• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I don't know if this belongs here, I saw a good deal on an optic during the labor day sale and went ahead and order it Sunday night, Monday morning I received an email saying sorry but what you order was out of stock and we can sell you the same item but you have to pay more. So I called to talk to a CS rep and she tell me the same thing and offered to sell me different optis at the same price that other places have but what I was trying to explain to her was that they messed up by over selling and because of that I was having to spend more money, the rep said there nothing I can do for you other than give the sake price that other places have but somebody will call you back. Next day came and did not received a phone call so I called back and talk to a supervisor. Christopher told me the same thing sorry about your luck and that we over sold and by they way the website says that some items we may not have but we will still take your order, I don't have a lot of money and that is the reason I purchase the item with them (good price) but since they can't keep track of their inventory my $600.00 were in limbo. I wasn't able to buy what I needed because they held my money because of their lack of inventory control and on top of that they told you have to spend more money because of our mistake, they offer no other way to help me and from my background on CS that is not how a business treats a customer. So BUYERS BE AWARE about Optics planet treats their customers as I

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I don't know if this belongs here, I saw a good deal on an optic during the labor day sale and went ahead and order it Sunday night, Monday morning I received an email saying sorry but what you order was out of stock and we can sell you the same item but you have to pay more. So I called to talk to a CS rep and she tell me the same thing and offered to sell me different optis at the same price that other places have but what I was trying to explain to her was that they messed up by over selling and because of that I was having to spend more money, the rep said there nothing I can do for you other than give the sake price that other places have but somebody will call you back. Next day came and did not received a phone call so I called back and talk to a supervisor. Christopher told me the same thing sorry about your luck and that we over sold and by they way the website says that some items we may not have but we will still take your order, I don't have a lot of money and that is the reason I purchase the item with them (good price) but since they can't keep track of their inventory my $600.00 were in limbo. I wasn't able to buy what I needed because they held my money because of their lack of inventory control and on top of that they told you have to spend more money because of our mistake, they offer no other way to help me and from my background on CS that is not how a business treats a customer. So BUYERS BE AWARE about Optics planet treats their customers as I

This is something that both Optics Planet and Botach do. It's not a mistake. They do this during sales and other times. They are famous for it. If you do a search you will find a long history of this pattern going back many years. They will cancel back ordered items that have already been paid for and try to sell it to you again for a higher price. Both places are almost as bad as CTD and have earned a place of honor in my "don't deal with" book.

I'm sure several others here will post things similar to what you experienced.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    As a guy who uses the same wholesalers as they do... Limited items often get zipped down to zero during sales times and panic buying. If you download new stock levels every hour that may not be frequent enough. The wholesalers do not provide real-time inventory to vendors so this is going to happen from time to time. We usually ask the customer if they want us to kee watching inventory for it to return or just cancel the order or substitute.

telling you the exact same item can be had for more $$$ is a raw deal. That just means their special buy ran out and they don't want to take a slimmer margin (or potentially lose $$).

not telling you it's back ordered is crapy too, botach

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That's pretty common practice from OP. I had one customer who ordered from them when the item was "in stock" The OP price was so godly low I knew it couldn't be real. I got him within 5%, but could not exactly match the price (at 5% I was breaking even, and I buy cheaper than OP). OP told him they expected shipment in 2 weeks, and I told him OP was lieing, there was not a shipment scheduled to Vortex in 2 weeks. He decided to hold out.

Another customer waited 3 months for a CC refund.

I talked to him every 2-3 weeks for the next 9 months before he finally said "screw it, I will order from A&A". Bad business in my opinion, but folks keep going back, so it must be working. You dangle the carrot, and folks will bite. Im sorry you had to learn this the hard way, but I advise you to remember it. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like bait and switch to me. Find out where they're incorporated and file a complaint with that state's Atty General's office. Also, file a complaint with the BBB.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    That's pretty common practice from OP. I had one customer who ordered from them when the item was "in stock" The OP price was so godly low I knew it couldn't be real. I got him within 5%, but could not exactly match the price (at 5% I was breaking even, and I buy cheaper than OP). OP told him they expected shipment in 2 weeks, and I told him OP was lieing, there was not a shipment scheduled to Vortex in 2 weeks. He decided to hold out.

