Dillon Explosion - Wear your safety glasses !

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Well, I guess if you reload long enough, you'll see just about everything.

While loading ammunition this afternoon, I had an explosion on my Dillon 1050. Below is the description, but I'll urge everyone to wear your safety glasses while your reloading. I'm glad I was wearing mine.

I visually inspect the powder charge on each cartridge that goes through my Dillon, so while bending over the machine, there was a primer that got wedged into the primer insertion plate and detonated. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but it initiated a 'gang break' and detonated every single primer in the primer stack. There were probably fifty large pistol primers in that hopper, and every single one exploded.

Luckily, Dillon primer feed tubes offer a dual tube hopper, the inside being aluminium and the outside being steel. When it blew, all the force was projected through the top of the primer hopper, blowing out the primer follower rod, peppering my lights with exploded primers caps, destroying my lights above my table, and sending glass and metal flying everywhere.

Normally, I warn people against using Federal primers in auto-feed systems, since they're more volatile than normal primers. But I was using CCI's, so it can happen with any brand.

I'm a little deaf in my right ear, but I'm fine. Can't say as much for my machine. Going to relax for a few minutes before I dismantle it and see how much damage there is.

Photos below: The damage on the bench, glass everywhere, and the primer follower rod that was 20 feet from the press. (notice the melted and crushed end)

Really, guys.... wear your safety glasses. It can happen.

24w4y2x.jpg

ibl5b6.jpg

zkmy5k.jpg

Last edited:

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Yikes! Thank you for the reminder to us all to take precautions about our eyes. I actually wear a clear face shield when I reload. Glad you're not injured... hopefully much of the hearing in that ear returns.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Primer feed tube is completely destroyed. The tips are black and melted solid. Primer feed plate is ok, but the inside of the tube carrier is totally burnt. (Notice all the primers still in the tube)

ms20ee.jpg

@ Anthony - Chester was inside sleeping on the couch. Woke him up though, that's for sure.

@ Zen - The ringing will subside, I'm sure.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Holy crap man! Dillon designs their equipment to handle the mass detonations like that, but the way their primer tubes are, ALL brands of primer can have a chain reaction. The problem with Federal primers is increased sensitivity to both crush detonation AND mass detonation.

I'm really glad you're ok!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good to see that you are alright, I'll watch my CCIs from now on. Like you I have always been a little cautious around Federals.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Damn Son==Be Carefull!!

Glad you're ok Bro!! As you said-these things WILL happen if you load long enough.
    I can also think that your carpet by your press may be a little "Discolored"-Not to mention the Fruit of the Loom's!:dunno:
    Glad to hear that Chester is also OK--What about Mandy+the Cats??:draw:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    @ Bill - Mandy is out of town for two weeks, so I'm by myself. No cleanup necessary, but it sure sucked.

I'm used to the occasional detonation, it happens alot with .223 when you're removing mil crimps on the 1050 and repriming. But this wasn't one primer, it was 50 at once. That'll hurt your ears. You can see them all burnt out on the fourth post.

CCI's are hard primers, it surprised me more than anything. They're harder than Winchester and Federal. But there's alot of force going on in these machines, that's for sure.

Done reloading for the night, I think it's Miller time. I'll clean up tomorrow.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Andrew, when I do get time to take one of your reloading classes, you are never to mention this around my wife...........

Oh and I'm really glad no serious harm came your way!

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Thanks Andrew for the lesson and I am glad you are ok. I am getting my eye's checked again soon and I think I will order an extra pair of safety glasses just for when I reload.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Dillon blow up

Glad to see you made it through the ordeal with minimal damage to body & home. I've reloade with Dillons for 27 years and am lucky to say I've never had a mishap. I appreciate the heads up to remind me not to get too comfortable with my reloading.

Top Bottom