• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, I bought a Kobalt cordless electric rechargable lawnmower from Lowe's. It's a PITA. Won't hold a charge long enough to do the back yard, let alone the front. I have to recharge the batteries once or twice to finish, so I have to wait a few hours or overnight before I can do both front and back.

Called Lowe's, and since it's past the 30-day return window, they will let me exchange it for another model.

I definitely want self-propelled. Any comments or advice, pro or con, on any of these mowers? Briggs&Stratton vs. Honda, Troy-Bilt vs. Husqvarna?

Edited to add: I'm no longer limited to Lowe's, so I'm open to suggestions from other places.

Last edited:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have a husqvarna with kohler engine that is 3 years old, still running like new. Had to replace the carb, but that was my fault. I have a Troy snowblower with a Troy branded engine that's running great as well. I had a craftsman snowblowrr with Briggs and straton that died after a few hours.

I would go husqvarna personally followed by Troy.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Husqvarna has a really good reputation for just about everything they build. I wouldn't be afraid of owning one.Hard to go wrong with a Honda, either.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    How big is your yard? I assume you bought the Kobalt with the expectation of mowing the whole thing on one charge? I know one guy who has < 1/3 ac and does his on one charge. Anything more than that is unrealistic.

I have a Husqvarna FWD with Honda engine and have had no problems (except for trying to mulch tall wet grass, doesn't work very well :rolleyes:. They have an AWD in the same price range ($320ish) that is severely underpowered so be careful.

This is the mower I have : Shop Husqvarna 160cc 22-in Self-Propelled Front Wheel Drive 3 in 1 Gas Push Lawn Mower with Honda Engine and Mulching Capability at Lowes.com

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yard is not big--I would say less than 1/4 acre. Cul-de-sac lot, so back is bigger than the front. I noticed that they do not even carry the mower that I bought two months ago. I wonder if it has been discontinued? This is the one I got, which is no longer listed on the site for sale. And they definitely lie about the 1-hour charging time. Kobalt 40-Volt Max* 20-in Mower - Kobalt Tools

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's been a long time since I've shopped for a push mower. But I've got a pressure washer with a Briggs engine and it's fine. Honda definitely has the rep. I've got a Husqvarna string trimmer and it's great--I don't know if that translates over to their mowers though. FWIW.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, rules have changed. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I called the manager back and asked him if I could get a refund since I don't really see a mower that I'm satisfied with. He said OK.

So... the field is wide open now. Any other recommendations, now that I'm not limited to Lowe's? Self-propelled, price range is under or around $400.

And thanks, everyone, BTW. Ingo rocks. :yesway:

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Toro with the personal pace. I am just SLIGHTLY biased, but it really is a fantastic machine!! Buy anything you are looking for from a dealer as well, support and parts are everything. Lowes doesnt do any of that. Even if people are not buying my product, I would rather them buy something else off a dealer.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The last two or three mowers I had were self-propelled. I didn't realize how much it helped until I didn't have it. One thing that helps me with turning is that at least in the back yard, I do 90 degree turns rather than 180's. I just start around the perimeter and work my way in. I do nice pretty diagonal stripes in the front where it shows.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    The last two or three mowers I had were self-propelled. I didn't realize how much it helped until I didn't have it. One thing that helps me with turning is that at least in the back yard, I do 90 degree turns rather than 180's. I just start around the perimeter and work my way in. I do nice pretty diagonal stripes in the front where it shows.

Come down to the south side of indy and Id give ya a discount on exactly what you need :D

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Come down to the south side of indy and Id give ya a discount on exactly what you need
    biggrin.png

It's tempting... Let me see what I can find tomorrow. Thanks :yesway:

Top Bottom