• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Lovemywoods and I went to Allen's place yesterday to talk about scopes. I have never been all that interested in scopes since I was doing find with the equipment I had, even though I wasn't totally satisfied. I just couldn't see myself paying $2,000 for some of the scopes I've seen and heard some people talking about. So, I purchased one scope after another, looking for that "inexpensive" option that fit my every need, but I never found it.

I met Allen at the last 1500 and really didn't feel like being talked into a fancy and expensive scope, so I waited until he was busy and picked up one to take a look. I can't convey the level of shock I experienced when I looked through that scope. The clarity was astounding and even at the lowest power I was reading the smallest lettering on some of the banners at the very back of the show area. It was at that point I realized I needed to talk to him.

I found that Allen was not trying to sell me the most expensive scope, but was really attempting to determine what my needs were. He told me what he would and would not recommend, based on his inquiry and my responses.

If you are looking for a scope, take a look at these videos and see what you think. You can contact Allen or any other vendor, but make sure you focus on determining what products are available that fit your purpose, at the price you are willing to pay.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXl7mPLmpo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXl7mPLmpo[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptBHQUSdGkI&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptBHQUSdGkI&feature=channel[/ame]

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i think the camera added a few pounds:D i had a great time doing these videos. obviously i jumped around alot and didn't get a chance to fully cover some of the details i would have liked to so let me know if there is anything particular you want more info on.

thanks for comming out, its alot of fun watching people shoot 700+yds for the first time. somday ill get my tower built and we can do 1150

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I picked up a Diamondback from Alan at the 1500. I'd been talking to him for a few months and he was great about asking questions and helping me figure out what it was I really needed. :yesway:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    INGO build party! :rockwoot:

only problem is the land owner (my father) wont go for a perminate shooting tower beside the nieghbors house and 20 yds from the road. it would be a amazing thing to have though. mabye somday it will work out. im not to worried about disturbing that nieghbor, he would help himself to the tower pretty often:D

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Great video Allen and Que!

I loved the camera shot at the end showing Que's last four hits at 730 yards!

Lots of information. There is much more to knowing about optics than I understood in the past. I'm still learning and Allen is a great teacher. Very patient and practical.

One 'nugget' I learned was that the lower magnification specification is just as important or more important than the upper magnification level. It made since once Allen explained it.

I'm working on an AAR for our day on Saturday. I'll link it here when it's up.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Lots of information. There is much more to knowing about optics than I understood in the past. I'm still learning and Allen is a great teacher. Very patient and practical.

One 'nugget' I learned was that the lower magnification specification is just as important or more important than the upper magnification level. It made since once Allen explained it.

Please forgive the oversight... I would also like to thank my cameraman. lovemywoods, for his assistance. I've tried a few videos and it works a lot better with a guy behind the camera. I may get some real equipment at some point to make things even better.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

thanks for comming, it was nice to meet both of you outside of a gunshow enviroment where im rushing around. ill look forward to the AAR

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    May I suggest a follow up video on some quality rings for the scopes ?

different models and price ranges

(and most important ,...:cool: ... coolness factor)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    i think the camera added a few pounds:D i had a great time doing these videos. obviously i jumped around alot and didn't get a chance to fully cover some of the details i would have liked to so let me know if there is anything particular you want more info on.

thanks for comming out, its alot of fun watching people shoot 700+yds for the first time. somday ill get my tower built and we can do 1150

That is a quality goatee. I'll have some questions for you when I get ready to pick up a few scopes. Scopes and rings is an area I've not done sufficient homework. I've read enough of your advice to others to know that giving you a price range, range I'll be shooting, and things like that...you'll be able to give some quality suggestions. I just wish I knew someone up this way with a Sparc and magnifier on a swing out mount so I could get some hands on time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That is a quality goatee. I'll have some questions for you when I get ready to pick up a few scopes. Scopes and rings is an area I've not done sufficient homework. I've read enough of your advice to others to know that giving you a price range, range I'll be shooting, and things like that...you'll be able to give some quality suggestions. I just wish I knew someone up this way with a Sparc and magnifier on a swing out mount so I could get some hands on time.

i always tell folks i for tired of looking for wind flags so i grew a goatee that i can look down at when need be:D

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Vortex optics rock and have one of the best warranties and customer service attitudes in the business. I am in the process of changing everything over to Vortex. Alan's a great guy also!

Top Bottom