• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For a winter coat, which do you like? Carhartt VS North Face.

Carhartt coats are bulky, but warm. But I see a lot of people in the "thinner" north face coats. Makes me wonder how warm they are.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't see many adults wearing North Face around here, but I assume it's pretty warm since it's designed for snow sports.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    as for warmth I think they would be comparable.... If you are going to and from your car and running errands then the northface will be lighter and more convenient.... And if you live in an urban area will blend into the crowd better.

If you do much actual work while wearing it, then the car hart wins hands down every day. its just flat out more durable.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    as for warmth I think they would be comparable.... If you are going to and from your car and running errands then the northface will be lighter and more convenient.... And if you live in an urban area will blend into the crowd better.

If you do much actual work while wearing it, then the car hart wins hands down every day. its just flat out more durable.

This kinda sums it up. Carhartt is like armor when walking through the woods. Things just don't snag it. Because of the rugged outer shell you want to make sure it fits. I've gained weight this summer and my Carhartt jacket is like wearing a weight lifters belt now. It is juuuust a little too small and feels like a cast if I'm doing anything that involves much of a range of motion.

Another intangible benefit is that people don't notice a little dirt or stain on a Carhartt because people expect it to be worked in. Personally, my inability to care about how I am perceived is almost to a fault so that doesn't affect me. :-)

varkman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    Jeffersonville
    Carhartt is great work wear, North face seems like yuppie (does anyone still use that term?) clothing....I mean come on! Is North face so desperate for advertising that they have to put their name on the back? If you wear Carhartt...everyone knows what you're wearing...besides it just seems stupid to put the name on the back shoulder............... JMHO

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My opinion, in the last 10-15 years or so North Face quality has steadily declined while their prices have risen at an even greater rate. I would much rather go Columbia than North Face if the bulk of Carhart was not needed. I have one North Face shell which I wear a lot in the winter for commuting, etc. but my Carhart rides with me in the car in case I have to be exposed for any length of time.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have a Columbia lined winter coat that I use for running errands and going out w/ friends sort of thing.... I have a flannel lined over coat that I use when its chilly and I am working around the homestead. When it gets super cold and I am doing outside work I use an old set of fire gear which would be similar to the carhart....

more tools in the toolbox and all that jazz.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Not a North Face fan here, I own a few Colombia combo jackets that you can wear just the polar tec liner or the jacket as a windbreaker or togeather for colder weather. Great for being outside and active, not so great being idle or sitting.
    Depending on the level Carharts you buy, ( summer, spring fall, winter artic ) will depend on how warm you will be. I have a set of coveralls and the 3/4 jacket along with bib pants. All of what I have are the Artic winters with the black lineing. The pants and bibs have heavy leg Zippers that go up past your thighs. Any canvas Carharts the wind will not cut through there clothing. Keep washing them to a minimum and you will get years if not decades of life from them..
    Look on a open building being built right now and almost everyone will be wearing Carharts.
    North face you just don't see it being worn in the construction, maintenance industry.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ^^^ good point..... pay attention over a two week period of what the majority of people in your individual surroundings are wearing and you will have your answer.... For me, I doubt my Columbia gets used more than 5 times a year..... And most of that is going to and from church or holiday parties.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I have had a Carhartt for years, since I was in high school (graduated '05, so not that long ago). I learned in college the pockets of a Carhartt can easily hide a 5th of your liquor of choice from the RA's watching the front desk at the dorms.

Since then, I started working in construction where I also put the Carhartt bibs to use. Had the bibs and the jacket on this morning when I was out on a job site. It is work wear and holds up well in a working environment. I also don't care really what I look like so I wear it as my normal winter coat when going out as well.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I will add the you will see some Wall's canvas clothing on jobs occasionally, it in no way competes with the Quality of Carhart, the weight of the Canvas to the thickness of the insulation along with Zippers that are 50% smaller.
    Most guys that buy lower grades of winter work, play clothes are generally not the guys, girls working skilled trades. :)

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I wear Carhartt gear in the winter. My GF mostly wears North Face. Carhartt holds up better in my opinion. I still have the same work coat I did in high school 10 years ago.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    When I see North Face, I think of guys with too much hair gel and teenage girls.

If I need thinner garments than Carhartts I've had good experience with Columbia. Works well but isn't currently an overpriced status symbol.

I've seen plenty of Carhartt jackets older than I am. There's a lot to be said for good, heavy canvas.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Northface, all the way. Warm, light, soft, and has a better "dressed up" look, when out and about. Easy to clean. Has just a "cleaner" look.

Top Bottom