I talked to him every 2-3 weeks for the next 9 months before he finally said "screw it, I will order from A&A". Bad business in my opinion, but folks keep going back, so it must be working. You dangle the carrot, and folks will bite. Im sorry you had to learn this the hard way, but I advise you to remember it. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

We're fortunate to have you around.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sounds like bait and switch to me. Find out where they're incorporated and file a complaint with that state's Atty General's office. Also, file a complaint with the BBB.

Cabelas, CTD, bass pro does the same thing every "black Friday" (or similar holiday) Everyone complains, then goes right back when they can save a dollar. The memory of the gun community is scary sometimes.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Here's a link to a review for a scope I bought back in April 2013. It was from OP through Amazon. They pull the same crap there as they do on their own webpage.
    https://smile.amazon.com/review/R5928ATPK1ZOX/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Also a screenshot where they burned me on Amazon before I ordered that scope. I forgot about that one.

View attachment 49925

Customer service matters. (I feel like I've said that before somewhere...) OP, Botach, CTD, etc. just don't care. They are like McDonalds and Wal-mart. For every person they **** off, 10 will take their place the next day.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Also found this at the BBB.

View attachment 49926 View attachment 49927 View attachment 49928

The BBB gives them an A+ rating but also states that the customer reviews are NOT taken into account when the rating is determined. The first picture is a BBB review that says Optics Planet states they are a BBB Accredited business and display their logo on their site. The second picture is that logo. The third picture is the BBB page that flat outs states they are NOT an Accredited business.

Link to the reviews.
    Customer Reviews for OpticsPlanet, Inc. - BBB serving Chicago & Northern Illinois

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Also found this at the BBB.

View attachment 49926 View attachment 49927 View attachment 49928

The BBB gives them an A+ rating but also states that the customer reviews are NOT taken into account when the rating is determined. The first picture is a BBB review that says Optics Planet states they are a BBB Accredited business and display their logo on their site. The second picture is that logo. The third picture is the BBB page that flat outs states they are NOT an Accredited business.

Link to the reviews.
    Customer Reviews for OpticsPlanet, Inc. - BBB serving Chicago & Northern Illinois

Had many phone calls/emials saying "for x dollars you can increase your BBB rating".

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

I'm not waiting 3 months, after 72 hours (any pending charge) should disappear but if not call the bank and summit a charge dispute, I know this because I deal with this at work and had this happen before. My bank has been good on helping in the past.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I ordered an RMR 06 from optics planet, was worried about the hoopla from the OP. My experience is MUCH different. I received the RMR in 3 business days.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I must have lucked out the only time that I've ever bought from OP, a Leupold rimfire scope.
    The price was the best out there at the time ($180), and it came well within the expected delivery time.
    I'm just glad that I'm extremely unlikely to ever need another scope again, so I'll never have to take into consideration the problems others have had with them.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I ordered a scope from OP on July 26th. It was not in stock and was advertised that the estimated ship time would be 14-23 days from the order. I've got no updates from them an its been 43 days since the order was placed. I called them Tuesday and they say they are suppose to receive it on the 15th and will get it shipped out to me ASAP. Not thrilled with their communication and getting someone to pick up the phone from the automated system was no easy task. The did however send me an email when I placed the order and said my CC would not be charged till they had the scope to ship to me, so I'm not out anything at this point. I did see this week that the price of the scope has gone up about $40 since I ordered, hope they don't try to charge me the new price vs what it was when I placed the order.

PS. I reached out to AA Optics prior to my purchase and they just did not carry or handle the type of scope I was after. I always try to support INGO advertisers first.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They have had something I wanted to order a couple of different times but I didn't because I have read too many complaints about them over the years.

Top Bottom