• lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Introduction
    I’ve seen many threads started by people wanting to get into reloading and asking the question “What do I need to get to start reloading?”

I quickly found that there is no simple answer to that question. So, as a possible help to the new-to-reloading folks, I offer my experience getting into reloading. It has only been about a year and a half since I started, so the experience is still fairly fresh.

I must note however, that everyone’s foray into this hobby is going to be unique due to your budget, reloading area of interest, people who helped you get started, etc. I’m just hoping that my lists and observations may help you get started more smoothly.

The lists in particular may help new reloaders by allowing them to read down through and mark off the items that you don’t need or want. The lists can also help you remember some ancillary tools and supplies you might not have thought about.

Investigation Phase
    People get into reloading for different reasons. Those reasons drive what type of equipment they get and how they go about enjoying their new hobby.

As is wise in any new endeavor, it’s good to ask “What do I want to accomplish with this?” Mission drives equipment. It’s true. You can go out and buy what Uncle Jake has on his bench only to find out that you don’t want to shoot the way Uncle Jake shoots.

When I asked myself the question, I knew I wanted to start by reloading 9mm pistol and .223 rifle ammunition. I would later branch out making small runs of .45 and .38 rounds.

If possible, visit with a few people who are reloaders. Look at their equipment set-up. Ask them why they reload. Ask them why they like their type press. What equipment did they start with? What equipment didn’t work or they wish they had never bought? What gizmo do they wish they had bought years ago?

I met with two INGO members who allowed me into their reloading rooms. Both were high-volume handgun loaders who made ammo so they could shoot on the weekends. Both were very helpful and gave freely of their time and counsel.

In my case, reloading interested me for the possibility of making rounds that were better than factory rounds. I liked the thought of developing loads for a specific rifle or pistol. I’ve always been a numbers person, so the record keeping didn’t bother me. I wasn’t as tied in to the idea that reloading would save me buckets of money (that’s what most reloaders tell their wives…) but I was hoping that I could make better-than-factory ammunition for no additional cost.

My first foray into reloading was attending an introductory class at the home of IndyGunWorks. He covered the basic steps of reloading as well as the safety guidelines. It was great to see the equipment and components that make up this hobby.

In September 2010 I attended an Intro to Reloading class offered by Profire Arms and hosted by its owner, Aszerigan. Great experience! I got the see the four basic reloading steps done with my own hands! This one evening class took away much of the mystery that always seemed to surround reloading. I realized that I could reload without blowing something up or putting out my eye!

I got a copy of ‘The ABCs of Reloading’ and read most of the first half of the book along with more diligent reading in the INGO Reloading Sub-Forum.

I now realize that the Investigation Phase in reloading never really stops. There is so much to be learned! Books, catalogs, discussion forums, Youtube…it goes on and on.

Initial Buying Phase
    I decided to start with a single stage press so that I could master the fundamentals before moving to a progressive. This is a typical way to start, but not the only one.

Figuring out what I needed in the way of a press, tools, powder, primers, and bullets was a bit frustrating. There were so many options that it felt like I was taking a drink from a fire hose. Should I get a ‘kit’ or do it ala cart? Where should I order from? Did I think of everything?

My solution…Make an Excel spreadsheet. (Those who know me won’t be a bit surprised at this!) I looked at what other people were recommending and kept modifying my list until the middle of October, then I went shopping!

I ordered the majority of the reloading equipment from Midway USA. I am publishing this list as it may be helpful to new reloaders. You don’t have to get all this stuff, but some items are essential. Some things you will already have around the house.

Equipment
    My initial reloading equipment looked like this:

