• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I read the stickies and didn't see anything in regards to youth events. Mainly im interested in getting my daughter (9yrs old and shoots a colt rail 1911/.22) and my son (11 with a ruger 10/22) into competitive shooting. We live in the Marion, IN (grant county) area so travel would be a necessity because ive never heard of anything around this area. Being completely new to organized competitive shooting I'm not really sure where to start. Do any ranges from fort wayne to Indianapolis hold organized events for youth? If so, could you point me in the right direction with a website or contact info. Thanks

mwwilkew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    While we've not participated in any youth specific events, I would definitely recommend the steel matches at both Atlanta Conservation Club (Steel Challenge - 2nd Sat each month) and Marion County Fish and Game (Friday Night Steel - 2nd and 4th Fridays each month). My youngest son started shooting these matches when he was about 12. There's usually a few "youth" at each match, but not a ton, however, both groups are welcoming and encouraging to kids. The Colt and Ruger will work fine at either match.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    any of the events discussed in the sticky are open to youth. many clubs allow youth to shoot for free or discount. Certainly things like steel challenge or other steel matches are good entry into the sports (especially if they are only shooting .22), but there is no required "path" to take. If something like uspsa gets their interest then go for it. Whether they are ready is up to you, and safety and safe handling is the most important factor.

Notice the USPSA Junior Camp is open to kids as young as 9.
    USPSA Junior Camp Scholarship Info

In Ft Wayne, look at frww.us for a list of their events. everything from bullseye to high-power to practical pistol. I think the indoor range in town (Freedom Firearms) holds a bullseye league, but I don't know anything about it. You are pretty close (w/in an Hr) to Atlanta Conservation club which does steel challenge and Warsaw which hosts a lot of different shooting events.

If you are interested, the ft Wayne USPSA matches will start up in April. We hold practice sessions every Thursday night from ~5:30 to ~7:30 for $5. If you wanted to bring them to the practice night with their .22s, I'd be happy to spend some time getting them familiar with the sport and they could get a feel for it w/o any match "people are watching" pressure. Just note that .22s aren't allowed in the actual matches, 9mm or larger.

If you are looking for events that are youth ONLY, that might be harder to find, and you may have better luck through organizations such as 4h or boyscouts???

-rvb

Top Bottom