Can they stop me in the county court house ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fun fact: That entrance was closed off when the building was the police headquarters because a wealthy individual didn't like seeing uniformed police coming and going from their offices' view of the building, complained to the city, and it remained closed for decades. Only recently has it been open to employees again, and that was due to staffing issues and construction.
    Interesting. I just found it ironic back in the day that I had to disarm to renew my LTCH. (yes, I said it has been a few years)

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Makes me think about the Noble county annex. They used to have a gun buster sign on the door and it is gone and now they have just a "no knives" sign on the door. You still have to go through a metal detector but I'm wondering what would happen if I walk through it and the deputy were to wand me should I just lift my shirt and show them and mention the preemptive law? To the best of my knowledge there is no court or judge's office in that building that would make it an offense for carrying.

Edit
    Need to wait until courthouse renovation is done before try that as all courts are temporarily housed in the annex

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Wasn't sure where this issue might best fit in which thread, so if need be, ad mins move as appropriate.

Last week I went to the county courthouse to pay my semi annual real estate taxes - the treasurer's office is located on the second floor. Upon entering the only one of the four courthouse entry doors the public is allowed to use (law enforcement, lawyers, and courthouses employees can use the other doors - special privileges but that's another element of the story).

So . . . . .having cleared the entry door I was immediately subjected to a walk through X-ray scanner only after emptying my pockets of all contents - wallet, cell phone, etc. NOT ALLOWED were firearms nor knives. To ensure I didn't violate the rules there were not one, but TWO, county sheriff's deputies present.

I was not carrying a firearm, but couldn't resist asking one of the deputies why the restriction since it went against the Second Amendment. His reply was the county had passed an "ordinance" restricting firearm carry in the courthouse. I didn't press the issue as I felt the deputy wasn't going to waiver in his response(s).

As far as I know, no one has contested this process. One of the facets that kinda grinds my gears is that off law enforcement aren't subject to the restriction - yet I would contend law enforcement officers off duty are just like any other citizen ? And the same even more so for the lawyers who are knownto regularly use the courthouse for various duties.

Wondering if this restriction is in use in other counties ?
    It's relatively new in Boone county, at least the enforcement part IIRC. I believe at the annex there is a no guns sign but no enforcement, so I assume it's just another sign, not like a courthouse.
    The Hamilton county courthouse has had strict enforcement for years, they've asked many people over the years to take the knife back to the car, etc. Don't know what they'd do about a gun, depends on your attitude.
    The Clinton county courthouse has had a sheriff posted for many years but no metal detector. When I'm working it's very normal for me to be carrying a fixed blade knife on my bibs or pants. I walk right past them and they never say anything, probably because I look like a worker type not a trouble maker type.

Why would anyone bother to take their taxes in? Why not mail them, got them postmarked on the due day, and let them wait and give them something else to do. Just trying to do my part towards civil disobedience.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why would anyone bother to take their taxes in? Why not mail them, got them postmarked on the due day, and let them wait and give them something else to do. Just trying to do my part towards civil disobedience.

I pay mine online now that it's an option in Scott Co. Bank transfer/ e-check is no fee to do so.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    @Kirk Freeman can best answer this question. Might look at these threads.

All this thread and NONE of you has brought up me and bathrooms?

I used to believe in you guys. Stress at work? Pacers in playoffs? Whats going on?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Court houses are exempt and you can’t carry (wether they enforce that outside of major trial times is county dependent)

However the Deputies (probably Special and not merit) were misguided. It’s not a Counry ordinance and if it was it would be illegal as the steve preemption refuses a lower city/county to make their own.
    No. Indiana preemption allows local governments to have an ordinance outlawing carry in a building with a courtroom. The State doesn't make it illegal. It allows local authorities to make it illegal.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wondering if this restriction is in use in other counties ?

Yes, I have been in many courthouses for my gig (37 counties as of posting), every county has such an ordinance, even Greene (I have a story about Greene). Clinton County was late and they don't really check but they have an ordinance.

**Greene County** Teaching a morning CLE in Evansville and I stopped in Bean Blossom to see the Greene County courthouse as I don't get down that way. I walk in, 2 deputies (busy day), they ask if I have a gun, I say no, the older one sees my knife (Microtech UTX-70) and says can't have a knife. I ask about length restrictions, he says not matter. I nod and turn to leave to put in my truck.

Younger one sticks out hand, "I'll take it, sir", for some reason I had it to him. He admires it, flicking it open and shut a couple of times then goes to a side room and produces one of those Lansky kit things and begins to sharpen it. I look at older one, he shrugs and I run off to Circuit Court to play tourist.

I look around and come out. Deputy young dude presents me my property and wants to talk about the knife. It is razor sharp and he lubed it. I tell him about Brad at Revolver Tactical, lol.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    No. Indiana preemption allows local governments to have an ordinance outlawing carry in a building with a courtroom. The State doesn't make it illegal. It allows local authorities to make it illegal.
    Isn’t a courthouse not listed as a restricted place within the IC?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Given the shell game being played with property taxes, I can see why the assessor's office might prefer the metal detectors and guards.

Superficially, it seems like only the courtrooms should be off limits. Simply having a courtroom present in a building shouldn't limit one's rights while in other parts of the building. Personal infringement by the .gov, c'est la vie.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    **Greene County** Teaching a morning CLE in Evansville and I stopped in Bean Blossom to see the Greene County courthouse
    Kirk,
    My wife who's from Greene Co. took great offense at your assertion that their courthouse is located on Bean Blossum. It's in Bloomfield.
    She was not surprised at the rest of your story however!

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Kirk,
    My wife who's from Greene Co. took great offense at your assertion that their courthouse is located on Bean Blossum. It's in Bloomfield.
    She was not surprised at the rest of your story however!

I was about to add the same thing. Also, they don't allow any knives at all in the Greene County Courthouse / government building. The deputy temporarily confiscated even my little 1" swiss army knife / nail file (but gave it back on the way out.) The deputies there are very nice, but they do follow the (misguided) rules.

Top Bottom