• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Stop touching it.

Stop looking for excuses to play with your pistol. Leave it alone in the holster. No, I don't care if you are in the bathroom, or just want to show everyone how cool you are because you have a gun, or you have to "unload eet in the parkin' lawt".

Just leave it the heck alone.

Stop touching it like a raccoon washing an apple slice.

Pistol discharges before Obama speech at Arlington National Cementary.

Oh, yes, and guns do go bang without fingers on triggers.

Oopsie at Traction Control

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    24 oz. framing hammer. They will never learn unless it hurts.

I will be carrying one Saturday at the Indy1500. I usually have to kill 10-15 Cletii (or is it Cletuses?) a show as the multiple violators do not stand up well to the second pummeling.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Ok, I touch my holstered gun every time I get in and out of a car because I need to adjust it. I don't take it out of the holster and play with it.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This really is a good reminder.
    Two types of people have NDs.

Those untrained who don't know any better, and those who are trained and become familiar with them. Your risk of a ND goes up exponentially if you carry and dry practice a lot. It doesn't help that typically we all love our guns, and think they're super cool. Thus, set yourself up for success.

I found that to get my "needed gun touching" in for a given day, I just make sure that my "touching" is 100% productive. I have my 20-30 minute dry practice session where I unload the gun, put all live ammo/ loaded mags into another room, hang the target, load colored snap caps to verify I've got nothing dry in the chamber, set my timer, and do some training. Then when the timer goes off I say to myself "dry practice is over, I am done". Then I take my target down and put the gun back to its proper place. Otherwise, I do not let myself touch the gun unless I'm "gunning up" to leave the house, cleaning it, or shooting it at the range.

I also don't trust myself to not fondle the gun around the house, so I don't leave a gun on my hip when I'm at home. I have strategic stash points that are out of sight. In public it's unacceptable to have your gun in your hand, so drawing it out of the holster isn't an option.

This has eliminated as much of the risk of me being a moron as possible, while improving my skills greatly AND getting my "needed" touching in.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Even at Meet & Greets???

gunfoldling.jpg

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Unless I really need to take a ****, I wouldn't even need to go number 2 and risk taking off my gun in a restroom. So unless I am with a gun friendly buddy in his gun friendly home and want to show him my gun (which I will clear before handing it over to him), my gun never comes out unless I need to defend myself.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    24 oz. framing hammer. They will never learn unless it hurts.

I will be carrying one Saturday at the Indy1500. I usually have to kill 10-15 Cletii (or is it Cletuses?) a show as the multiple violators do not stand up well to the second pummeling.

Cletodae.

It's Greek in origin.

Top Bottom