• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Vacation time rolled around again. I bought tickets on Delta for coach. Then my wife sprained her ankle badly 48 hours before departure and has a walking boot on. I declined the business class upgrade initially when I did online checkin but changed my mind when we got to the airport at our layover. They confirmed seats were still available but they would not sell me an upgrade because my level of ticket was not upgradable. :dunno: I had cash in hand and they wouldn't sell me their item.

Our preassigned seats were not together (bought them 4 months ago) and we had no option other than pay for a seat upgrade to sit together.

Add $90 luggage fees, tacking 90 minute later arrival time on return flight after booking and I think I'm done with Delta if possible.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    This is what you get for booking as common folk have to. If I could afford to, any time I fly I'd be looking at first class or stowed with the freight and luggage. Might not be quite as bad on domestic flights but international flights are full of disgusting people with almost no manners. It was quite a system shock when I was one of the more polite people on a 23 hour flight. I've never been one of the more polite people even in a room of liars, thieves, and convicts...and yes, I've spent time in rooms with politicians.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Long ago when airlines took care of its cutomers and flying was fun I worked for a major airline. Sorry to hear about the way you were treated. Cold and greedy, thats the way airlines are now.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I work for an airline, you should see how some of them treat their employees.... That is one if the things I wish Reagan had done differently. The industry has been in a downward spiral ever since deregulation.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I work for an airline, you should see how some of them treat their employees.... That is one if the things I wish Reagan had done differently. The industry has been in a downward spiral ever since deregulation.

The Deregulation Act was signed by Carter. Unless I'm not understanding you correctly.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Southwest.
    No assigned seating.
    We flew Delta back from Vegas this past summer... I got first class, people I were with got the very last row on either side.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I thought it was Reagan that deregulated the airline industry. If Carter did, that would surprise me since he was for any and all gov regulation and control possible. The theory behind deregulation was sound, let competition decide the market. But that didnt take into account greedy unions that would rather shut a company down than keep jobs, people in charge outsourcing maintenance, ect... Fuel prices force higher fares, but there is always someone coming along with a buttload of money that kills fares on routes and makes everyone lose money.

The low fare douchebags eventually run out of money and shut down, but not until they kill profits for two or three other carriers. At least when it was regulated, there were certain routes that had to be flown and prices were set so the carriers wouldnt lose money. And a lot of higher class service on the multiple airlines, people could get decent seats even if they were a little more costly. The seat pitch wouldnt make a midget cry back in the good old days, now they are just busses with wings.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Their employees that have stayed for a long-term career get no better treatment by management than the passengers. Believe me, I know...

Unfortunately, you'll probably get worse treatment when you choose another airline counter/flight. :rolleyes:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I bought a $39 upgrade per seat for the second leg. "ecOnomy comfort". When you click on the description for this flight it said free cocktails. It did not say that for our first leg when I upgraded that one. On the plane, I Found out that free cocktails were NOT included on our flight. Several people around us believed they had purchased a seat with free cocktails as well.

-2 Delta. +1000 for the trip so far so it's all relative :)

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Reagan broke PATCO, I don't think that had much of an impact on the quality of airline service. It just delcared war on unions.

Not to get too far off topic but it was the PATCO controllers who broke the Union. They violated the no strike clause in their emplyment contracts. On top of that was a demand for $10,000 a year raise, a 40hr to a 32hr work week and full retirement in 20 years. Killed the golden goose IMO.

As for Jimmy Carter he pushed for deregulation from the White House.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I bought a $39 upgrade per seat for the second leg. "ecOnomy comfort". When you click on the description for this flight it said free cocktails. It did not say that for our first leg when I upgraded that one. On the plane, I Found out that free cocktails were NOT included on our flight. Several people around us believed they had purchased a seat with free cocktails as well.

-2 Delta. +1000 for the trip so far so it's all relative :)

I'm willing to stand with you on the -2 Delta with the no free cocktails. They could make me hold a crate of chickens when I booked first class and I'd be fine but if it says free cocktails and I don't get them, heads will roll.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Some scientists just did a plane crash study in which they actually crashed an airliner into the desert. The findings revealed that the people sitting at the front of the plane were all killed, and the ones who survived were sitting toward the back. You can keep first class, back of the bus for me.

-1 Delta, -1 Burger King.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    I flew home from Orlando to Atlanta to Indy 2 weeks ago. Unused delta also, they asked me when we checked our bags if we wanted to upgrade our tickets. I'm not sure why they didn't let you. Luckily our seats were together. ( my wife and I ) $50 to check 2 bags, it was my first flight to heck bags to. Over all I was pretty happy with them. Flights left on time and we didn't lose our bags. I'm not sure why they ****ed you over so bad. I'd call the airline company and complain. I'm sure they can do something for you.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Keep complaining. Soon you will get to enjoy airline travel as it is in Asia. Try flying on India Airlines. Look at the history of Kingfisher and JetAir in India. Or Nepal Airlines. Look at how you are forced to sit, and what you are served.

A colleague in Jamaica used to complain about how bad American Airlines was on the flights to Kingston and Montego Bay, Jamaica. He was incensed that he was given a box lunch on the one-hour flight to Miami. He much preferred the Jamaican national airline where he received a full meal with real cutlery (not plastic) while flying on a cheap economy class ticket. What he refused to acknowledge, even after I explained it to him, was that the great service on the Jamaican national airline was only possible due to the government subsidy of the airline. He finally believed me when the Jamaican airline went into bankruptcy though.

You can get far better service on Thai Air, Singapore Air, Cathay Pacific—but you pay far more for the seat.

Delta has a lot to offer.

Written from Kolkata. My trip here took 27 hours. Since arriving I have traveled to Siliguri, and Ranchi—by plane. I am now back in Kolkata, but I head south to Hyderabad on Monday, then on to the Kerala region. After that I go to Bangladesh and Indonesia. Believe me, I would love to fly Delta over some I will be on. It is all a matter of perspective. You do not know how nice you have it on an American airline—until you fly Kingfisher or JetAir, or Merpati or Lion in Indonesia, or local airlines in Myanmar or Vietnam.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We flew Air Jamaica and it was awful. Worst leg room I've ever had and I don't recall a meal with cutlery despite non-stop chicago to montego bay.

I don't need food or drink on a flight. I paid for more legroom and to sit next to my wife, including 3 checked bags that came to $186 extra one way.

Picking flights based on lowest fare is out the window now. They need to add luggage fees to the search engine.

I realize our airplanes are way better than other areas, but it follows the standard of living we have here.

Top Bottom