Digital Caliper (already owned)
    Bondhus Hex wrench, Ball End Hex Key Wrench Set, 0.050 to 5/16"
    Frankford Arsenal Scale, Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale, 750 grain capacity
    Frankford Arsenal Tumbler, Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Rotary Media Separator
    L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool, 17 to 45 Caliber
    L.E. Wilson Gage, L.E. Wilson Case Length Gage, 9mm Luger
    L.E. Wilson Gage, L.E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gage, .223 Remington
    Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit (plastic dippers)
    Lyman "Reloading Handbook: 49th Edition" Reloading Manual
    Powder Trickler
    MTM Trays, Universal Reloading Tray, 50-Round Plastic, Red, 4
    RCBS Powder Funnel, 22 to 45 Caliber
    RCBS Die, Carbide 3-die Set 9mm Luger
    RCBS Die, 2 die set for .223 Remington
    RCBS Impact puller, Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller
    RCBS Pan, Powder Funnel Pan
    RCBS Press, Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press
    RCBS Priming Tool, Universal Hand Priming Tool
    RCBS Shellholder #10, .223 Remington
    RCBS Shellholder #16, 9mm
    RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure with Small Cylinder
    RCBS Stand, Powder Measure Stand
    RCBS Tray, Primer Turning Tray
    Adjustable wrench, 10" (already owned)
    Adjustable wrench, 12" (already owned)
    Combination wrenches in sizes from 5/16" to 3/4"
    Pliers, one pair (already owned)
    Clamps, Quick Grip style (already owned)
    Book, "ABC's of Reloading" Chevalier
    Labelmaker (already owned)
    Light, overhead, 4 bulb florescent
    Worklight, adjustable on pivot arm

A few weeks later I saw a need for a few more things:

RCBS Die, 3 die set for .45 ACP, RCBS
    Lyman Primer Pocket Cleaner, Small
    RCBS Case trimmer, Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer Kit
    RCBS Pins, Headed Decapping Pins, pkg of 5
    RCBS Shellholder #3 (45 ACP, .308 Win)
    RCBS Shellholder #27 (.40S&W)
    Lyman Chamfer and Deburring Kit, powered
    RCBS Baffle, Uniflow Powder Measure Powder Baffle
    RCBS Case Lube Kit
    RCBS Stuck Case Remover
    RCBS Swager, Primer Pocket Swager Combo
    Hornady Bushing Kit, Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kit
    Hornady Bushings, Lock-N-Load Die Bushings, pack of 3

(I really like the Hornady bushings. They add a ton of quick-change ease. Here’s more info about them.)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/138414-review_hornady_lock_n_load_press_and_die_bushing_kits.html

Components
    I attended the Intro to Reloading class taught by INGO advertiser Aszerigan of Profire Arms. Since I had such a good experience in his class, I bought my initial components from him.

2000 rounds, 9mm bullets (standard plinking grade)
    2000 rounds, .223 bullets (standard plinking grade)
    2 pounds of Titegroup powder
    8 pounds of Benchmark powder
    4000 CCI small pistol primers
    4000 CCI small rifle primers

My brass comes from range pick-up at my home range. I have a nice supply of all the brass cases I need for now. Once-fired brass can be found on the INGO classifieds. New brass casings can be purchased from on-line retailers (Midway, Natchez, Midsouth Shooters Supply, etc.) but are expensive for the beginning reloader. Just start saving the brass from the rounds you shoot and you'll quickly collect a nice supply of casings!

Supplies
    My initial list of supplies looked like this:

Frankford Arsenal Brass Case Polish, 8 oz.
    Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning Media, Corn Cob, 15 lb bag
    Hornady One Shot Case Lube, 5.5 oz
    Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner-Degreaser, 1 can
    MTM Ammo Box, Flip-top Ammo Box, .223 Remington, 50 round, blue
    MTM Ammo Box, Flip-top Ammo Box, 9mm Luger, 50 round Plastic, Smoke
    MTM Labels, Peel and Stick Reloader's Labels, package of 50
    Schwans Empty Schwan's buckets and lids to use to manage brass and bullets (already had this)
    Slip2000 Oil, Slip2000 EWL lube (already had this)
    Buckets, 5 gallon plastic for holding empty brass cases (already had these)
    Paper towels (from the house supply)
    Pens, Post-It notes (scavenged from the house!)
    Ziploc Freezer bags, Ziploc, 1 gallon size (for holding brass cases for sale)
    Ammo Box, plastic boxes to hold .45 ammo
    US Military Ammo Box, 50 cal ammo box

Initial Set-up
    I built a custom reloading bench that fit a specific space in our house. You can read more about it here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/116529-built_my_own_reloading_bench.html

8x0gg6.jpg

I started reloading 9mm and overall, things went fairly well. I did learn not to overcrimp the brass. I totally crushed a case trying to find out how much crimp was the right amount.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/117282-is_that_enough_crimp_or_learning_to_reload_part_1_a.html

I also learned that using reloading blocks with a single stage press will greatly improve the safety and reliability of the rounds I make by nearly eliminating the occurrence of squib or overcharged rounds.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/201744-i_had_my_first_squib_round_today.html#post2700170

I happily loaded for a couple of months. Then I bought a few more nifty tools and stuff.

