Police pull you over and you have a gun in the vehicle..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I have been pulled over for speeding alot in the past and had always gotten a ticket. Since Ive been packing Ive been pulled over about 3 or 4 times and have not received a single ticket. I always inform the police officer that I have a pistol on me and a permit. I know they appreciate that I tell them immediately that Im packing and I also feel they respect that I am, thus, no ticket.

The point of the story is - I feel Ive gotten out of tickets because of my gun....
    Has this ever happend to anyone? Please share your stories..

SEIGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2008
    Ripley Co.
    have not been pulled over yet w/ mine but my town marshal said what u are doing is the best procedure. u are safe and u are letting the officer know u are on his side. (except for the potential ticket:):)

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Pulled over twice with the gun in the car. Both times between the seat and center console, loaded.

Me: Pulled over, hazards on, keys above the steering column, driver's window all the way down.
    LEO: "License and registration please."
    Me: "I'm going to tell you first thing that I have a firearm in the vehicle and that I am licensed for it. What would you like me to do first?" *LEO's grip tightens a bit on his piece and turns it away slightly*
    LEO: "Where is it, is it loaded, need to see the permit along with DL and Reg, don't reach for it. *hands paperwork over* Sit tight."
    blah blah blah

I'm 50/50. One ticket for 79/70 from a state boy and a warning from Bartholomew County Sheriff.

Paul Kersey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Mine is always concealed and I don't bring it up unless I would be asked to step out of the car. I'm not required to tell the LEO unless I am asked, so I just generally let sleeping dogs lie and I've never had a problem. Of course, I don't keep my heater the same place I would keep a license/registration. ;-)

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    My husband is a deputy and he has always appreciated the "hey, I have a firearm how do you want to proceed" approach. When I am in the car the gun is usually in my purse on the front seat. Occasionally is it between the seats. If it is out I would tell the LEO, if not I wouldn't. They have nothing to fear from me.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Agreeing with Paul. Why bring it up? I keep it concealed and don't mention it unless I'm ordered out of the vehicle.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    When having my car searched (rented car, this is how drug dealers move drugs) they ran my license with me in the car. The answer back was just how many points I had on my license (0). Yes, yes the search was fine and I walked away without a ticket for failing to signal for 300 feet.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I have been pulled over a couple times, all with different reactions.

SR-267 and I-70, I had just bought my truck and had my car plates on it. The officer pulled me over and I gave him my license and my permit. He didn't really seem to care.

116th and Keystone, I get pulled over for the same thing a few days later. I give the officer my license only. She asks if there is anything in the vehicle that she should be worried about. I said I had my handgun and she freaked out. She asked if I had a permit, and also asked to see my brother's ID and permit for his. We were also treated like crap because that's what Carmel police do to outsiders.

38th / Bennett Drive (in front of Kroger), I get pulled over for some BS reasons. (The cops were trying to meet quotas, he even admitted it). I gave him my license and permit. He goes back to his car, and when he comes back he says he appreciates my honesty and that he will be honest with me. He pulled me over for speeding, swerving, changing lanes without signaling, and my license plate lights not working. All of which were BS reasons because I never changed lanes, I wasn't swerving I moved to the outside of my lane to avoid a cop that had someone else pulled over for BS reasons, I definitely wasn't speeding as there were cops with people pulled over all up and down 38th street, and my license plate lights were more than functional.

So overall, I am -1, 0, and +1.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I've been pulled over 4 times in the past three years, and the officers never brought up my LtCH. Either it doesn't show, or they don't care.

I'll ask a cop tonight and find out if one doesn't reply ITT.

When having my car searched (rented car, this is how drug dealers move drugs) they ran my license with me in the car. The answer back was just how many points I had on my license (0). Yes, yes the search was fine and I walked away without a ticket for failing to signal for 300 feet.

This sounds like an interesting story. Did the officer have specific and articulatable cause to search you, or did you give permission?

Also, where were the drugs hidden?

Last edited:

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    If I'm ever pulled over in Indiana, I'm going to comply with everything the LEO tells me to do while keeping my mouth shut, and both hands on the top of the steering wheel. Hopefully, the ordeal will end without incident.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I completely disagree with those who just wouldnt say anything unless asked.. I am currently in IMPD's process and if i become an officer i would want to know from the start - if i pulled you over and noticed the weapon and wasnt told about it, i would automatically feel like you were trying to hide it and even know you have a permit i prolly wouldnt be too friendly after that point. It doesnt take any longer to hand the officer your permit with your drivers license...:noway:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    IIRC, It was not mandated by Indiana law to notify law enforcement that you are carrying a firearm. However, if they ask... then you must notify them.

