• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For those of you guys that swapped out your standard A2 birdcage and went with something else. . . .

Why?

What changed?

Was it worth it?

What brand/style did you go with?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

VLTOR VC-1. I like it because it gives some compensation effect in addition to flash suppression. Performance is satisfactory in both regards, though it is not as good in either role as a dedicated device. On the up side, it is not nearly as loud or "blasty" as many of the comps that are currently en vogue.

I also like the fact that, because it has slots all around, the VC-1 does not need to be indexed or timed during installation.

Finally, it is compatible with my HALO silencer. :yesway:

fireball168

Master
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I'm (still) stuck on the Vortex.

For coyote hunting in the dark, with other folks around - I haven't found anything better. From behind it, beside it, or running it - the flash with my typical hunting load (60g BT over Varget) is next to nothing.

I've fitted several to bolt rifles up to 30-06 with very similar results.

Kind of a surprise, the DPMS LR-308 AP4 factory flash hider is quite effective.

I've got a couple of customers that want every new one that's made (within reason). I think its their highlight of the year when they see my SHOT pictures of the latest and greatest. Practically every time we go out though, their Vortex's are spun on the barrel.

Personally, I like the CMMG Striker Vortex - although I can't say that I've got any use for it whatsoever.

Likely I'll end up drawing my own blood (likely my foot) with the damn thing one of these days - I guess that would literally make me "stuck on the Vortex".

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    For those of you guys that swapped out your standard A2 birdcage and went with something else. . . .

Why?

What changed?

Was it worth it?

I picked up a Troy Medieval and put it on one of my daughter's ARs. Its a combination muzzle break & flash hider. Honestly never shot that gun at night so I have no idea if its effective for that purpose or not. I got the Troy in a parts trade. I admit it looks cool, but I don't know if it is worth much more than that.

medmuzmain.jpg

fireball168

Master
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The tuning-fork sound got to be a little annoying, though.

I've noticed it comes and goes with different loads, but isn't present or at least noticeable in the bolt rifles.

I've never tried one on a heavy barreled AR though other than a 458 SOCOM, which wasn't noticeable.

I wonder if it is just harmonizing with the barrel whip on the lighter barreled AR's.

Anyway - one of the OCD fellows I mention above raised a bunch of hell about it early on. At his suggestion (supposedly from Smith), I machined a brass washer .0625" thick out of some 360 I had laying around. He claims it cut the noise in half or better when placed between the barrel and the Vortex.

It would be interesting to see if a mild steel, or washer of any other composition the same thickness would make the same difference - never though of using one like a barrel tuner.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have a primary weapon systems DNTC on order. it is an extremely effective muzzle brake but it does have a lot of side blast. the only other one I would buy is the KAC triple tap brake but they are impossible to find and anyone that owns them won't part with them. so if anyone knows somebody with one they want to sell send them my way.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    the only other one I would buy is the KAC triple tap brake

You would pay $400-some bones for a muzzle brake? :nuts:

On M4C, some serious shooters who have experience with both have said the DNTC is actually a more effective comp than the Triple Tap. The Triple Tap's advantages are that it is almost as effective but much less blasty than the DNTC, and is compatible with the KAC silencer (and everybody's got one of those, right?). And oh yeah, it's also a chick magnet. :):

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    You would pay $400-some bones for a muzzle brake? :nuts:

On M4C, some serious shooters who have experience with both have said the DNTC is actually a more effective comp than the Triple Tap. The Triple Tap's advantages are that it is almost as effective but much less blasty than the DNTC, and is compatible with the KAC silencer (and everybody's got one of those, right?). And oh yeah, it's also a chick magnet. :):

yeah I would, (lest we forget what I spend on knives;)) its the less blasty part that makes me want it, but for $330 I guess I can settle for the DNTC.:)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The DN in DNTC stands for David Neth - DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. If he's putting his initials on it, it works and wins.

Hey, lookie who else is on that page: DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

I've only shot 1 AR with a comp, and that was bigcraig's gamer gun. That thing didn't rise at all, but there was a noticeable concussion with each shot, and I don't think it would be great if people were standing next to me. Is there anything out there that will limit muzzle rise like that, but without the concussive blast associated with it?

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My old AR had some twisted four pronged thing..... I replaced it with this...
    Primarily because I think it looked cool :)

I had my post ban rifles barrel threaded because I didn't have the cash for a full barrel replacement. As I still had no bayonet lug, I decided to go with an aggressive brake to compensate(no pun intended). I bought this thing off of Ebay for the same reason as stated above, it looked really cool. Much to my dismay, it also directed a good portion of the muzzle wash back into my face, with enough force to knock a hat off after 2-3 shots. The Birdcage went back on, and I now have a very unique $50 paperweight :ugh:

slow1911s

Master
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey, lookie who else is on that page: DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

I've only shot 1 AR with a comp, and that was bigcraig's gamer gun. That thing didn't rise at all, but there was a noticeable concussion with each shot, and I don't think it would be great if people were standing next to me. Is there anything out there that will limit muzzle rise like that, but without the concussive blast associated with it?

From what I've heard, DNTC and PWS are probably the quietest. The thing is, that energy (including sound) has to be dumped somewhere, and that's generally to the sides and up. I have a Miculek that is very effective on my gun (20", full mass carrier, adjustable gas block) and I don't notice the blast when I'm behind the gun. Those to the sides? They notice for sure.

Top Bottom