229567_10100544224297214_2016386897_n.jpg

1879_10100544224347114_143292570_n.jpg

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Pretty happy with it. Sadly the pictures, although they look good, don't do them justice. They look brand spanking new lol. The small dents you see in the one were actually there on the factory ammo before being fired and should come out in the sizing die ;-).

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    But, it's all wet! Now you can't reload it for a while. If it had just come out of a dry media tumbler, you could have posted pictures of loaded ammo, in slightly less sparkly cases. :D

There is clean, and then there is shiny. Your cases are SHINY! They should be very easy to spot at the range. My cases are just clean, but they are also loaded up n' ready to go. I figure they're just going to get dirty again when I shoot 'em, so why get too worked up over cleaning 'em? :dunno:

BEANC0UNTER

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    I would argue that they are clean and shiny. This makes the primer pockets spotless and easier to set primers. There are ways to make it dry faster but if you plan ahead it is not an issue.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    But, it's all wet! Now you can't reload it for a while. If it had just come out of a dry media tumbler, you could have posted pictures of loaded ammo, in slightly less sparkly cases. :D

There is clean, and then there is shiny. Your cases are SHINY! They should be very easy to spot at the range. My cases are just clean, but they are also loaded up n' ready to go. I figure they're just going to get dirty again when I shoot 'em, so why get too worked up over cleaning 'em? :dunno:
    Was in no hurry. If I were, a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees would dry them quickly. I don't wash them as I need them - I have stock of about 2,000 cleaned brass at any given time.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I would argue that they are clean and shiny. This makes the primer pockets spotless and easier to set primers. There are ways to make it dry faster but if you plan ahead it is not an issue.

With all due respect, "easier to set primers" is a highly subjective benefit of wet-cleaning with stainless media.

For one, primers seat perfectly in cases that have had nothing whatsoever done to them but the old primer pushed out. What's more is that you want a primer to fit snugly in the pocket, not go in "easy".

The simple truth of the matter, as evidenced by millions of rounds reloaded every year with absolutely no cleaning of the primer pocket, is that shiny primer pockets have nothing whatsoever to do with ease of seating, accuracy, or reliability. They are purely, 100% cosmetic. If you still like seeing a shiny primer pocket and feel that it makes primers easier to seat, have at it. :)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    With all due respect, "easier to set primers" is a highly subjective benefit of wet-cleaning with stainless media.

For one, primers seat perfectly in cases that have had nothing whatsoever done to them but the old primer pushed out. What's more is that you want a primer to fit snugly in the pocket, not go in "easy".

The simple truth of the matter, as evidenced by millions of rounds reloaded every year with absolutely no cleaning of the primer pocket, is that shiny primer pockets have nothing whatsoever to do with ease of seating, accuracy, or reliability. They are purely, 100% cosmetic. If you still like seeing a shiny primer pocket and feel that it makes primers easier to seat, have at it. :)
    I just prefer to use the wet tumbler over a dry vibratory cleaner for the simple fact that the dry vibratory cleaner will put a lot of dust into the air where as the wet tumbler captures all of it in the water.

I have a 7 month old son, so the less dust I put into the air and on my clothes, the better. I obviously clean the cases outside the house (garage) but the sheer fact that leaving a vibratory tumbler running will throw nasty stuff into the air is a big no-no for me.

For some, it's a non-issue but for me it's a major consideration.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have been using a Thumblers Tumbler for over 20 years now. My son does most of the reloading now. We have never ran wet media. I used Crushed Walnut shells with a squirt of Flitz polish added - always done a great job. He also has a vibratory bowl, and I had an old Branson Ultrasonic cleaner I bought from work. He is playing with it now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just prefer to use the wet tumbler over a dry vibratory cleaner for the simple fact that the dry vibratory cleaner will put a lot of dust into the air where as the wet tumbler captures all of it in the water.

I have a 7 month old son, so the less dust I put into the air and on my clothes, the better. I obviously clean the cases outside the house (garage) but the sheer fact that leaving a vibratory tumbler running will throw nasty stuff into the air is a big no-no for me.

For some, it's a non-issue but for me it's a major consideration.

How much is a lot? Should I do it outside? I have a Lyman Turbo tumbler and haven't used it yet. My reloading area is in my garage and I keep it very clean. I am not too interested in coating everything on my bench with a layer of dust.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    FWIW
    Had a lead test last year and it came in at 16.
    That's not terribly high, but high enough I wanted to see if I could do anything about it.
    Switched from a tumbler to an ultrasonic to avoid the dust, (lead styphnate from primers). I didn't do anything else different. I loaded, cast, and shot as much or more than I had the past year.
    This years test came in at 9.
    Now to be clear, everyone's body deal with lead differently, so I'm not saying everyone should run out and switch to wet media, this is just what happened to me.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    How much is a lot? Should I do it outside? I have a Lyman Turbo tumbler and haven't used it yet. My reloading area is in my garage and I keep it very clean. I am not too interested in coating everything on my bench with a layer of dust.
    Let's just say 'a lot' is more than 0 and I prefer it to be as close to 0 as possible.

I don't have any scientific answers or anything to provide.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

As long as your space isn't 3'x3', you're not even going to notice it. A 1-2 car garage is big enough that you are not going to see a "coating of dust everywhere". Sometimes this whole dust thing is just exaggerated poorly.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Check ebay and Amazon....was looking last night and found a few. As far as the dust goes I use walnut media/ bedding from the local pet store. There is a ton of dust along with it and I have a 3 car garage with 12 foot ceilings that has a dusting on it when I tumble! I would like to know the secret to no dust dry tumbling. Does not work at my house?!! I really like the idea of not having to breath all that stuff. Now just need to decide cost vs health benefit. No brainer to me. I worked in a steel mill for 15 years breathing bad air...don't need that anymore.

Top Bottom