I also had a period of about 3 months when I didn’t reload much. Spring weather and outdoor projects were part of the reason. However, when I dove back into reloading, I did it with intensity.

Subsequent Purchases
    When you reload, you’re buying habits change. Now when you go to a gun shop or gun show, you walk the aisles where the reloading equipment and shiny bullets are. Your “want list” grows since there is always that new die set or gadget you want.

I also noticed that when I’m on a range, my eyes dart across the ground more. I don’t want to leave any nice brass on the ground. I’m always on the look-out! :)

I became a fan of the Lee crimp dies! It started with my 9mm rounds. I initially had some rounds that were a bit tight in some barrels. Once I started using the Lee Factory Crimp Die all my rounds function smoothly. The die does a slight resizing on the case as it enters into the die. I also get a nice consistent crimp.

As I got into load development for rifle rounds, I bought a RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser. This allows me to create test loads much faster and easier while still assuring a =/- 0.1 grain maximum load variation. It’s a spoiler!

Equipment

I’m not trying to bore the reader with these long lists. Rather, I’m hoping that by reading down through the lists, the new reloaders among us will get some ideas for what they may need.

Frankford Arsenal Scale, Micro Reloading Elecronic Powder Scale, 750 grain capacity

L.E. Wilson Gage, Max Cartridge Gage, 9mm Luger
    Dillon Super Swager 600
    OnTarget Software, On Target MOA/target calculator
    RCBS Scale, Model 505 (as a back-up)
    RCBS Die, 3-Die Carbide set for 357 mag / 38 Special
    RCBS Shellholder #06 for 357/38
    Redding Crimp Die, Taper Crimp Die for 38/357
    Hornady Bushing, Lock-N-Load die bushings, 1 package of 3
    Lee Crimp Die, Lee Factory Crimp die for 9mm Lugar
    RCBS Die, 3-Die set for .40S&W
    Hornady Bushing, Lock-N-Load die bushings, 2 packages of 3
    RCBS Cutter head, .223 TrimPro 3-way cutter that chamfers (love this tool!)
    RCBS Die, 2-Die set for .30-.30
    RCBS Neck Sizer Die, .223 Remington
    RCBS Shellholder #7 for 30-30WCF
    RCBS Scale, automatic, ChargeMaster 1500 automatic powder dispenser and scale
    Lee Crimp Die, Lee Factory Crimp die for .45ACP
    Lee Crimp Die, Lee Factory Crimp Die for .40S&W
    Lee Crimp Die, factory crimp die in .223 Remington

Components

Some bullet purchases were well-planned, some were purely impulse.

I occasionally stop at the Atterbury Shooting Range (Atterbury Shooting Complex) in southern Johnson County to buy primers and powders. They have a nice selection of both at reasonable prices and I avoid the Hazmat fee.

Bulk bullets have mostly been from Berry’s Bullets (http://www.berrysmfg.com/). There are many other good sources of bullets on-line.

200 ea Bullets, .45 JHP
    100 ea Bullets, .45ACP
    1,000 ea Armscor Bullets, .224, 62 grain FMJBT
    500 ea Berrys Bullets, .45ACP
    1,000 ea Berrys Bullets, 9mm RN
    95 ea Bullet, 357 / 38 FMJ
    300 ea Hornadyn Bullets, .38 lead SWC
    500 ea Bullets, .224, 62 grain
    100 ea Hornady Bullets, V-Max , .224, 55 grain with cannelure
    100 ea Hornady Bullets, .224, 75 grain match
    250 ea Bullets, .45ACP, 185 gr. Flat nose
    100 ea Hornady Bullets, 9mm, 100 grain, FMJ
    100 ea Winchester Bullets, .224, 46 grain, HP
    200 ea Bullets, 9mm
    100 ea Sierra Bullets, .224 69 grain HPBT
    100 ea Hornady Bullets, Match bullets, .224, 68 grain HPBT
    200 ea Hornady Bullets, V-Max, .224, 55 grain
    100 ea Hornady Bullets, V-Max, .224, 60 grain
    100 ea Hornady Bullets, V-Max
    1,000 ea Hornady Bullets, bulk, .224, 55 grain, on sale
    500 ea .40 S&W, 189 grain flat nose bullets
    1,000 ea Berrys Bullets, 9mm FN, plated, 124 grain
    1,000 ea Berrys Bullets, 9mm RN, plated, 147 grain

