• Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You would be correct if.....

Just to clarify - If, however, he's actually charging a minimal price based on his costs, and yet that price is too high for his customers, the answer is that the market isn't right for new indoor ranges.

I would probably agree with you were it not for the "buy a gun from us over $200 and that pays for your membership to the range." I know what the mark-ups are on firearms; if you buy a $400 firearm from them they presently make X amount of profit. Now you buy the same gun at hopefully the same price and they credit you for a $200 membership. If someone buys a gun from them only to get the membership I agree that will add something extra to the bottom line but if like they say their "regular customers" are getting free memberships when they buy a gun what extra profit are they making? Obviously they are already buying guns from them. What I see is the true price is the $15 and hour lane rental price. What am I missing here?

As I memtioned before, an empty lane does not make a dollar. If you don't get people in the store you don't sell merchandise; you don't make money. :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I would probably agree with you were it not for the "buy a gun from us over $200 and that pays for your membership to the range." I know what the mark-ups are on firearms; if you buy a $400 firearm from them they presently make X amount of profit. Now you buy the same gun at hopefully the same price and they credit you for a $200 membership. If someone buys a gun from them only to get the membership I agree that will add something extra to the bottom line but if like they say their "regular customers" are getting free memberships when they buy a gun what extra profit are they making? Obviously they are already buying guns from them. What I see is the true price is the $15 and hour lane rental price. What am I missing here?

As I memtioned before, an empty lane does not make a dollar. If you don't get people in the store you don't sell merchandise; you don't make money. :twocents:

You make a good point about a gun purchase not covering the $200 fee. I also agree that an empty lane makes no money, which means in certain circumstances it makes sense to discount, as long as you're careful not to change your customer's behavior to the point you can't charge what you need to at peak times. Anyway, my purpose for posting here was to play devil's advocate and bring up some possibilities that weren't being discussed. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to hear people discussing other people's "obvious" poor business decisions when they aren't usually privy to everything that goes into the decision. I've been involved in many decisions in my life where you weigh everything carefully, discuss it with experts, do studies, have multiple meetings where everything is hashed out, finally make a tough decision that you know has some downsides, only to have someone not involved at all declare the decision as obviously stupid. Not suggesting that's exactly what was going on here, I just like discussion and sometimes playing devil's advocate.

Top Bottom