Restaurant asks you to leave mid meal. Refund?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd just leave. Pay and leave. Then call coorporate
    and get a refund that way. Once your the "respondent". It doesn't matter if your in the right or not, your gonna get screwed if you don't cooperate. There are
    aome battles that if I ever face they are worth fighting, but this isn't one.

Agreed. Making a scene is the last thing you want to do such as "Dammit, I paid for this, AND IM NOT LEAVING UNTIL IM FINISHED. [insert inappropriate comments about his mother here]." NOM NOM NOM! That lands you on an episode of COPS.

Or... You could take the high road instead if trying to make a point to those who don't care. I'd pay my bill in full, over tip the waiter or waitress and thank them for their service, and politely leave. Which would have a more positive impact, implying a gun carrier is so pissed off they risk dine and dash, or sucking up to their request, paying, over tipping and letting them know you'll be glad not to return? I've actually given out free coupons to open carriers in my restaurants. Those who may know where I work, PLEASE do not post it publicly!!!

Personally, I think that if they terminate the agreement, you owe them nothing more than to vacate their property as they asked ASAP. Make it clear in a calm and respectful tone that you owe nothing as they failed to deliver, and politely request a refund if it was a pay before you eat place. Dont just walk out without saying a word, or ignore them if they request you pay while you collect your belongings. If they insist, pay it and take it up with corporate or contact your credit card company for a chargeback. Your social contract with the server is still intact and you owe them for thier services.

are you the Manager at the McD's in Vincennes?
    BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

If the food is on the table, box it up and bring me the bill.

I will pay for what I have received.

You also paid for a pleasant and respectful dining experience. Being told "GTFO" mid meal doesnt fit that bill in my eyes. While I appreciate your flexibility, I cant say I share that tolerance.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I think the best thing for us gun-owners to do if a manager asks us to leave a restaurant for carrying a firearm is to react exactly like this. :):

[video=youtube;Gp8Afm2XolE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8Afm2XolE[/video]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I haven't paid and they ask me to leave, I will get up and leave. I am not going to pay for a meal that I wasn't allowed to finish. If I already paid (fast food), and they ask me to leave, I would ask for a refund. If I had wanted to eat in my car, I wouldn't be sitting there eating, so don't tell me to take it with me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If the food is on the table, box it up and bring me the bill.

I will pay for what I have received.

Agreed. If service has ended though, I'm not paying for the meal. If I was kicked out of a movie where I paid at the end, and I was asked to leave because I had on the wrong T-shirt, I wouldn't pay for the movie on my way out...

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I wouldn't pay for a meal I couldn't finish... No way. That wasn't the deal when I sat down and that wasn't what I had in mind when I decided to pay a premium to go out to eat.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I would tip the wait staff, and not pay for the meal. I'm not just paying for food, I'm paying for the whole "experience" hence the premium, as said by lucky4034. The cost of the meal includes the use of the premises until I've finished it, and leave of my own accord.

I dare the restaurant to try to have me arrested for "dine and dash," under those circumstances.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    My guess is that if the manager thinks you are a significant enough threat to ask you to leave mid-meal then antagonizing you with a dine-and-dash charge is not on his/her mind. Restaurants may operate on low margins but they do have pretty wide latitude for discretion, hence the reason restaurants tend to offer discounts or refunds instead of being asked. I exclude fast food from this observation though as their focus is not customer service but customer volume.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    You paid for a meal before you ate it?

I can only imagine this happening at a fast food joint, so I'd simply say "Please put my remaining food in a carry out container" and then I'd leave.

If they refuse, then just leave and get the word out via whatever means you wish... Yelp reviews, FaceCrack, blogs, the news media, INGO, etc. The bad press/publicity will be worth the money.

Let me ask this: In your hypothetical, does the dining establishment have a sign on the door saying "No Guns"?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Somebody mentioned asking them to box the food up before paying. But think about it, would you really let them box up your food at that point? Bring me the empty box and I will put my food in it myself - sounds better. :)

Pay for the meal and tip generously. Always have class even when those around you do not. Leave a good impression on those who watch it go down, in their eyes you are "gunowners".

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    For all of you that would box up the remaining food to take with you; what if you are not going home right away? Eating left overs that have been sitting in a hot car for a few hours is not what I paid for. If I wanted take out, I would have ordered take out. I paid to be served a meal to be eaten there. The manager knows that they are breaking our implied contractual agreement by asking me to leave before I've finished. The meal should be on them. I would still try to tip the server if I could do so in a timely manner so as not to be considered trespassing. Unless, of course the were the cause of this mess.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    IMO the best way to go about this is to pay the full amount and leave a generous tip as well as a "No Firearms No Business" card.
    You are leaving a lasting impression of the LTCH community when you are in public, you want to leave the store owner, manager, server, and anyone else around you the impression of polite, courteous, LEVEL HEADED (Not emotional) person who is respectful of others around him/her while at the same time carrying for his/her safety.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm sticking with my previous answers on this topic: get up and leave.

I don't pay for services not rendered. If asked to leave, I'll politely comply. No reason to get all loud and combative. But, I am not rewarding someone for their bad behavior. If you don't want me there, say so BEFORE you enter into an agreement with me (take my order, prepare the food, and deliver the food). NOT pull some sort of power play 2/3 of the way through the agreement (I get to sit and eat. Maybe even chat with friends/family, and order desert).

This has yet to happen in hundreds of meals out while open carrying, so I've stopped worrying about it.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Top Bottom