• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In an effort to assist in maintaining situational awareness, this is a list of things that victims have reported to me as suspect's actions immediately before a random robbery on the street (and occasionally businesses).

Common things said to start interaction:
    1) Asking to borrow your phone. This is a common set up for theft, but also for a robbery.
    2) Asking for a cigarette and/or a light. Especially if you aren't smoking at the time.
    3) Asking about the bus schedule. Especially if you aren't at a bus station (likely actually sitting on the bench, not just walking by).
    4) Asking for change.

The common denominator seems to be an attempt to put you at ease as you now "know" why the person has initiated contact with you and at attempt to get you to put your hands in your pockets where its harder for you to defend yourself. The "change" thing seems to be more of a justification mechanism for the suspect. "That butthead wouldn't even give me a bit of change he could easily spare, he deserves to be robbed."

Common actions:
    1) Reaching into pocket or "adusting" something in waistband as they approach you.
    2) Lowering the head (boxer's stance, forehead pushed forward and jaw back to reduce exposure of face) this is both an instinctive reaction to an impending fight and an attempt to hide their face.
    3) Pulling up hood on hoody.
    4) Whispering or hand gestures with a second suspect.

The borrowing of a cigarette thing is so prominent, we joke around the office that if anyone approaches you and asks for a cigarette that should be written into law as PC for a citizen's arrest for you to hold the asker at gun point until police arrive to verify he does just really just want a cigarette...

Common locations:
    ATMs (seems obvious)
    Gas pumps (seems less obvious)
    Drug stores (always wonder if they are after the meds, did anyone seem very interested in what prescription you were filling?)
    Near entrances/exits to parking garages or parking lots. (Decent amount of foot traffic, but often not too many people at a time).

Feel free to share as you see fit, and I'll do my best to answer any questions or provide any additional details anyone may be interested in.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Thanks for the great information. I ran into the 'got any change' thing up in Benton Harbor, MI, two summers ago at a gas station. I think the fact that my right arm was resting 'at the ready' had something to do with nothing funny happening.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :popcorn:

I've been asked: "Let me hold a dollar" or the cigarette thing but *knocks on wood* I've never been robbed or even attempted.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Any impact of weather on the frequency of robberies / assaults, etc ? I spend a lot of time downtown (Indy) and I've caught myself thinking " No one is going to attack me in this weather. It's too cold. I don't even want to be out here"

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I always try to practice good situational awareness, but it is alway good to have reminders and more information.

I have not run into the situations you mention more than a handful of times in my life. One time that I recall though a guy ask me for change at a gas pump once. He started out with some small talk as he approached as to why he needed it. I think he said he needed gas, but as far as I could tell he had no vehicle anywhere near the station. Before he could close very close I told him I didn't have any, which was the truth I only had plastic on me at the time. I kept an eye on him, and made sure to keep things like the gas hose, pump, etc. between us without making it too obvious. He asked 2 or 3 other people the same thing, but I noticed the story he gave for why he needed it changed each time. Nothing happened, but it sure made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Thanks for the info. I always try to practice good situational awareness, but it is alway good to have reminders and more information.

I have not run into the situations you mention more than a handful of times in my life. One time that I recall though a guy ask me for change at a gas pump once. He started out with some small talk as he approached as to why he needed it. I think he said he needed gas, but as far as I could tell he had no vehicle anywhere near the station. Before he could close very close I told him I didn't have any, which was the truth I only had plastic on me at the time. I kept an eye on him, and made sure to keep things like the gas hose, pump, etc. between us without making it too obvious. He asked 2 or 3 other people the same thing, but I noticed the story he gave for why he needed it changed each time. Nothing happened, but it sure made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I've ran into this also. Heard later that a Gypsey clan (honest to God!) had come into town.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Couple of dudes on the section of Cultural Trail that crosses over I-70 in Fountain Square were intent on selling me a bottle of perfume for $5. I was uninterested, but they really wanted me to stick my face out so they could spritz some out for me to smell. Yeah, that wasn't happening. I just kept moving and nothing untoward occurred, but I was prepared for one of them to try and spray me in the eyes. Anybody encounter this, or a variation of it?

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis

This seems to be happening all too frequently at local stores. I too have had people ask me for one thing and then turn around and ask others for things that are different within an earshot. They mostly approach elderly people it seems like. It is very aggravating when this happens & if I do hear them change their story I immediately say something to the people they're trying to beg from. Always keep your guard up.

Last edited:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I get the "got any change" everyday at the gas station. My answer is always the same. I didn't vote for change but glad it's working for you.

Top Bottom