• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've seen the non-factory mags made for Glocks and was wondering if they were any good. I'm assuming that they aren't, but I'd like to know one way or the other. Most of the ones I've seen are around $10 each and that'd be quite a savings over the $25+ glock mags. I appreciate any advice.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For range work/practice the KCI/Khan mags are just about perfect.

For carry...go factory every time.

-J-

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For range work/practice the KCI/Khan mags are just about perfect.

For carry...go factory every time.

-J-

This is what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind a few spares for the range. If I'm in a spot where I'm going to trust my life on the gun I'd be using the factory mags.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I bought four KCI mags.Two Glock 19 mags (15 rounds) and two Glock 17 mags (17 rounds) both in 9mm.I was just curious about them like you.
    They are very hard to load but its maybe because they are new.
    I loaded 14 rounds in one of the 15 rounds mag, its the best I could do.
    The other mags I could only load 10 or so.The springs are very stiff.
    I havent tried shooting with them yet but I think they would work good for the range.
    For home defense/CCW I would go with factory mags.
    Im not going to wonder all day if my mag is gonna work if I need it, if it says "Glock" on it I know that I wont have any problems.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Just make sure you take the time to be certain it says glock on it before a life or death situation

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    There are some used factory mags on line somewhere that are pretty cheap and work well. I can't remember exactly where but I think it was like Cddn or something like that. I got 2 glock used g23 mags for about $34 shipped. About $17 a piece, shipping was $ 9.99 for unlimited items so if you have the money the price per mag goes down with each additional mag.
    I like them, they are both glock le mags and drop free.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Taking a very reliable gun, and using anything but reliable mags in it.. is about as stupid as ..... this.

oprah-bees.gif

I say again, its a stupid move, and you will regret it in the future. When you do, remember the bees! :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't see what's stupid about lower cost mags to only be used at the range, but that's just me.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    If you start going to competitions, you will see those cheap korean mags fail time after time. I have personally taken a couple of guys to a fun shoot, only to have them completly and totally frustrated and embarressed when 90% of the mags they brought were jam o matics.

We spent all the time we could reloading the 2 GOOD Glock mags, so that 3 people could use them.

They were DEAD LAST on the score sheet, and they had the shooting skill to do far better. This sort of... put the damper on their enthusiasm for a while, and believe me, they wished they had Glock mags.

Buying cheap, means buying twice.

You have one of the worlds most reliable pistols. Dont screw it up to save a very VERY small amount of money.

Even just for the range. The range is where 99% of our time shooting pistols will be, make it enjoyable for yourself, not embarressing to own a "jamming Glock" and if you do shoot competitively, you are going to have to buy the reliable mags.. anyhow.

Buy once, cry once. Especially with an item that is KNOWN to be bad juju.

And we are talking about Glock money here. Not 1911 money. or HK mag money.

I also know a guy who went to a 3 day pistol class with KCI mags, and he always had said "They have never failed for me before!" and ended up crushing them up and throwing them away mid-class.

Anyhow, thats my advice, take it or leave it, doesnt matter to me! :)

Good luck either way.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The G19 kickoffs are pretty decent, depending on what you are doing. The 17 and 33 rounders are iffy. I had three of the 33 rounders, 1 was an absolute mess, the other two worked like a Swiss watch. None of the 17 rounders worked with any confidence inspiring reliability.

The G22 mag copies I have seen are SUPER spotty at best. I have yet to see one work for an entire magfull of rounds... Plus side is Glock finally made a FACTORY G22 extended (26 or some odd rounds) mag! Yeay Keltec .40 owners! :D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's probably just as well to buy the real thing anyway then. I'm looking for some 10mm mags and I may as well just get the real ones.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have 4 mags for the G17 and 3 for the G19.

They were really hard to load the first few times, now they are not bad.

I have used them on the range and in a few small matches. So far so good. No jams or issues with function of both guns.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Whatever mag you choose, factory or knock off, keep training/range mags as exactly that, and carry/defense mags seperate.

I was taught this valuable lesson some time ago, but only really "learned" the lesson this past summer at a training class and shortly after. The hard way. ;)

I mark my training mags with tape/spray paint to indicate they are for training or the range ONLY. They get dropped, stepped on, thrown in the dirt, etc, plus they see the most use. I don't want to have to depend on those if it comes down to "go time".

I have my others as either no markings or a very specific marking that indicates they are my "real" mags, and they DO NOT get used otherwise.

If a training mag breaks or fails, pull one from the "real" mag stash, and mark it accordingly, and replace immediately. Set a minimum number of "real mags" to keep on hand, and don't go below that to replace training until you restock. For each person, these quantities are different.

Lastly, and more on point with the discussino at hand (sorry for the ramble), I have had good luck with the KCI mags. The occasional malfunction isn't a bad thing to have to deal with on the training grounds!

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    CDNN had alot of there used oem glock mags on sale for 9.99. I picked a few of the LE used G22 mags and they have been flawless. They do have china specials for 5.99 I have never been brave enough to purchase.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I picked up about 10 mags from CDNN that were a mixed bag of Kahn and KCI Glock copy magazines. I got them for less than five dollars a piece because I had a coupon and for every two I bought, I also got an el cheapo mag pouch.

I spent about the same amount as I would on two OEM Glock mags. I purchased these for range duty ONLY expecting them to be junk or near junk. I have a G22 with a 9mm conversion barrel and I'm not doing much in the way of serious wetwork or putting my jack boots to the necks of civilians foreign nor abroad.

I'm approaching a thousand rounds through 4 selected magazines (two from each manufacturer) and I have not had one literal failure of any sort. YMMV but mine has been great.

When I do carry, do I load up a KCI or Kahn? Nope. I stick with an OEM Glock mag I picked up at a local shop for around 23 bucks.

Actially, when I carry, I've been loading up on an M&P for several weeks now. Call me a traitor. ;)

Top Bottom