Restaurant asks you to leave mid meal. Refund?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I was daydreaming today and thought of an interesting nuance nobody mentions in the dramas that are harassed legal gun owners being kicked out of business establishments for no other reason than carrying a firearm. What about the check?

Say you are carrying, OC/sloppy CC, it doesnt matter. Suddenly about halfway through your meal, either the manager or the police walk up to the table and say essentially (and politely/professionally) "We just noticed you are carrying a firearm. The owner does not want guns in his restaurant. We would like you to leave now."

Assuming you politely ask to finish your meal without making a scene and the manager says no they want you out immediately, are you entitled to a refund, or in the case of a sit-down restaurant not liable for the bill? I'd say yes. After all you entered into a business contract; An enjoyable, delicious meal in exchange for your money. You didnt pay for half a meal. You paid to sit down and eat the full meal in peace. They didnt hold up their end of the bargain so you shouldnt have to hold up yours IMHO.

What says INGO? Anyone have experience with being removed before you were done eating your food and told you were still liable for the check? (Im not so sure it counts if you are sitting around shooting the breeze with an empty plate in front of you when you are removed.)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You still owe for what you ate.

Meh. While I see your point, I doubt the manager is going to pro-rate your bill. There is something to be said for what is referred to in rental circles as "quiet enjoyment". There is a hassle involved with being kicked out that has some value to the diner.

While I dont think you should be able to get the yet to be delivered slice of pie you ordered as part of your written-off meal, I'd say its all or nothing. Comp the entire meal (and dont deliver the dessert) or let the diner finish and he pays. Im not even sure if compromising with allowing the diner to finish the meal and deliver the check with desert in a to-go box is really making good on the deal. (Once again, the hassle)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And don't forget to leave a tip. It's not your waitress's fault.

Oh, by all means, as long as you know it isnt the waitress that snitched (she is apologizing profusely, etc) You skate and still give her what she should have earned. Now if you see her across the restaurant talking to the manager pointing at you, clearly talking in hushed tones before you see the manager pull out his cell phone to call the cops... thats a different story entirely and all bets are off. :):

While I've never experienced the original scenario, I have been in situations where the meal was comped for reasons other than the server, and she still got her tip.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If I'm asked to leave in that situation I do so immediately and without paying the bill. I would probably still hand the server a few dollars for their trouble, whether the food had arrived or not.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd just leave. Pay and leave. Then call coorporate
    and get a refund that way. Once your the "respondent". It doesn't matter if your in the right or not, your gonna get screwed if you don't cooperate. There are
    aome battles that if I ever face they are worth fighting, but this isn't one.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Or... You could take the high road instead if trying to make a point to those who don't care. I'd pay my bill in full, over tip the waiter or waitress and thank them for their service, and politely leave. Which would have a more positive impact, implying a gun carrier is so pissed off they risk dine and dash, or sucking up to their request, paying, over tipping and letting them know you'll be glad not to return? I've actually given out free coupons to open carriers in my restaurants. Those who may know where I work, PLEASE do not post it publicly!!!

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    If there was no gunbuster sign posted, I would pay for the meal if I was allowed to finish the meal. If I was not allowed to finish the meal (in the restaraunt), I would not expect to have to pay for the meal. Yes, I certainly agree with all who state that the normal tip should be left for the server if the server provided normal service.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If you allow me to stick around while you finalize the bill, and run my card then you agree I'm not a threat.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Or... You could take the high road instead if trying to make a point to those who don't care. I'd pay my bill in full, over tip the waiter or waitress and thank them for their service, and politely leave. Which would have a more positive impact, implying a gun carrier is so pissed off they risk dine and dash, or sucking up to their request, paying, over tipping and letting them know you'll be glad not to return? I've actually given out free coupons to open carriers in my restaurants. Those who may know where I work, PLEASE do not post it publicly!!!

are you the Manager at the McD's in Vincennes?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    By asking you to leave the owner/manager is ending the transaction. Their expectation is that you leave the premises, not stick around to settle up the tab. I think the only one making a negative impact is the person asking you to leave because they don't like what's hanging from your belt.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you allow me to stick around while you finalize the bill, and run my card then you agree I'm not a threat.
    If you allow me to stick around at all.... of course, I OC so it's not like anybody can say it wasn't noticeable when I first walked in. Would be a little harder for a CCer to use this argument if he was asked to leave because the shirt/jacket/whatever slipped up over the firearm to reveal it. (Look, another benefit of OC!)

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.

This seems like a good idea, and I'd like to think it's something I'd do. That or I'd grab a handful of food and take it outside and eat it on the sidewalk or in the parking lot... haha.

"I paid for this damned steak, I'm gonna eat it! *grabs steak in hands and walks out the door with it*"

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would hope most reasonable managers would let you finish and pay, and then say something to you on your way out. That way there is no scene, but you still got the message.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I would hope most reasonable managers would let you finish and pay, and then say something to you on your way out. That way there is no scene, but you still got the message.
    If one were reasonable, would he be asking a non-threatening, non-disruptive, paying patron to leave?

Top Bottom