• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Xtreme Bullets is running a pretty good sale right now. I copied this from another forum:

"15% off all copper plated bullets with coupon code 15offbullet at checkout.

Does not apply to cast lead or jacketed. Only applies to copper plated AND free shipping !!!"

They still have a good variety and inventory of handgun bullets. My 1911 prefers these over Berry's, Rainier and Oregon Trail.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    They've been doing this for a month or so, ordered 2k 9mm from them. They have great customer service, they're my go to brand.

Free shipping too!

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I have been using Berry's but am willing to gives these a try. For those who like the Xtreme brand, what makes them better?

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Customer service, thick plating, prices, availability, consistency of weight, they package them up nice as well.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I grabbed some of these a few weeks ago. I went with the 45acp 230hp, which was all they had in stock at the time, and the 115gr 9mm ball. I think my total was $200 shipped. Rainier from midway - my usual go to- would have been ~$230 plus shipping for the same quantity. I hope I like them.

-Brian

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I should have added - I had seen these at the Indy 1500 show, and passed on them there. Regretting it, I found them online and took advantage of the sale. They are BEAUTIFUL bullets. Very shiny. I hope they shoot as well as they look.

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    What makes them better?
    Thicker plating
    Almost always in stock even in the panic
    Better looking bullets then Berrys. All my berrys had little dents in them.
    Free shipping on all orders.
    And you can push them faster than Berrys I load my 9mm with FMJ data.
    Never had to call about a problem but I read on the interwebs their CS is great.
    Just wish they had this 15% off when I ordered 5k

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Need a week to reach payday but I need me some bullets and these are good 'uns. I'll be stocking up on 9mm's and 45's if I am able. Thanks for the heads up! Just don't buy them all on me guys. :)

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I have been using Berry's but am willing to gives these a try. For those who like the Xtreme brand, what makes them better?

I tried them once before. I record a comment in my log for every new load that I try and I have more positive comments on loads using Xtreme bullets than any other single brand. There's no leading or gunk in your dies like lead bullets. With 230s running around $11/100 and free shipping, there is no reason for me not to use them. I don't know if the Glock guys can use them though.

Lunati is right. The thread on the other forum began on 10/17/13 and I remember looking at Xtreme's website at that time. They had tons of inventory and selection then and still do.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well crap... I think I will be canceling this order. Just read this on their site, and I don't know of any .308 rifles that shoot at less than 1500 fps :(:

Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.
    Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I don't buy plated bullets for rifles, only handguns. Doesn't matter if they sell them or not to me, I use jackets for rifles. Except the 45/70, that one goes slow enough, at least with my BP loads for my old trapdoor, that lead is fine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't buy plated bullets for rifles, only handguns. Doesn't matter if they sell them or not to me, I use jackets for rifles. Except the 45/70, that one goes slow enough, at least with my BP loads for my old trapdoor, that lead is fine.

Well, I emailed them with my order info and indicated that I would want to cancel if they couldn't be used for what I had planned on. May order some pistol bullets instead though, because those are good prices, and the free shipping really makes it attractive!

Who do you generally get rifle projectiles from? I got some at the 1500, but not nearly enough for what I'll eventually need. All I have right now are some pulled .308's (Lake City) and some .303 British (.311) which I was told would also be good for 7.62x54R. I didn't find any 6.5 that I want for my Swedish Mauser and if possible 6.5 Jap. Then I will also be needing some .308 projectiles for 30-06. I've looked at a few places online, but dang, that shipping cost can eat up any "deal" I might find in a hurry!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I buy the bulk of my "plinkers" from Midway when they get the blems in. They always have the good prices on blems and they will let you buy a bunch of those for reasons unknown verses regular bullets which they limit. I get lot of Armscor blems for my .223 that way and for my .308 it's whatever brand of them they have in the weight I want. For when I want to shoot the bolt action seriously I buy direct from either Berger (for my .308) or Sierra (for the .223). Not sure if I get the good price but I don't buy 1000's of them, usually no more than 500 which last me a while since I'm not putting them though a hose like I do the blems. :)

Midway carries blems for .303, 6.5 Jap and 54r weights and diameters as well as many other "odd" rifles. I get all my Enfield, AK and Mosin bullets there too.

