• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shwaisey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    A friend and I went to the 86th and Ditch Speedway to pick up a pack of black and mild smokes and a poweraide while hanging out.
    I was open carrying a handgun in a Desantis leather holster and dressed in a nice pair of jeans and a clean t-shirt, my LTCH in wallet.

After walking in and receiving "the look" from two IMPD officers hanging out by the coffee area my gut told me to put my phone on record and in my pocket.
    The officer commanded me to come near to him as I was heading towards the counter to pay and leave (a distance of 10 feet to 5 feet inside his personal bubble) and told me (Dropping the F-Bomb more than once) that the purpose of carrying a firearm is to not let anyone know you have it. He explained that criminals were dangerous and that "If I were a criminal I would have shot you in the back of the head and taken your fu*king gun and then had two guns." I played it cool and asked his name, I told him appreciate his opinion, shook his hand and told them to stay safe tonight.

I don't think anyone believes that the point of carrying a gun is to hide it. The point of carrying a gun is for self-defense.
    Some one needs to explain to him that open carry is very legal, not a cause for a stop in Indiana, and that firearms are for self-defense- not hide and go seek. Cussing his opinion at me was unacceptable and unprofessional.
    That encounter shook my confidence in IMPD, I had the utmost respect for local law enforcement and have always had positive interactions in the past even while open carrying around Indianapolis. The clerk at the gas station even asked me "Were the cops giving you sh*t?"

I am not sure how to go about filing a police report, any info would be great.

[video=youtube;WMSswMHOBpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMSswMHOBpc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Don't let it shake your confidence in IMPD. You can see very clearly on here that officers like this don't represent them all. With that many officers there are bound to be some bad ones.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    "wow, are you worried that a criminal will shoot you in the back of the head, and take your gun? and your cruiser? no? do you have eyes back there, or is the back of your head bullet proof?"

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If you got the officers' names you can make a complaint to their direct supervisor or Internal Affairs. That Speedway is on North District, so call 327-6100 and ask to speak to a supervisor whose shift covers whatever time you were at the Speedway. Day shift is 0530-1400, middle is 1330-2200, late tac is 1900-0330, and late shift is 2130-0600. If you would rather go to Internal Affairs, the number is 327-3434.

And like jd said, the officer doesn't represent the entire department. I think I know who the officer was by the voice and the beat the Speedway is on, and without giving too much of my personal opinion about him ... take his opinion with a grain of salt.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i think you mean 86th.....79 and ditch would be someones backyard....nonetheless keep your cool and carry on

Shwaisey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    @ armedindy: Woops, you are right. Edited.
    @Frank_in_Stein: Thanks for the info, I was hoping you would see this thread.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    just went there, small female officer in a gun metal grey squad car...they must have been very scared, or they did their best to produce a five year old girl to snag that off your hip...

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    /thread.

Thank you Frank, for giving the OP the info he was looking for. Perhaps the officer in question will get the message, and the re-instruction they need.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If you got the officers' names you can make a complaint to their direct supervisor or Internal Affairs. That Speedway is on North District, so call 327-6100 and ask to speak to a supervisor whose shift covers whatever time you were at the Speedway. Day shift is 0530-1400, middle is 1330-2200, late tac is 1900-0330, and late shift is 2130-0600. If you would rather go to Internal Affairs, the number is 327-3434.

And like jd said, the officer doesn't represent the entire department. I think I know who the officer was by the voice and the beat the Speedway is on, and without giving too much of my personal opinion about him ... take his opinion with a grain of salt.

PLEASE Follow Up, otherwise this will continue, for the officers sake and the rest of the carrying public :yesway:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    OP, PLEASE file a complaint!!! We don't need douche bag cops like this in our city. I'm sure your won't be his first or last write up. Eventually he will straighten up or be gone hopefully. His opinion sucks and he's not the expert he thinks he is.
    Please file a formal complaint!!!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    His opinion. The fact he is a LEO doesn't make it worth any more or less.
    Big ****ing deal. Real people, real language.

Bob

Agreed. Too much outrage over language these days. OP, are you genuinely offended by the language, or just mentioning it because it came along side an opinion you didn't agree with?

Would you have the same outrage if the officer had commended you for taking a ****ing stand for gun rights and openly protecting yourself from these ****ing thugs?

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    OP, PLEASE file a complaint!!! We don't need douche bag cops like this in our city. I'm sure your won't be his first or last write up. Eventually he will straighten up or be gone hopefully. His opinion sucks and he's not the expert he thinks he is.
    Please file a formal complaint!!!

I recognize the voice, I don't know his name off hand though. If you contact IMPD North District they will get this resolved. I know quite a few guys in North District as well as the Command there, they will gladly pull his head out of his..... Language is what it is though. Next time I'd just ask him why criminals haven't taken his sidearm.

Top Bottom