• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    INDIANAPOLIS -- Controversy is swirling around a popular downtown fast-food restaurant and its closing during the busiest portion of Indiana Black Expo's Summer Celebration.

Thousands of people pour into downtown Indianapolis during the weekend of Summer Celebration, 6News' Sarah Cornell reported.

Many restaurants and bars stay open afterhours to accommodate the late-night crowd, but Steak 'n Shake on Maryland Street did the opposite this year, and some are suspicious about why.

Le'Deana Brown, who had her camera rolling on Saturday night during Summer Celebration, documented that the restaurant was closed on what is one of the biggest money-making weekends downtown.

"You don't just see a 24-hour restaurant close. I just wanted to raise the question of why would they do something like that," Brown said.

The restaurant's sign indicated routine maintenance as the reason for closing, but Brown noticed that some law enforcement officers were being served.

"When we got there, we saw that they were in and people were in there eating, but we just couldn't get anything to eat," Brown said.

Tanya Bell, CEO and president of Black Expo, saw the video that Brown posted on YouTube. She said she had heard that the same Steak 'n Shake was closed for routine maintenance on the same weekend last year.

When asked if she thought the closing was race-related, Bell said, "I don't want to jump the gun, and I don't want to prematurely speak. I can say that these are the busiest nights of the year during Summer Celebration," Bell said. "I am a little taken aback that they were closed during some of the prime nights where patrons are there, ready to eat."

6News tried to contact Steak 'n Shake's communications director and CEO several times Wednesday night, but calls were not returned. The person who answered the phone Thursday at the Maryland Street restaurant said they have no comment.

Bell said she plans to schedule a meeting with restaurant officials on Thursday.

"I'm just glad people are paying attention and people are asking of themselves, 'What's wrong? Is it something that we can correct, or is it too late?'" Brown said.

Bell said she couldn't recall if there had been any reported incidents at Steak 'n Shake in years past during Summer Celebration that might have prompted the restaurant to close.

Bell said Indiana Black Expo generates $38 million for the city.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Because the money isn't worth the crime, the obnoxious behavior, and the general mess the thugs leave behind?

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    I don't think a private business has to answer why it closes it's doors?

Is there a Church's next door? Did I cross the line?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't think a private business has to answer why it closes it's doors?

Is there a Church's next door? Did I cross the line?

I would agree with you, except that there were apparently other people being served inside, and they could be seen through the windows. If they had just closed completely, it would have been a lot easier to defend their stance.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    YouTube - Steak N Shake: Renovation or Discrimination?

Here is the video from the article

and here is the video text

We approached the corner of Maryland and Illinois Saturday night to find to our dismay that the 24-hour restaurant was closed to the public. There was a sign posted on the door stating the location would be closing the nights of 7/17 and 7/18 and re-opening at 6am each day.

You can imagine my surprise as a fellow business owner to see that instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to bring in some extra revenue, Steak N Shake was closed for inventory and maintenance. It was so important for someone to paint the ceiling on a Saturday night when downtown was swarming with tourists, that I couldn't even get a Frisco melt! The officer outside turning people around as they attempted to open the door told me that it was too dangerous for the public to be inside inhaling the paint fumes, as his fellow officers sat inside being served steakburgers by a waitress.

When I called to get Steak N Shake's side of the story and asked for a manager I spoke with Efren. I asked him why his store was closed and when he told me they were closed for cleaning I asked him if they normally close for cleaning on Saturday nights and he said they didn't. Why close on such a busy night? "I just do what I'm told," said Efen and he referred me to Bill Nicol, the general manager of the Maryland Street Steak N Shake.

"It was a scheduled maintenance prepping for our dining room remodel that we had to get done as soon as possible," said Nicol, "We needed to get everything prepped for a booth package. The only thing I really know is that it was scheduled and that was what I was informed we needed to do."

Then I called corporate Steak N shake Barry Paige because Nicoltold me he could explain the situation to me a little better. I called, him at 633-4100 but his voicemail stated that he is out of the office until next Monday. I tried his "emergency" cell phone number, but was unable to reach him for comment. If you're as curious about this situation as I am, maybe you should try giving him a call too.

The point is why are we still allowing people to treat us differently than they treat the rest of America?

IMHO this is the dumbest thing to get angry over

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    They aren't upset because they couldn't get Steak N Shake. They are upset because they feel that the restaurant closed because it didn't want to serve to a primarily black customer base on Black Expo weekend. Whether this is the case or not remains to be seen. I think that a restaurant is a private business and can do anything it wants to do. If people feel it is racist then they should boycott said restaurant.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It's a private business. What part of "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason." do people not understand?

If they choose to only serve police officers those nights, that is their right.

Would this same question be raised during "Indiana White Expo", if S&S was closed?

Oh, that's right... there IS no "Indiana White Expo".... that would be racist.

Silly me.

Blessings,
    Bill

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's a private business. What part of "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason." do people not understand?

Would this same question be raised during "Indiana White Expo", if S&S was closed?

Silly me.

Blessings,
    Bill

Silly Bill, expos are not for whites. Whitey white men control everything, why there's even a white in the whitehouse............ oh, wait..........

:rolleyes:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

Silly me.

Blessings,
    Bill

What about the Boat, Sport, and Travel Show?:D

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As a private business they have the right to close when they choose.

However, closing during the Black Expo was a terrible decision from a public relations perspective. They are likely going to have to deal with this for quite awhile.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    that has got to be the DUMBEST video ever. they were obviously do some sort of maintenance and the only people I saw being served were a couple of sheriffs, I'm sorry to say this but those ladies are perpetuating the black stereotype that most black people try not to.

Top Bottom