• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Their patented hub is easy as hell to copy. Just need to determine what sizes of pvc are being used. I have a project that would be a good test for this design.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Their patented hub is easy as hell to copy. Just need to determine what sizes of pvc are being used. I have a project that would be a good test for this design.

That was my first thought as well. But look at their prices.

They must be using child labor to deliver them at that price point.

Just buy one. Get the hub only kit if you need to. By the time you build a jig, drill your holes, I'm not sure you're saving anything.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I didn't see the price, but getting jigs made is easy for me up here. I actually probably already have one that would work. Hole saws for drills, I gots lots.

I wonder if the big piece is 3" or 4"?

Digging through site: Center hub is 2".

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Trigger Time and I took the kids to the playground a few years ago and remarked on how well one of those would make a sturdy shelter, modern wigwam-ey.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I didn't see the price, but getting jigs made is easy for me up here. I actually probably already have one that would work. Hole saws for drills, I gots lots.

I wonder if the big piece is 3" or 4"?

Digging through site: Center hub is 2".

They give you all of the information needed to cut your own struts. If you watch the videos, you can get the sizing for the hubs. Look for the video of the load test with the super hubs, I believe they give the specs on the standard hubs there.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    They give you all of the information needed to cut your own struts. If you watch the videos, you can get the sizing for the hubs. Look for the video of the load test with the super hubs, I believe they give the specs on the standard hubs there.
    I also found a lot of detail in their patent info. The same place where they stress they will sue you for duplicating their design. They do however offer to let you use their design for free if your ideas are unique and you share them in a photo. Also if you are financially challenged. So kudos to them for that but getting a patent on a unique repurposing of tinker toy technology, genius.

I am inclined to test my idea, if it works I might share it, might not. On the other hand, it won't handle as much snow and wind as my original direction so probably a mute point. This is not something you do on your own and post pics of all over the net without their patent infringement release. Unless it is after 2030 when their patent expires.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is a cool concept. I wonder how well it would work as a form for building a snow block structure on the outside.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    How well does PVC plastic hold up in sub freezing temperatures? I've seen PVC flag poles fold up like noodles when it gets hot outside.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This is a cool concept. I wonder how well it would work as a form for building a snow block structure on the outside.
    I am posting without all the names I just called you, not a one of them nice.

WHY would you need a frame at all to build a snow block structure AKA an igloo. All you need, besides the right snow and skills, is a proper KNIFE. Yes Rhino, the key to building one is knife. I bet you want one now. These days people use saws but I learned in my youth with old snow knives. I have one that while not a true snow knife, works for me and was my Grandfather's so probably close to 90 years old.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en...r/snow-saw-pro-BD1021740000ALL1.html#start=17

PVC does fine in sub zero temps. It's been my experience using the wrong type or strength needed under load is where it fails. PVC used as a flag pole is a lot different from being used in a dome. You notice he does not use cheap, thin walled pipe.

The snow structure shown on the web site looks like it is lined with a Prodex insulation. I have become a huge fan of their products.

Last edited:

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I stumbled across one of these while watching a YouTube video.

It amazes me how simple it is and how cheaply you could make some of these. You could make some kits and just have them at your place or your BOL and only put them up when needed. Would make a great temporary housing, green house, etc.

Zip Tie Domes - Geodesic Dome Greenhouse Kits and Chicken Coop Kits for Sale

i think this thing is bordering on the truly awesome.

As they mentioned, construction using PVC is a flawed notion, but for a temporary "damn near anything" these are really cool.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Could just shovel snow over the thing. No need for blocks.

At risk of triggering zoub's wrath again...

That could work, but you'd have to pack it at the bottom and work your way up. Otherwise, it would slide off. That might actually work pretty well. Set-up the dome, then pack some snow for insulation on there and you're done.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    At risk of triggering zoub's wrath again...

That could work, but you'd have to pack it at the bottom and work your way up. Otherwise, it would slide off. That might actually work pretty well. Set-up the dome, then pack some snow for insulation on there and you're done.
    Nice try but........YOU FAIL! Wrath coming in.

It does work, its called an unfinished igloo with a tarp over the top. Only this would be fancier than a tarp. Difference being you can't carry a dome in a pack. However, you can carry a snow knife and tarp in your gear sled.

Hey, I was just trying to give you an excuse to buy another knife. I set my expectations of skills development low.

My Mom and Daughter are coming for a visit this winter, they think I was joking about the snow shelter survival session I have planned for them.

Top Bottom