• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What size semi-auto do you pefer to Conceal Carry?

• Total voters

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Do you carry a full-size handgun and if so WHY? Want to discuss the advantages of carrying a full size pistol as opposed to going for maximum concealment with a subcompact.

By full size I mean Beretta, Glock 17, 1911 etc.
    by subcompact I mean Glock 26, Kahr CW9; LCP etc.
    Just to clarify!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I used to carry a Beretta 92, a full size 1911, a Smith 4506 (VERY hard to carry) and a Smith 686 4" alot a while ago. The key is a proper carry holster and a darn good belt, especially for the heavier guns. CABO holsters were great for the 4506.

I noticed in my drills the full size guns returned to target faster, were generally easier to reload than subcompacts, but that is me. The extra firepower is really nice too.

Thank goodness we have the Glock 19, compact, but with the controllability and firepower of a larger gun.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Do full-size and subcompact XD models count? I started with a full-size XD in 9mm, but I've been looking to replace it with a subcompact model. It's just a tad too big to be carried comfortably in my pants (with a SmartCarry, at least).

For reference, I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I prefer to carry a full sized auto, despite the fact that my current gun is a sub-compact. After carrying it for a while, I've decided that a double column mag sub-compact semi auto really isn't all that much easier to conceal than a full sized gun, and I think I could actually conceal my wife's 1911 easier than I can my XD9sc if I got a Kholster for the 1911 due to the slimmer single column mag profile of the bigger gun. The full size guns are easier to shoot well at ranges past 15 yards, though the smaller gun is faster to draw and quicker handling. Hits at longer ranges are certainly possible, but takes more practice, and are slower to achieve. Subbies just take more work to shoot well, and some are not terribly pleasant to shoot, though my little XD is actually a real sweetheart.

Neither is as nice for carrying as my old 3" Ruger SP101, but 5 shots is a limitation.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I tried to carry a HK USP Tactical in .45 for a while.
    If I was willing to open carry, or off-body carry it wouldn't have been so bad.

It's an awful large, blocky gun for daily concealed carry though.
    The HK P30 / G19 / Sig P229 are all far better suited for daily carry.

I've not tried to carry any of the subcompacts. I think the compact is the ideal balance between size and concealability.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I prefer to be carrying my G19 (and that's where I voted)... but it is simply to big to reliably conceal at work, in shorts and t-shirt, or IWB all day long, etc.. I carry my P3AT all day, everyday... that is until the time is right to be able to carry my G19 (i.e. after work trips away from the house, weekend, etc.)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I prefer to carry a compact and a subcompact gun at the same time, k40 and p3at.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    My preference, is a G17 in a Comp-tac OWB holster.

I do like the G19 gen II guns, but the genIII G19s fingergrooves on the grip bother the hell out of me. (My #1 carry gun is also a genII G17.)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    A lot of it is what you get used to. I've carried a 1911-style handgun for almost 40 years, and I'm used to it. I don't care if it prints, and I'm proficient with it. Those that know me, know I'm carrying (and most likely what), and those that don't know me, are most likely too absorbed in their own world to give a damn...... and that suits me just fine.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    After trying several variations of gun sizes and holsters I have setteled on an XD40sc in a Galco concealment holster. I believe that this is the best trade off for me of concealment and firepower. 9+1 JHP in .40 provides this balance.

I personally believe in concealment and with a long shirt or jacket this gives a no worry rig.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Sig 226

I've cc'd my Sig 226 for twenty years now. On occaision I pocket a Ruger SP101 if my clothing absolutely will not conceal the sig. I have also carried both a Glock 17 and a 19 although my wife has recently appropriated the 19 for herself.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Full size gives me every benefit I'm looking for.
    Concealment would be about 90th on my list of desired features.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    When I CC, I carry my G27
    When I OC, I carry my G27
    I OC about 90% of the time.
    Even if I get other handguns, I couldn't see attempting to CC them, as my G27 works great.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I CC a G19 in an inside the waistband holster. The only time it is hard to carry is when I have to dress up for say a wedding (church I just wear jeans and a button down shirt untucked) when everything needs to be tucked in. I just need to invest in a tuckable holster.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Advantages to carrying full-size

1. Allows easier manipulation, more to grab on to. Easier to manipulate (especially running slide one handed) one handed as spring is not as strong as a matter of design.

2. Less prone to malfunction in positions of distress (i.e. rolling around on ground). Ever been to class and see how many Type III malfs a class gets by shooting on their backs or sides? The little guns are prone to limp wristing down there where you may be fighting.

3. Relatively longer sight radius. It helps, to what degress, not certain.

To quote Clint Smith, "it's a big gun when I put it on; it's a big gun when I take it out."

I've carried a gummint-sized 1911 since I was 13 and I believe that the key is a good holster and belt.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I carried (and just for the moment still do) a Glock 22. The reason has nothing to do with the physical size of the gun. I carry what I can shoot best, shot placement is number 1. As far as concealment, the Glock is not a problem I carry strong side IWB.

I have recently purchased a Kahr PM45 that I'm going to switch to. My original intention was just to obtain another pocket gun that would be a supplement to my regular carry weapon. But after shooting the PM45 (I'm still in the process of breaking it in) I decided to switch to it. Not for ease of carry but because I shoot it so well.

The only advantage to carrying a full size for personal protection that concerns me is the larger magazine capacity. That can be overcome by carrying more than one mag.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I am going the other way, away from the CW9 up to the Glock 19, double the rounds but still 9mm and not that much heavier to carry.

Now that I have found an IWB cant that I like (@30 degrees @ 4-o'clock) , it makes carry a lot more comfortable.

Top Bottom