1,000 ea CCI Primers, CCI Large Pistol primers
    1,000 ea Winchester Small Pistol primers
    2,000 ea CCI Primers, CCI Small Pistol primers
    3,000 ea CCI Primers, CCI Small Rifle primers
    1,000 ea CCI Primers, CCI Small Rifle primers
    1,000 ea CCI Primers, CCI Small Pistol primers
    1,000 ea CCI Primers, CCI Small Rifle primers

1 lb Vihtavouri N340 powder
    1 lb Vihtavouri N530 powder
    1 lb Hodgdon Titegroup powder
    1 lb Hodgdon Universal powder
    1 lb Ramshot Zip Powder
    8 lb Hodgdon Benchmark powder
    1 lb Hodgdon HP-38 powder

Supplies
    Hornady One Shot Case Lube, 5.5 oz.
    Ammo box, CB-01 ammo box with Styrofoam Tray, 9mm Luger, Box of 25
    Cleaning media, Walnut lizard bedding
    Hornady One Shot Case Lube, 5.5 oz.
    Ammo Box, CB-01 Ammo Box with Styrofoam Tray, 9mm Luger, box of 25
    Ammo box, CB-08 Ammo Box with Styrofoam Tray, 40S&W, 45 ACP, box of 25
    MTM "Ammo box, 223 - 50 round blue cases
    Ammo box, 38 /357 - 50 round blue case
    US Military Ammo Box, 50 cal ammo box (2)
    Hornady One Shot Canned Air, 10 oz, 1 can
    Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner-Degreaser, 1 can
    Ammo box, 9mm plastic box
    Frankford Arsenal Brass Case Polish, 32 oz.
    MTM Ammo boxes, Flip-top ammo boxes, for .223 Remington, 100 round
    Cleaning media, Walnut lizard bedding to fill Caldwell rifle rest.

My First Big Ammo Test

I planned for and then loaded a couple dozen different test batches of .223 ammunition. Then I shot groups and esrice shot the same ammo under the same conditions. I learned volumes.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/174892-range_report_comparison_of_223_bullets_of_various_weights_and_four_powders.html

What I Wish I Hadn’t Bought

In any gathering of tools and materials this varied, there’s bound to be some things you later wish you didn’t buy. For me, the list is fairly short.

-- RCBS Pocket Swager: I never really got comfortable with the way this press-based swager worked. It was slow and didn’t give me the feeling of knowing that I was getting the right amount of swage. I sold the Pocket Swager and replaced it with a Dillon 600 Super Swage unit.

-- Cheap scales: I initially bought a $20 electronic scale. Later I bought another when the first one died. The inexpensive scales got me by, but they were slow to settle out and give a reading. It would drift sometimes. It didn’t instill confidence. I now use the scale that is part of the RCBS Chargemaster dispenser. It’s very fast and a rock-solid unit.

-- Lyman Chamfer and Powered Deburring Kit. I'm not sure this tool belongs in this list because I still have it and will use it occasionally. Originally I bought it to process my .223 brass after I trimmed the case mouth to length. It was OK, but slow (better than a hand-help chamfer tool!). Then I bought the RCBS Cutter head, .223 TrimPro 3-way cutter. It great! It trims and chamfers the inside and outside of the case mouth in one operation.

Finances
    Years ago I worked in a motorcycle shop. Several times I overheard an enthusiastic young husband tell his wife “I’ll ride this motorcycle to work on nice days and save gas money!” Similarly, you hear enthusiastic new reloaders tell their spouse “I’ll reload and save money on ammo.” In either case, the proclamation is more about getting the shiny new machine than really saving money.

Now, before anyone gets too upset, I will acknowledge that money can be saved. Two groups who manage to get some quicker return on their reloading investment are high-volume competition shooters loading lead bullets and large caliber rifle shooters reloading expensive cartridges. I chose the two most difficult calibers with which to save money, 9mm and .223.

Some reloaders are able to shoot more for the same money as buying factory ammo. Some reloaders make better rounds than factory ammunition. Your reasons are just that, your reasons.

Several INGO members have moved into reloading and have done it very frugally. I like nice equipment and so my foray into reloading was a bit more pricy!

