• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Does anyone else use a Smartcarry? Yesterday I received a size small Smartcarry holster for my J-frame and I'm just kicking myself for not trying this sooner. I'm so happy with it I just had to make a post.

My preferred carry rig is a Glock 19 in a Comp-tac MTAC or a 1911 in a Milt Sparks SSII, but there are situations where I can't carry IWB (i.e. when wearing gym shorts) and there are a couple of places I frequent where I need deep concealment. Before the Smartcarry I was pocket-carrying my J-frame, but it did print a little bit with some of my jeans. This gun positively disappears with the Smartcarry holster... I can just barely make out the bulge of the handle in the mirror; there is no real printing.

Tonight I went to the gym wearing the Smartcarry and lifted weights... I consider this to be the ultimate test of the holster due to the need to wear gym shorts and the unconventional movements lifting requires. My gun remained perfectly concealed and relatively comfortable.

It took some adjusting to get it comfortable... the holster works best when it rides really low, with the gun hanging right in front of your junk. At first I made the mistake of strapping it around my waist - the holster works best when wrapped around your hips, right below the hip bones in the front.

The only drawbacks that I can see are slower draw speed and the need to wear relaxed-fit or carpenter jeans. I also wonder about corrosion over the long-term... the Smartcarry puts the gun in a sweaty place.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I put in an order just yesterday and should have it within the week for my Kahr. I was wanting to see how it worked when exercising as well. It does have a moisture resistant backing which should prevent direct soak-thru. I share your concern about moisture, but I've done a lot of searching on the web and haven't found any complaints on that point. I also like the optional security pocket for cash, etc.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have the large one and just use safety pins to size it for smaller pistols. I have worn mine while running (not from the police) with no problems.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I love mine!!

Where I currently work, there can't be any outward sign that I'm carrying. I have a tuckable IWB, but it's just not as comfortable or easy to wear as the Smartcarry..

A pair of relaxed fit khaki pants and very little can be seen, and a pleated pair doesn't show ANYTHING..

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've got a Thunderwear. Basically the same thing. Great but it adds a whole new meaning to righty.lefty. ;) Also, using the urinal becomes an artform. :)

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    I've thought about this method of carry several times, given my work situation. A green apron would add some extra print insurance. Glad to see it's getting good reviews.

Know anyone who carries them in-store? I have a big thing for instant gratification, so I try to avoid needing to order stuff online.

Oh, and the puns abound in my head with this holster, especially after looking at it. Being the gentleman that I am, however, I shall keep them to myself.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Josh, I drive about two hours a day, five days a week with mine. I've done 4 hours in the car (with a stop for gas) as well. It's pretty comfortable, but you have to make sure of two things..

First, make sure the holster you get is big enough for your handgun. They have several sizes, and if you go too small, your handgun will dig into your gut. I typically don't, but I can (and have) carried a full-size Glock and a 1911 in mine.

Second, you'll have to test-fit the holster to find out where it'll best fit ON YOU. Everybody's different, and you'll have to experiment with it to see what's going to work best..

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Depends on the gun, your build and how you, uh... orient yourself. I find it very comfortable with a lil P3AT or 642 when standing or walk. Typically, sitting is a bit constrained. Quite uncomfortable driving... Your mileage may vary depending on your personal ergonomics.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    So far the holster has been really comfortable for me when sitting and driving but I've only had it a couple of days.
    I think it would be next to impossible to draw from it while sitting or driving.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm thinking about one of these. The smart carry will handle much larger firearms, but I imagine would be tough to conceal if you need to use a public toilet for something more than a urinal.

I also purchased the Centerline Holster when I purchased my MTAC, even though it seemed pricy for what it is. This is only good for the P3AT or LCP, but seems like a good solution for places where a gun might risk termination. The only thing I wonder is if the black will show through a dress shirt that I have to wear at work. I could see changing the cord to white and having a white piece of fabric hanging in front of the pistol and holster.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I'm thinking about one of these. The smart carry will handle much larger firearms, but I imagine would be tough to conceal if you need to use a public toilet for something more than a urinal.

I've found it to be easier to hide when in a public stall than a gun in IWB carry. You pull the Smartcarry down with your undies and leave the undies down to your knees and it stays above the line of sight from the bottom of the stall. Sorry if this is too graphic.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've had and used one for a few years. A sub-compact/snub nose revolver is about as large of a gun as I feel can be carried and still be comfortable to me (5'10"/190lbs).

Its definetly not a "tactical fast draw" holster by any means...but its a VERY good deep concealment holster when a waistband or pocket holster just wont do. I typically only use mine when I am dressed with having to have a shirt tucked in or when I am in an environment where I expect a lot of people to be hugging (family gatherings, ect) or my nieces and nephews are crawling all over me.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have carried a Govt 1911 in mine but the problem is that I look like I am really happy to see you while I am sitting. I usually carry either of my 380s with it. In this case, a short barreled pistol works better. Using safety pins to "re-size" the holster works great. If my grip wants to try to print, I can usually maneuver it under my belt.

With the larger sized belt and larger pistol, using the urinal is quite a balancing act and a stall with a door works much better. The smaller pistol is less of a problem.

Since you are supposed to put the belt over the clothes you tuck into your pants, shirt, undershirt, etc., I have had some problem with it showing at the back so I usually pull my shirt out a little in the back and tuck over it.

I rarely wear mine but there are times when it does come in handy.

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    a little slower to get the gun out
    but if you go with a revolver or smaller auto this is the best deep concealment holster on the market
    is comfy for me to drive or sit down just move the gun around 1 o'clock works best for me (just a little to the right)

Top Bottom