• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So I currently have AT&T for home internet, and it is attached to the coax cable run to my house. AT&T is going to fiber in my area and said that we will lose service at the end of the month if I don't upgrade to fiber. My house is 101 years old with plaster walls and I believe will be a giant PITA to run wiring inside the house once the fiber is connected from wherever it comes from. I see that Xfinity still uses the coax cable and officers the same speeds as the fiber. Can anyone advise what the best course of action would be? I'm not opposed to the fiber, I just think that it is going to be a hassle to get everything connected once I get the service run to the house. And as far as other internet options go, all my research shows that those are the only two options in my part of Beech Grove.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So I currently have AT&T for home internet, and it is attached to the coax cable run to my house. AT&T is going to fiber in my area and said that we will lose service at the end of the month if I don't upgrade to fiber. My house is 101 years old with plaster walls and I believe will be a giant PITA to run wiring inside the house once the fiber is connected from wherever it comes from. I see that Xfinity still uses the coax cable and officers the same speeds as the fiber. Can anyone advise what the best course of action would be? I'm not opposed to the fiber, I just think that it is going to be a hassle to get everything connected once I get the service run to the house. And as far as other internet options go, all my research shows that those are the only two options in my part of Beech Grove.
    Fiber should just need one very small cable into the house, for the router/wifi gateway. If you're able to use wifi vs a cable connection, fiber should pose no issues.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you already have coax everywhere, maybe some of these for the endpoints that cant be wireless?
    This is a MOCA box that is supposed to play nice with cable STBs to piggyback ethernet on unused channels. DirecTV users would look for DECA boxes.

You'll want this pair, then an add on for each additional device at the end of a coax run.

Amazon product ASIN B013J7O3X0

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Our last house was old with plaster walls. We upgraded to fiber, and they drilled a hole through the side of the house into the basement, then another small hole through the floor where we wanted the box placed. It was really not much of a hassle as long as you don't care about a couple small holes. Depending on what you are doing with the internet, cable and fiber can give about the same speeds. But fiber is much, much lower ping - like 4ms or less.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If you already have coax everywhere, maybe some of these for the endpoints that cant be wireless?
    This is a MOCA box that is supposed to play nice with cable STBs to piggyback ethernet on unused channels. DirecTV users would look for DECA boxes.

You'll want this pair, then an add on for each additional device at the end of a coax run.

Amazon product ASIN B013J7O3X0
    I have no idea what you just said, but I appreciate it anyway! Lol

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    What do you use internet for? My son has Verizon home internet without any glitches and he uses it allot. Speeds are nit like fiber or even comcast bit is very usable. Plug it in and use it. T-Mobile also has it. Depends on your location but it may be a solution.

I personally do not like AT&T - they kept raising prices after they gave me a good deal on fiber a few years ago.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    As stated above, I believe the fiber run is to the house only, maybe to the router (aka modem) in the house, but everything else can be run through older tech like coax.

I think the quality of the service is very dependent on your location. My experience with xfinity for the past 20 years is polar opposite to the dieselrealtor's experience. Down here in lower southeast district, we lose power way more often than we lose internet. Our neighborhood was built in the middle 1990s. I have the $98 internet access only package with xfinity right now. The speed is not as fast as the speeds advertised for fiber but they don't suck.

xfinityspeedtest.jpg

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    As stated above, I believe the fiber run is to the house only, maybe to the router (aka modem) in the house, but everything else can be run through older tech like coax.

I think the quality of the service is very dependent on your location. My experience with xfinity for the past 20 years is polar opposite to the dieselrealtor's experience. Down here in lower southeast district, we lose power way more often than we lose internet. Our neighborhood was built in the middle 1990s. I have the $98 internet access only package with xfinity right now. The speed is not as fast as the speeds advertised for fiber but they don't suck.

View attachment 316425

My experience may not translate to what will really affect Frank.

The service was marginal to average, the customer service was enough to make me want to go back to a tin can & a string.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What are the separate costs involved? Including installation, equipment and monthly rental?

Out here in BFE, REMC tried their damndest to sell me their fiber at three times the cost of Comcast cable. Made it a no go for me.

BTW- I pay way way less than indyjohn does for Internet only. I'm guessing they need a better speed package than I do, with less users.

Xfinity is not fun to deal with and getting worse all the time. That said, three times the price is three times the price.

:drama:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    What do you use internet for? My son has Verizon home internet without any glitches and he uses it allot. Speeds are nit like fiber or even comcast bit is very usable. Plug it in and use it. T-Mobile also has it. Depends on your location but it may be a solution.

I personally do not like AT&T - they kept raising prices after they gave me a good deal on fiber a few years ago.
    Watching shows on streaming services, and playing Fortnite on the PS4. AT&T and Xfinity are the only two services available at my address.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    What are the separate costs involved? Including installation, equipment and monthly rental?

Out here in BFE, REMC tried their damndest to sell me their fiber at three times the cost of Comcast cable. Made it a no go for me.

BTW- I pay way way less than indyjohn does for Internet only. I'm guessing they need a better speed package than I do, with less users.

Xfinity is not fun to deal with and getting worse all the time. That said, three times the price is three times the price.

:drama:
    I already have AT&T for internet. Installation is free and monthly cost is $60/month because I get a couple discounts for having cell service with them and paperless billing, and the gateway is free. If I get a wifi extender it is an extra $10/month.

Top Bottom