I could be wrong... but I prefer the don't ask, don't tell method.

I think it keeps honest people honest. :):

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I completely disagree with those who just wouldnt say anything unless asked.. I am currently in IMPD's process and if i become an officer i would want to know from the start - if i pulled you over and noticed the weapon and wasnt told about it, i would automatically feel like you were trying to hide it and even know you have a permit i prolly wouldnt be too friendly after that point. It doesnt take any longer to hand the officer your permit with your drivers license...:noway:

Two LEOs that I know and respect tremendously both prefer to know if someone is carrying but they did not feel like they could give definitive advice because other LEOs may react differently.

I have shared the following experiences in another forum. My experiences without telling were better that when those when I notified the LEO.

One night, while I had taken my brother to meet with an IMPD detective to testify against a bad guy, we had a big "scare" at my house. I won't annoy you with the details, but I was on my way home so I got there before the police (my wife had called 911). I had just cleared the perimeter of the house and met with my wife at the front door when the police got there. As they were walking toward us, I turned toward them, holstered the pistol slowly and in plain view, and greeted them. The lady freaked out. She kept asking me why I was trying to hide my pistol. I told her that I holstered it because I did not want to her to shoot at me. :): Then, she would not believe my wife that I was her husband and that it had been someone else banging frantically on our door. :n00b: In the end, she unloaded my magazine and told me to not load it until they leave. Her partner was cool the whole time. When I thank them and apologized for wasting their time, the lady just walked away. :rolleyesedit: Lesson learned for me.

The other case, when I backed out of my garage early in the morning, I saw a cop looking for something down the alley. I was going to ask him if he needed help, but no one else was there so I figured he would fine. When he finally saw me, he shone the flashlight toward me and told me to stop. The local Village Pantry had just been robbed and I fit the description of the rober. After talking for a few minutes, he saw my pistol grip sticking out of the laptop bag in the passanger seat and asked, "What about your pistol?". I said, "What about it?". Him, "Do you have a permit?". Me, "Yes, sir." Him, "Please hand me the bag slowly."

Other officers got there shortly thereafter and the guy who stopped me told them that he did not believe I was the guy they were looking for, but since I fit the description he'd have the cashier look at me anyway. When I was clear, he handed me back my bag, thanked me for the cooperation, and apologized for the inconvenience. During this whole thing, my pistol never even left my laptop bag.

In the first case, I made it apparent that I had a firearm and that it was in safe place and got in trouble. The second case, I did not bring it up, it was found, and my experience was better than the first.

In another thread I also described two other stops, one mine and the other my wife's, pistols were never mentioned, DL's were run, and everything went smooth.

Sorry, but based on my experiences, if I will be stopped again, I will not bring up the fact that I am carrying unless it is relevant.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington

Why is it any of your business in the first place? "Oh officer, by the way, I have a gun and a permit but no intention of doing you harm" You may be less friendly if I dont tell you, but some LEO WONT be friendly either way. I think you stand to catch more BS than the Brownie points you (may or may not) gain by telling the LEO. Also, I wouldn't consider that I am trying to hide something- I am trying to reduce the amount of hassle I have to go through- and your's. As I've said elsewhere, once I mention it the LEO has to do something. You tell him nothing, he has no obligation to react to someone who wasnt going to hurt him in the first place. And while I sincerely mean no disrespect to the many upstanding LEO we have, let me say this- there arent many people that I trust to take my gun from me, and just because you have a badge does not mean I trust your judgment. Sorry. One of the guys I respect the most is a Schererville PD officer, but I know that there are plenty of guys who ruin the reputation for guys like him. Sorry again, but I see no need to hand over my gun to you when I have no idea if you are to be trusted or not. I appreciate that the job you guys do is hard and uncertain, but I feel like I stand to lose more than you stand to gain.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I understand that ur average joe isnt going to harm the LEO but have you ever heard of common courdesy?.. like i said before ive been pulled over or been in a vehicle that was pulled over a total of 4 times. From my experience, EVERY single time i have told the officer, they thanked me for doing so. out of those 4 times only 1 time did they take my gun becuz it was on my hip and they needed my license so they pulled me out and put it on the floor board of the car i was in... my friend was driving and he had a gun next to him and they left him alone... not once during any of my 4 pull overs did i feel threatend, harassed...

this is just hypothetically speaking, but if you get pulled over and dont tell the officer, and they see the gun you may get a gun pulled on you, pulled out of the car and cuffed until they can confirm that you have a permit.... the officer doesnt know you, for all he knows ur the piece of crap that shot the pregnant bank teller last week...

any LEO on here??? lets hear from you guys to help set this straight...:n00b:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom