchase an off-the-shelf AR lower (tagged either 300blk or Multi Caliber) and build it as an AR pistol (making sure not to purchase any kind of shoulderable stock for it), and shot it as a pistol while waiting on my SBR tax stamp to come back, then slap a stock on it and be ready to go with an SBR?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So, my final goal of this project is going to be an SBR AR15 in 300blk. My question is this: Can I purchase an off-the-shelf AR lower (tagged either 300blk or Multi Caliber) and build it as an AR pistol (making sure not to purchase any kind of shoulderable stock for it), and shot it as a pistol while waiting on my SBR tax stamp to come back, then slap a stock on it and be ready to go with an SBR?

Short answer: Yup

Longer answer: Yes, as long as the lower has never been assembled into a rifle at any point (so either a stripped lower or a pistol lower), you are good to go.

bitterfitter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2016
    CROWN POINT
    Yep, until you get the tax stamp back its just a pistol. Keep in mind that that lower will always be an SBR after that, so if you think you might want something a little higher end or billet or what-not, go ahead and spend the money now.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Don't forget to have it engraved b4 you slap the stock on it but after you get the tax stamp back.
    If you apply today you might even have it for spring/summer of 2017

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget to have it engraved b4 you slap the stock on it but after you get the tax stamp back.
    If you apply today you might even have it for spring/summer of 2017

I was under the impression that it only needed engraved if it was to be sold, is this incorrect?. Also, I'm not submitting until I have my barrel in hand, just so I know i'm submitting the proper info.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This long winded answer is coming from me, an LEO here in NWI that deals with and has buddies in the ATF branch both in Merrillville and Chicago:

People get caught up in the verbiage of "commerce" in the ruling as to imply only if your'e selling and tend to forget or read how they want the surrounding word "manufacturer". Regardless of sales, YOU are the manufacturer of the SBR and by definition are required to engrave at minimum name, city, state.

I'm not here to debate that stance. I know a lot of "internet keyboard commando lawyers" will say this that or the other to the contrary, that's fine, I don't care.

To my point, you have too many people in a position of authority with the ability to interpret this in a manner that may affect you without very much guidance and direction.
    With that said, you are completely safe from any type of ramifications by just getting it engraved. This is the only sure fire way to not have to deal with any potential BS.
    This is about the time the "internet keyboard commando lawyers" say, I'll sue, I'll this, blah blah blah." Go ahead, if you win great, if you don't whatever. Think of the time and money "wasted" on your vindication. I for one am not looking to be a martyr for this cause, my time and money is worth more to me with my family than in court or jail.
    My interpretation of it, as a LEO, is that it needs to be engraved. All it takes is the wrong situation, with the wrong people mixed with their interpretation to be the beginning to the end. We spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year on insurance that prevents us from minor fines if we are caught without it. Think of the engraving as a one time $50 insurance policy that keeps you out of the federal courts. To me that alone is worth the cost.

Again, I'm not trying to start a debate on this. People are free to interpret and decide on their own. All I'm saying is WITH the engraving you err on the side of caution that NO ONE CAN QUESTION.

Last edited:

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ABSOLUTELY! If i knew all the answers, I wouldn't be posting questions here on the forums, so I appreciate/respect your opinions/advice. I'll be sure to get it engraved once I get my tax stamp. Again, thanks for your input, that's why I'm posting here.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Short answer: Yup

Longer answer: Yes, as long as the lower has never been assembled into a rifle at any point (so either a stripped lower or a pistol lower), you are good to go.

A complete lower with a stock is still not a rifle, so as long as its never had a barrel on it, it would also be eligible. You would have to remove the stock before building it as a pistol, but it is legal.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    One piece of advice I have heard is to get it engraved before submitting your F1. Reason being is that if your engraver screws up and you want to use another lower, you haven't already submitted paperwork with that serial number on it. I use Allen at Diamond collision for my engraving so I don't have to worry, but it's not a bad idea.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    One piece of advice I have heard is to get it engraved before submitting your F1. Reason being is that if your engraver screws up and you want to use another lower, you haven't already submitted paperwork with that serial number on it. I use Allen at Diamond collision for my engraving so I don't have to worry, but it's not a bad idea.

I engraved first as well but used Indy Laser Engraving.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Same situation as you. Bought a lower and applied for the stamp. Started ordering parts while I waited. Got disapproved because of a typo. Bought a pistol buffer and put it together (just today actually).

Top Bottom