• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Dispute over tire rims led to shootout
    7/2/2009 10:56 a.m.
    A Craigslist trade gone awry has left three men in custody after a debate about price led to gunshots being fired outside of a Subway restaurant yesterday.

Lafayette Police said 27-year-old Edward Mercer, 26-year-old Jarrod Rodriguez, and 49-year-old Eugene Hall, all of Hammond, Ind. have been arrested on preliminary charges of armed robbery.

Police said the three men from Hammond met two men from Indianapolis at the Subway on State Road 38 East in Lafayette during the dinner hours on Wednesday.

The men were negotiating the price of customized tires and rims which the pair from Indianapolis had placed on the internet website Craigslist when shots were fired, police said.

Witnesses at the scene told police one of the men from Hammond fired the first shot and the victim shot back.

Both parties were armed.

The Indianapolis men were not arrested pending review of the prosecutor.

Police say the men from Hammond had one gun used in the shooting.

The victims had two guns, one used in the shooting and one police found later in the victims' vehicle.

No one was injured in the shooting, but a window was shot out of an empty store nearby.

Unique circumstances enabled police to respond to this situation extremely quickly.

"Ironically we had an officer right across the street at the Family Express towing a vehicle when this all happened, so he actually was witness to the shots being fired. At least, hearing the shots being fired," said Lafayette Sergeant Bob Baumgartner.

That officer, John Wells, immediately called for backup. One of the groups involved in the shooting took off in a van. They were pulled over within minutes on 350 South near U-S 52. Others were confronted by police in the Subway parking lot.

-

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Intesting read. Whole reason when doing ftf meets or transactions I require a down payment sent via paypal or equivalent. That sorta lets me know that the buyer is serious and more than likely will not play any funny business when time comes to meet. But you still never know now days with folks.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    That's why I carry when I sell anything, and why I carried when I met a guy right off of 38 at the Mobil 1 station that was from IL buying a set of heads from me.

But yeah. No mention of whether or not any of the five guys were licensed to carry.

Bulgy74

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Intesting read. Whole reason when doing ftf meets or transactions I require a down payment sent via paypal or equivalent. That sorta lets me know that the buyer is serious and more than likely will not play any funny business when time comes to meet. But you still never know now days with folks.

LOL @ "Funny business" and "serious" while looking at your AV!

Slim7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Fishers
    agree, not a well written story. What a weird bunch of circumstances. Does make you wonder if any of them were carrying legally. I have a set of rims on Craigslist now, guess I better keep one in the chamber if I deliver.

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    geez well the guys selling looks like they didnt even get arested or into any troble at all, good cause it seems like they were just defending themselves.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    It said that the only three arrested were the ones from Hammond, So I assume the "victims" were legal, or they surely would have been arrested as well.
    I saw this story on WLFI.com | Lafayette, Indiana Headlines, Weather and Video , there were some scaredy people posting comments on the article like: I was there and sooo scared for my life.
    Give me a frickin break. You cant defend yourself these days without a thousand people around and "in harm's way".

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I always do FTF deals at an abandoned warehouse parking lot. My wife sets up on the roof, with the sun at her back, with her sniper rifle. I wear an earpiece and have a panic code phrase to signal her to take them down. I wear kevlar vest. Kids video tape and have 911 on speed dial. Bug-out Audi RS6 just in case. Dye pack, of course.

I TRY to learn a few things from 24 in my spare time.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    In FTF deals made through here , I think it's safe to assume both parties are armed . Not that it's needed for the deal , but just in case you run into something along the way .

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    WOW boys and girls I am really surprised at my INGO brothers and sisters.

The amount of racial undertones here is shocking.

Remember all the "Anti-guns" need is one statement taken out of content lets try to keep some things unsaid.

Top Bottom