LED bulds, and Garage door opener problems.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have searched, and cant find a solution, so I'm hoping someone here has one. I never even thought to check, but I just installed LED lights in my shop, and my garage door opener's wont work when they are on. These are the type bulbs that convert the T11 bulbs to LED, so I had to cut the ballast's out of the old fixtures, and direct wire. Since the Ballast's have been cut out, and thrown away, just going back to the original Tll bulbs would be very costly.

There has to be some way of changing the frequency on the opener, or shielding the opener. My original thought was I bought some 14GA wire, and extended the antena on my opener's to outside the building. That didn't work.

Thoughts?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have searched, and cant find a solution, so I'm hoping someone here has one. I never even thought to check, but I just installed LED lights in my shop, and my garage door opener's wont work when they are on. These are the type bulbs that convert the T11 bulbs to LED, so I had to cut the ballast's out of the old fixtures, and direct wire. Since the Ballast's have been cut out, and thrown away, just going back to the original Tll bulbs would be very costly.

There has to be some way of changing the frequency on the opener, or shielding the opener. My original thought was I bought some 14GA wire, and extended the antena on my opener's to outside the building. That didn't work.

Thoughts?

Just kinda of a random thought but when you did the job is it possible that the opener lost it's codes while you had the power off. If this is the case then maybe all you have to do is relearn the remote.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just kinda of a random thought but when you did the job is it possible that the opener lost it's codes while you had the power off. If this is the case then maybe all you have to do is relearn the remote.

No sir. When I thought we had the problem figured out, I stood in the driveway, and had my wife turn on and off the lights as I hit the button. It worked perfect when the light switch's were off, and wouldn't work at all when they were on.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have boxes of new led fixtures ready to install in the garage. I didn't know that would be something to worry about.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Can you shield the base of the LED bulbs? I believe it is the controller that is emitting the interference. If you can limit that, it might work. You might start with the ones closest to the opener receiver.

Or, while likely more expensive, I believe they make LED bulbs that have better built-in shielding.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Do you still have power to the opener when the lights are on? Does the opener work with lights on and the wired button?

I have installed a few of those bulbs, but only in commercial places that had no remote openers. Seems odd that the LEDs would have a frequency that would jam a remote.

I am intrigued and hope you share your findings.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Can you shield the base of the LED bulbs? I believe it is the controller that is emitting the interference. If you can limit that, it might work. You might start with the ones closest to the opener receiver.

Or, while likely more expensive, I believe they make LED bulbs that have better built-in shielding.

How would I shield the lights? I know how to wire, but this is a bit above my pay grade.

They do make shielded bulbs, but best I can tell, they only make them for screw in lights, not tube style lights.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We used screw in replacement LED's for the two bulbs on our GDO without problem, perhaps small enough and low enough power to not interfere with the transceiver. Definitely making me rethink moving to LED's in our shop lights out there though.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Do you still have power to the opener when the lights are on? Does the opener work with lights on and the wired button?

I have installed a few of those bulbs, but only in commercial places that had no remote openers. Seems odd that the LEDs would have a frequency that would jam a remote.

I am intrigued and hope you share your findings.

Yes I do. When the lights are on, direct wire button works fine. Once I had the problem, I googled it, and info on what is causing the problem is everywhere. The fix appears to be "don't use the lights" which doesn't work for me because of cutting out the ballast's. On one hand I feel like a moron for not making sure a product would work before installing, but on the other hand why the hell would I even consider this problem.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    We used screw in replacement LED's for the two bulbs on our GDO without problem, perhaps small enough and low enough power to not interfere with the transceiver. Definitely making me rethink moving to LED's in our shop lights out there though.

At least its helping someone. Had I know this, I would be a possibility I would have definitely stuck with the original lights, and changed bulbs/ballast's when needed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    How would I shield the lights? I know how to wire, but this is a bit above my pay grade.

They do make shielded bulbs, but best I can tell, they only make them for screw in lights, not tube style lights.
    Yeah, I was afraid you'd ask me what I'd do. :D

So, honestly, I'd fold up some aluminum foil and wrap it around the end with the LED controller, or both ends. I'm not really familiar with the tube style lights, but I suspect the controller is at the ends, not in the middle. It'll look totally bubba'd, but maybe start by trying to wrap the ends of the fixtures with a couple layers of aluminum foil. See if it makes a difference.

If it helps, then play with it until you figure out how to make it discrete. If it doesn't help, well, all you've wasted is some time and pennies' worth of aluminum foil. :)

ETA:
    https://emfacademy.com/aluminum-foil-emf-radiation/

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Did you use insulated/ shielded wire to run to your external antenna? You might try isolating your antenna as much as possible, and maybe using ferrite beads to further isolate it, although exactly how to do that is beyond my knowledge base. You might also try shielding the receiver housing.

Depending on how many bulbs you are talking about, I would probably try using insulated wire inside a metal conduit inside plastic conduit to the exterior and put up some grounded sheet metal around the unit housing.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It shouldn't be all the fixtures that's causing the problem, it should be the ones closest to the garage door opener. Try disconnecting the closest ones and see if your garage door opener works. If it does, you have a few more options. Put the close lights on a separate switch or change them back. My garage door opener doesn't like the LED bulb that's installed in it. I just lay on the button until it opens, but it takes a while.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It shouldn't be all the fixtures that's causing the problem, it should be the ones closest to the garage door opener. Try disconnecting the closest ones and see if your garage door opener works. If it does, you have a few more options. Put the close lights on a separate switch or change them back. My garage door opener doesn't like the LED bulb that's installed in it. I just lay on the button until it opens, but it takes a while.

I have tested that. It appears that about 25 feet is the range. If the light that is on is 25' or over away from the opener then its not a problem.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Did you use insulated/ shielded wire to run to your external antenna? You might try isolating your antenna as much as possible, and maybe using ferrite beads to further isolate it, although exactly how to do that is beyond my knowledge base. You might also try shielding the receiver housing.

Depending on how many bulbs you are talking about, I would probably try using insulated wire inside a metal conduit inside plastic conduit to the exterior and put up some grounded sheet metal around the unit housing.

I just used insulated #14 wire. So your saying insulate the hell out of the antenna?

Top Bottom