Here are some figures. I was a bit taken aback when I totaled up the categories. But numbers don’t lie. This is what I’ve spent. (Dear Lord, please don’t let my wife ever read this post!):(

Expenses:
    Initial equipment $1084
    Subsequent equipment $786
    Supplies $282
    Bullets $1398
    Powder $468
    Primers $527
    Total: $4545

Value of commercial
    ammo I didn’t buy: $2234

Revenue from misc. sales:* $774

Net expenditure to-date: $1537

*I sold unneeded brass cases, scrap brass, few parts, etc.

I’m not at my break-even point yet. However, buried in the Net Expenditure figure above is the value of all my prepped brass and all the components I have on-hand. I have enough components to make 5700 more rounds that will have a market value of $1961. Once I make those, I’ll be $424 ahead!

There are numerous threads on INGO discussing costs. I direct you there for additional reading.

It’s pretty easy to see that I’m not into reloading to save big bucks. Some savings will come, if I keep reloading. For me, there are other compelling reasons to reload. Primarily the ability to custom manufacture rounds for my guns. Also, for precision rifle shooting, there’s nothing better than testing bullet and powder combinations to find that one that is ‘just right’ for your firearm!

As an example, because of reloading, I can make rounds for a favorite rifle that I could not buy in a store. I make rounds that have been fire-formed in that rifle, have a powder charge tuned for that gun, and have bullets seated extra-long so they are just a few thousandths off the lands. I shot a 0.4 MOA 5-round group at 50 yards and have hit a full-sized IPSC Bobcat Steel target at 700 yards with those rounds. That’s fun!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ting_with_42769vette_and_que.html#post2771321

You can certainly get into reloading for much less. However, I hope this post will show some potential reloaders that it isn’t all about the money. There are many very good reasons to reload that have little to do with cost savings.

Summary
    To date, I’ve reloaded 6000 pistol rounds and 2200 rifle rounds, all on a single stage RockChucker. I also have 1800 pistol cases and 3700 rifle cases that have been prepped and primed along with a few thousand bullets and primers in inventory. It’s just waiting for me to decide what to load in it. In all that’s about 37,000 cycles on the press and it’s barely broken in!

Happy reloading! :ar15:

Last edited:

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Awesome info here, and in detail. I plan on start reloading once I can some up some money to get started. My dad reloads 9mm and I have reloaded about 200 or so rounds on his Lee turret press and I like what I have done so far. Nothing like reloading some bullets and then the next day go to the range. I hope to start with 9mm and then look into .223/5.56 and some 7.62x39. Not sure if I will ever get a .45 or not but that would probably be the other round I would try out.

I have started reading The ABCs of reloading its a great book.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Very nice write up. This should be stickied in my opinion.

Note: When I told my wife I was going to start reloading, I used the same "I'll save money..." line. Her response, "Oh whatever, that's just code for you'll shoot more which means you'll spend more."

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    If you dont mind me asking, what is the average start-up cost for reloading? With a good beginners reloading set up, about how much would it cost to get going?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    If you dont mind me asking, what is the average start-up cost for reloading? With a good beginners reloading set up, about how much would it cost to get going?

The cheapest route would be to buy a kit, RCBS, Hornaday and others make kits that include multiple pieces of the puzzle. For example, this kit includes the press, scale, powder measure, some tools and a reloading manual.

Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

However,you will still need the dies, bullets, powder, primers at the minimum to get going. If you hunt ebay or some classifieds, you can possibly piece together everything in this kit for less but not much less.

You can also save money by making some of your own components. For example, Ive got a ready supply of left over 2x6s from various projects, I made my own loading trays out of those with a drill, they work great for me.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    LMW...Everytime you or your kid does one of these reviews I know its going to be good! As usual a big THANKS for sharing! I after 40 years of guns always learn so much from you guys. I have not pulled my first official live round yet but have a lot of brass that prepped and cleaned and sized. I have watched endless hours of Youtube and asked hundreds of questions of many friends. I am getting closer to my first actual live round. This helps a lot to see that I still need some more stuff! Keep it coming!

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The cheapest route would be to buy a kit, RCBS, Hornaday and others make kits that include multiple pieces of the puzzle. For example, this kit includes the press, scale, powder measure, some tools and a reloading manual.

Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

However,you will still need the dies, bullets, powder, primers at the minimum to get going. If you hunt ebay or some classifieds, you can possibly piece together everything in this kit for less but not much less.

You can also save money by making some of your own components. For example, Ive got a ready supply of left over 2x6s from various projects, I made my own loading trays out of those with a drill, they work great for me.

