• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Adding to the steps necessary to take the first shot is very dangerous in my opinion. Depending on the day, I carry a 1911 cocked and locked, or an MP with a round chambered.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I work with someone that carries in this manner. He's concerned with his small children wanting his attention & using him as a jungle gym, one of them may knock loose the firearm or find the trigger.

He & I have had several chats around this topic & we've agreed to disagree. No matter what equipment I suggest that would / should keep things safely tucked away, he'd rather double his time (being generous, since he practices his draw this way) & have the peace of mind that his kids won't be in danger from him.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If no round in the chamber is how you want to carry because that works for you, great.
    Just don't chamber a round near me like this, and we'll get along fine.

Goodman%2BLebowski.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No round in the chamber makes for an interesting wrestling match in a close-in fight.
    But if someone wants to carry that way, for whatever reason, it's their business. Better than not carrying.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No round in the chamber makes for an interesting wrestling match in a close-in fight.
    But if someone wants to carry that way, for whatever reason, it's their business. Better than not carrying.

As long as you are willing to be uber vigilant and practice the rack as part of the draw, go for it.

After all, its his a** on the line. Hell, if he wants to go Condition Butterscotch, bully for him.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Why is Rob bot wearing a cover garment. He has spoken out against OC, so he should practice what he preaches. Plus I don't want to see him pretend to clear it I want to see him clear it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ... (being generous, since he practices his draw this way)

Challenge your friend to do it one handed.

Seriously - you two set up a drill, whereby all involved parties are 10000000% certain that there isn't any live ammo any where near the drill.

Have the friend carry as normal.

Then have someone rush him from ~20 feet away.

Make your friend see, with his own eyes, how there isn't time to unholster (from concealment) and chamber a round, before being struck/attacked.

Have the attacker stay engaged and "beat" him, too, tying up an arm (or two) for self-defensive purposes. Have him attempt to jack a round into battery while using one hand to shield his head from blows.

As long as you are willing to be uber vigilant and practice the rack as part of the draw, go for it.

Challenge the vigilant to do it one-handed.

-J-

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN

I agree. After I got my first semi-auto in the 1980's, I used to carry without one in the chamber because I was afraid of some kind of unexpected circumstance that could result in an accidental discharge. Now that I am seasoned, I carry with one in the chamber. My home defense guns have one in the chamber as well.

The key point here is that people should not carry one in the chamber unless they are extremely comfortable doing so. If they have an concerns about their ability to carry one in the chamber, they should seek out training and get comfortable with it first.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Fine motor skill vs. gross motor skill. To many things happening during that time to remember to chamber a round aim and pull the trigger. A gross motor skill will be to pull aim and pull the trigger. Remember this is all done under evtreem duress. You need to have as few as movements as possible. I piulled my weapon last week twice. All I had to remember was "sight picture".

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I read the comments before watching the video, and fully expected to see Rob recommending carrying WITHOUT one in the pipe.

Imagine my surprise when that was not his position. :D

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Fine motor skill vs. gross motor skill. To many things happening during that time to remember to chamber a round aim and pull the trigger. A gross motor skill will be to pull aim and pull the trigger. Remember this is all done under evtreem duress. You need to have as few as movements as possible. I piulled my weapon last week twice. All I had to remember was "sight picture".

Agree with most of what you wrote. However, you pulled your weapon twice just in the last week? Obviously I don't know all of the details, but it seems like a) you pulled it before there was an imminent threat, or b) it would be wise to choose different places to hang out (if you have to go to such a place due to your job, maybe you shouldn't go alone).

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Agree with most of what you wrote. However, you pulled your weapon twice just in the last week? Obviously I don't know all of the details, but it seems like a) you pulled it before there was an imminent threat, or b) it would be wise to choose different places to hang out (if you have to go to such a place due to your job, maybe you shouldn't go alone).

Or c) he's a LEO

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    The way I see it is this; carrying chambered re-enforces the rule of "always loaded". If I DID choose to carry empty-chambered then if I may get lax on that rule. If I decided to switch it around based on if it was on person or not, it further confuses the matter with mental thoughts such as "did I re-chamber this yet?" or " did I empty the chamber yet?" All which makes something very simple, possibly deadly. Always loaded, Always understood.

Top Bottom