• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    These seem to be occurring with more frequency. If I were a manager in one of these businesses, I might consider some training for the employees.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    At least they are consistent. If they ask a legally open carrying civilian to leave, why shouldn't they do the same for an LEO who is there to dine?

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    And let's not forget that the "news" doesn't always report things accurately, or completely. So until all the details are known, I don't think it is smart for a knee-jerk reactions.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Don't be so quick. It appeared to be one idiot employee that did it. It is not the policy of the company or the specific restaurant.

Seems to me that something in some fashion has to be telling the people doing this that management/administration in some way would be OK with it! But I'll still wait (but on this side of their doorway) to make a final decision. But if somehow there is a possibility that a policemen on duty might not be welcome then I know for a fact that my family and I wouldn't be.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I love how one guy in the video says it would have been more respectful to ask the officer to leave his gun in his car ...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Actually, anti's seem to like restricting gun owners even when it is not in their power to do so on a pretty regular basis. All they have to do is say no and most gun owners will comply. I've read stories where employees paste up signs that the owner didn't authorize, etc. The company publicly stated that they follow local law. If your specific restaurant doesn't for some reason, then speak up. Don't let an a single anti win by default.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What if it has been someone not in a uniform? Should the reaction be any different?

Whether we like it or not, those that are in uniformed occupations requiring them to be armed, generally, aren't viewed in same negative light as your typical OC'er. Armored car guys, security guards, as well as officers normally are excepted from places that have "no gun" policies.

So yeah, the reaction, will undoubtedly be different, as some are required have a visible weapon, and the other just "wants" to have a visible weapon.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I realize that it is hard to find good help these days but I don't think that I want anyone who is THAT stupid preparing or handling my food OR my money. Apparently even if they can actually READ instructions they have no idea what they mean. It's like - even though I can see he is a police officer I just can't trust him because he has a gun. GUNS = BAD. MAN WITH GUN = BADMAN!!!!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Whether we like it or not, those that are in uniformed occupations requiring them to be armed, generally, aren't viewed in same negative light as your typical OC'er. Armored car guys, security guards, as well as officers normally are excepted from places that have "no gun" policies.

So yeah, the reaction, will undoubtedly be different, as some are required have a visible weapon, and the other just "wants" to have a visible weapon.

But neither is any better than the other.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But neither is any better than the other.

No, but the perception is there. People generally are far more willing to trust a uniformed officer with a gun, than any other type of stranger. That's how it is with most thing. If you showed the average person a picture a uniformed/helmeted USAF NCO, and then showed them a picture of a 57 year old commercial airline pilot in a polo and Khakis, who do you think most would pick if asked to decided who they'd rather pilot a plane they were onboard? Is not right, it just is.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Don't be so quick. It appeared to be one idiot employee that did it. It is not the policy of the company or the specific restaurant.

Exactly this! Let's just get rid of the idiot employees!
    Oh and you're rep is off!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What if it has been someone not in a uniform? Should the reaction be any different?

I know of two uniformed police officers who didn't carry handguns. One was fictional and in black and white except for one year I think. The other was the late Clyde Nichols (former Washington County Sheriff/Chief Deputy).

Police carry guns, this shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Someone readily identifiable as a police officer (a uniform is pretty identifiable) should make it a no-brainier for anyone. Oh wait, Olive Garden hired a no-brainier. That caused the problem.

So, to answer your question, yes. "Should" is kind of subjective, but it "should" make a difference in one's thought process. Oh wait, thinkin (critical or otherwise) wasn't this employee's strong suit.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    No, but the perception is there. People generally are far more willing to trust a uniformed officer with a gun, than any other type of stranger. That's how it is with most thing. If you showed the average person a picture a uniformed/helmeted USAF NCO, and then showed them a picture of a 57 year old commercial airline pilot in a polo and Khakis, who do you think most would pick if asked to decided who they'd rather pilot a plane they were onboard? Is not right, it just is.

I am going to get me a uniform and test out this theory

Top Bottom