Thanks. Reloading is something I really want to get in to in the future, but it seems very intimidating. So many parts like tumblers and brass cleaners and dies and stuff, and I just dont understand it all. Maybe if I can just find someone that does it and watch them work it will help me understand. Im more of a hands on learner. I have a friend that tried starting but I havent talked to him since he started. Maybe Ill sit down with him. Thanks again.

Edit: I must have skipped over the part in the OP with the price. Just went back and seen it.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Thanks. Reloading is something I really want to get in to in the future, but it seems very intimidating. So many parts like tumblers and brass cleaners and dies and stuff, and I just dont understand it all. Maybe if I can just find someone that does it and watch them work it will help me understand. Im more of a hands on learner. I have a friend that tried starting but I havent talked to him since he started. Maybe Ill sit down with him. Thanks again.

Edit: I must have skipped over the part in the OP with the price. Just went back and seen it.

I don't want to distract too much from the OP's thread but its not as intimidating as it may seem, I recently just got into it myself. I reccomend tracking down the ABCs of Reloading book from Amazon and if you can, find some who can walk you through it a few times, you're get the hang of it quick.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

I don't want to distract too much from the OP's thread but its not as intimidating as it may seem, I recently just got into it myself. I recommend tracking down the ABCs of Reloading book from Amazon and if you can, find someone who can walk you through it a few times, you're get the hang of it quick.

Both these posts get at an important point. Getting into reloading so SO MUCH EASIER if you can have someone take you through the basic steps and help you decide on your initial gear. It is amazing how much confidence you will gain once you’ve pulled the handle on a press a few times.

If you are in central Indiana, I highly recommend the Beginners Reloading classes taught by INGO’s own Aszerigan of Profire Arms.

Profire Arms & Supply, Inc. - INGunOwners

If not, there are many other highly experienced INGO reloaders around the state. I'm confident that several of them would take the time to mentor a new reloader.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.

Both these posts get at an important point. Getting into reloading so SO MUCH EASIER if you can have someone take you through the basic steps and help you decide on your initial gear. It is amazing how much confidence you will gain once you’ve pulled the handle on a press a few times.

If you are in central Indiana, I highly recommend the Beginners Reloading classes taught by INGO’s own Aszerigan of Profire Arms.

Profire Arms & Supply, Inc. - INGunOwners

If not, there are many other highly experienced INGO reloaders around the state. I'm confident that several of them would take the time to mentor a new reloader.

Thanks LMW. Ill be sure to check out Profire when Im ready to take the jump into this. Great write up. I always enjoy your reviews.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

In equipment cost alone, I spent roughly $289 to get started reloading 9mm. I went with the Lee anniversary kit. I will advise this though, the scale and powder measure leave something to be desired. The press is solid though. That also includes a tumbler, Lee Dies, ammo boxes, etc.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    LMW...Everytime you or your kid does one of these reviews I know its going to be good! As usual a big THANKS for sharing! I after 40 years of guns always learn so much from you guys. I have not pulled my first official live round yet but have a lot of brass that prepped and cleaned and sized. I have watched endless hours of Youtube and asked hundreds of questions of many friends. I am getting closer to my first actual live round. This helps a lot to see that I still need some more stuff! Keep it coming!

I appreciate your kind words. Thank you! :)

As I've said before, I strongly urge you to find an active reloader in your area and partner with him in the beginning. It will take much of the mystery out of the reloading process and you'll acquire the 'feel' for some steps much faster. By 'feel', I mean situations like learning what the press handle feels like as you encounter a crimped primer that doesn't want to move. Or, what does a properly crimped bullet feel like as you run you finger down the side. These things can be learned much faster if you have an experienced reloader showing you. I also believe the new reloader is less likely to make a safety mistake if they have someone who is helping them get started.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You're gonna run out of powder.

Seriously though, holy crap! I've been reloading close to 20 years and don't have anywhere near that list of equipment... well, at second glance... maybe I do...

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Lovemywoods - Great post!

This would definitely go toward your 50 "quality" posts if you had not already surpassed that point.:D

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I let Indiana Live Casino buy my RCBS Rock Crusher Master Reload Kit. Overall I have spent probably $1000 for everything i have at the moment. This includes components. There are many videos on youtube that will help people see what is going on in the process. It isn't as scary as it seems. If you are on the south side of Indy PM me and i will show you my setup and let you load some of my .40 for me.:D

Top Bottom