I dunno if you can work this but when I was back in IL, I had some friends that also reloaded and shot long range with me. We'd "group buy" our stuff and were able to save this way buying in bulk since shipping gets more reasonable if you buy more (the price per pound goes down). Of course here in Terre Haute that has stopped. Not really going to say more about that either. There are a few good folks around though and eventually I'll meet them. I've already met one so there's a start. IN any case, buy in as much bulk as possible to save. At first though you will just have to deal with the prices until you dial in those loads. Then, once you have those, BUY the bullets your rifle likes to eat in as big a number as you wallet allows.

Don't know if that helps but that's what I try to do.

Did they cancel the order then or let you return them for your money?

I will admit to one rifle that will occasionally eat plated bullets, the .30 Carbine. It's just a big pistol round and you can load those light, though they still need to be hot enough to work the action, and get away with plated bullets if they're high enough quality.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I buy the bulk of my "plinkers" from Midway when they get the blems in. They always have the good prices on blems and they will let you buy a bunch of those for reasons unknown verses regular bullets which they limit. I get lot of Armscor blems for my .223 that way and for my .308 it's whatever brand of them they have in the weight I want. For when I want to shoot the bolt action seriously I buy direct from either Berger (for my .308) or Sierra (for the .223). Not sure if I get the good price but I don't buy 1000's of them, usually no more than 500 which last me a while since I'm not putting them though a hose like I do the blems. :)

Midway carries blems for .303, 6.5 Jap and 54r weights and diameters as well as many other "odd" rifles. I get all my Enfield, AK and Mosin bullets there too.

I dunno if you can work this but when I was back in IL, I had some friends that also reloaded and shot long range with me. We'd "group buy" our stuff and were able to save this way buying in bulk since shipping gets more reasonable if you buy more (the price per pound goes down). Of course here in Terre Haute that has stopped. Not really going to say more about that either. There are a few good folks around though and eventually I'll meet them. I've already met one so there's a start. IN any case, buy in as much bulk as possible to save. At first though you will just have to deal with the prices until you dial in those loads. Then, once you have those, BUY the bullets your rifle likes to eat in as big a number as you wallet allows.

Don't know if that helps but that's what I try to do.

Did they cancel the order then or let you return them for your money?

I will admit to one rifle that will occasionally eat plated bullets, the .30 Carbine. It's just a big pistol round and you can load those light, though they still need to be hot enough to work the action, and get away with plated bullets if they're high enough quality.

Good tip on the blems! I'll check them out, because really most of what I do would qualify as plinking (some of it quite badly! :):). Currently I've only got a couple of other buddies that load .308, so I may be able to work with them on a bulk order. Most of my guns are bolt action, with the exception of my Garand and M1 carbine, so I won't be burning through a ton of anything myself. I don't know anyone else (yet) locally that reloads the oddball stuff (6.5, 8mm, .303, etc.). I will eventually be reloading .30 carbine, so that's good to know about the plated bullets for it.

I just placed that order with Xtreme this morning, so I probably won't hear anything until Monday, but hopefully they will cancel. I don't know if one of my .308 buddies loads sub-sonic for his suppressed .308, but if so he may be able to use the plated projectiles if they don't cancel my order.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am interested to hear what they say about their 308 bullets. I can't imagine they'd even bother developing a round for that or .223 (which they also offer) that couldn't do rifle velocities safely and reliably.

Plated bullets are one of those controversial things. Some people swear by them, other swear at them. I'm not in any way directing this comment to Warthog as I do not know him or his reasoning, but a lot of the 'i never use plated for xxx' people haven't actually tried them. Or they've tried the by substituting it for another bullet of the same weight and gotten 'poor' results. Well, just like any new bullet, you have to work up a load for it. You might find they do just fine for what you want.

-Brian

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am interested to hear what they say about their 308 bullets. I can't imagine they'd even bother developing a round for that or .223 (which they also offer) that couldn't do rifle velocities safely and reliably.

Plated bullets are one of those controversial things. Some people swear by them, other swear at them. I'm not in any way directing this comment to Warthog as I do not know him or his reasoning, but a lot of the 'i never use plated for xxx' people haven't actually tried them. Or they've tried the by substituting it for another bullet of the same weight and gotten 'poor' results. Well, just like any new bullet, you have to work up a load for it. You might find they do just fine for what you want.

-Brian

Yeah, that seemed odd to me too. I'll be interested to see what their response is to my email. If the velocity turns out not to be an issue, I think they'd probably make pretty serviceable plinking bullets. One of the reviews for the .308 is from a guy that uses them in 300 Blackout loads, but I don't know what kind of velocities are normal for that caliber.

Top Bottom