• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    After three months(paid) of just waiting following my incident. I was finally called in for a meeting with my supervisors at 8am this morning. The person in charge showed up 30 minutes late to let me know she was "not going to drag this out." and that I was being terminated for failure to comply with their policy of weapon banning.

I had worked there for 8 years. I can't say as this was completely unexpected, as this is standard operating procedure for YUM! foods inc.(Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC). But, it sure shows the kind of attitude that many large companies have towards their indentured servants (aka wage slaves, aka employees)

I did drag it out just a little, because I felt like I needed a little more than "screw you, get out." (Hell, they got me out of bed at 8am for a meeting there had to be more to it.) I thought maybe severance pay of some sort or at least some sort of personal statement like "If I had the choice" or "I'm sorry there was nothing we could do." Or even just "Sorry." But, I was met with the cold eyes of someone whose only concern is for dollar signs and company profit.

Don't get me wrong everyone else in chain of command has a heart. This one not so much. (This is the same person when minimum wage was raised recently - no one got a pay increase, new hires and long time employees paid minimum wage side by side.)

Some high points of the 5 minute conversation.

She brought up safety. I responded that if safety was a concern someone would have been a little quicker on the back door that had been broken for months (It sure is fixed now.) Or there would be real security cameras instead of fake globes with nothing behind them (Actually, I know for fact that they were put there not to deter robbers, but rather to deter employees from eating product.)

I brought up severance pay. She responded I had already been paid while on suspension. I replied that had I known this was where it was going I would have used money to pursue other employment. She said "you're free to try unemployment and see if that helps."

I brought up the fact that everyone in the store could have been dead. Her reply? Everyone could be dead even though you had your gun. (Silent confused staring...)

My parting words - "I'm being punished for someone else commiting an armed robbery. Now, I'm going to struggle to feed my children. Have a nice life."

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Hire a lawyer, sue them for failing to provide adequate security, since they have assumed the responsibility to do so by denying you the ability.

Seriously.

Their failure has caused you damages. Because of their failure, you are now out of a job. I'm absolutely certain you have suffered emotional pain and distress caused by their negligence, and will continue to for quite some time. They are liable for that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Geez, that hurts. No magic words of wisdom from me as I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. I'd definitely think a bit about all of my options.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm glad you weren't surprised by the corporate actions. You have my sympathies for what little it's worth, and hopes you can find another job soon. It's also worth a call to the local paper. One of the reasons they take this long is to allow the story to die off and everyone to forget about it, so it'll be less of a stink for them when they fire you after their failure to provide adequate security for their corporate policy of making employees sitting ducks. It also might land you another job prospect from a more sympathetic local company, especially if the article can play up your long employment and good record.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Well I had just gotten off the phone today with my wife with plans of ordering Pizza Hut Pizza for dinner tonight! That not only has changed but I am calling the manager of the store and telling them WHY they are NOT getting this order or any future orders from me or anyone else in my family!

Pizza Hut - www.[B]pizza[/B]hut.com
    2425 Broadway St, Anderson - (765) 643-6909

I'm sure they'd like to hear from us!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Look at it this way. You probably knew it was against policy to carry. But, you (like I, would have done,) decided to carry anyway. You didnt just loose a job, you may have saved your life others. At some point in time, you had to think, well if I carry and have to use it, I'll probably be fired but at least I'll be alive. Thats way better than a crappy job.
    No one knows how they will react until they are in a situation like this.

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    .... It's also worth a call to the local paper. One of the reasons they take this long is to allow the story to die off and everyone to forget about it, so it'll be less of a stink for them when they fire you after their failure to provide adequate security for their corporate policy of making employees sitting ducks. It also might land you another job prospect from a more sympathetic local company, especially if the article can play up your long employment and good record.

Exactly my thinking as well. But, for purposes of truth in advertising - their decision does also coincide with the criminal conviction and closure of their corporate insurance case.

When I was talking with my father after the meeting he suggested just the opposite that now the story has died off and no one remembers my name. But, a story in the paper may label me a "trouble maker" and hurt my chances at finding employment. He said take a day and think about it, that's what I'm gonna do.

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Look at it this way. You probably knew it was against policy to carry. But, you (like I, would have done,) decided to carry anyway. You didnt just loose a job, you may have saved your life others. At some point in time, you had to think, well if I carry and have to use it, I'll probably be fired but at least I'll be alive. Thats way better than a crappy job.
    No one knows how they will react until they are in a situation like this.

Yes. I had those precise thoughts

paddling_man: What does your attorney say?

Attorneys cost money. And if you will note my previous place of employment....

If I thought were a case, I would. And if I "have" to go to court for any reason I take a lawyer (Lesson hard learned.) But, as rhart pointed out I knew the rules, just decided that they didn't apply to me.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Exactly my thinking as well. But, for purposes of truth in advertising - their decision does also coincide with the criminal conviction and closure of their corporate insurance case.

When I was talking with my father after the meeting he suggested just the opposite that now the story has died off and no one remembers my name. But, a story in the paper may label me a "trouble maker" and hurt my chances at finding employment. He said take a day and think about it, that's what I'm gonna do.

Your father has good advice too. It could go either way. If I had a position open (I own a small company) I'd be more inclined to hire you. But the manager of a corporate giant might be less inclined to do so.

Regardless, I wish you the best. Any of us who make the decision to carry against company policy run the exact same risk you did. At least you are alive and healthy.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I also suggest hiring a lawyer. I'm not usually one to beat the suing horse, but they are responsible for the security of their employees. Having to take their employees safety into your own hands because of their inability and losing your job for it definitely warrants a civil suit.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    If I was you I would try and sue for eveything you can get. And ill never eat pizza hut again if they are that anti gun.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You have a unique situation that is relevant to this board. This gun board has many members, a percentage of whom can make hires. If I were you, I'd PM Fenway and ask if he can issue a prominent post in some of the forums for some of the members here who might be interested in hiring a guy in your situation. I'd think some of the gun shop owners might be interested.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I do completely understand your thoughts and I feel the same and carrying. But in today's Obama economy, I could not have afforded to jeopardize my family income over this. I would have left it in the car.
    As people's free spendable income diminishes, so does our visit to restaurants. I understand about not giving any raises out. I've owned some of there stock. Not doing the best, but doing ok.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I do completely understand your thoughts and I feel the same and carrying. But in today's Obama economy, I could not have afforded to jeopardize my family income over this. I would have left it in the car.
    As people's free spendable income diminishes, so does our visit to restaurants. I understand about not giving any raises out. I've owned some of there stock. Not doing the best, but doing ok.
    Yote, you do know that he shot a robber inside Pizza Hut, right?

Top Bottom