• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I recently picked this up, a Spanish made revolver purchased by France during WWI. These are probably the cheapest firearm from that war that can be purchased today, typically around $150. France was desperately short of handguns and turned to Spain, among others, to fill in the gaps. The semi-auto Ruby was bought in larger numbers, but they also acquired around 500,000 of these Spanish copies of the S&W K frame. Spain had odd copyright laws that allowed Spanish firms to outright rip-off the products of companies that didn't produce their product in Spain. This one was made by a company that still exists, Orbea Hermanos, but it makes bicycles today.

They remain cheap in the US because there are so many cheap Spanish revolvers available and the wartime product isn't recognized as such. The only marking denoting French purchase is the star on the butt near the serial number. It is chambered for the French 8mm ordnance cartridge, but this one was marked as 32-20 in the auction description where I found this, which seems to be a common mistake. These Spanish revolvers get a bad rap in part due to people typically firing the wrong cartridge in them, although they certainly are not S&W quality either.

I only recently learned these things even exist, but it didn't take me long to find one once I started looking. I actually have found several, but ended up winning this one due to the relatively nice condition.

P0qmreU.jpg

IGcQD4v.jpg

khkbl7V.jpg

yy0V36d.jpg

4LlWJyD.jpg

0AV8Xmi.jpg

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I recently picked this up, a Spanish made revolver purchased by France during WWI. These are probably the cheapest firearm from that war that can be purchased today, typically around $150. France was desperately short of handguns and turned to Spain, among others, to fill in the gaps. The semi-auto Ruby was bought in larger numbers, but they also acquired around 500,000 of these Spanish copies of the S&W K frame. Spain had odd copyright laws that allowed Spanish firms to outright rip-off the products of companies that didn't produce their product in Spain. This one was made by a company that still exists, Orbea Hermanos, but it makes bicycles today.
    How cool to see! I am extremely fascinated by World War I and appreciate you sharing. Are you going to give it a spin or will it be display only?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    How cool to see! I am extremely fascinated by World War I and appreciate you sharing. Are you going to give it a spin or will it be display only?
    I would very much like to shoot it, but I have been looking for 8mm Ordnance ammo for years without any luck. I also have an example of the original French Mle 1892 revolver in the same caliber, it is really hard to find ammo for these. Hopefully someday I'll find it.

UkatigW.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would very much like to shoot it, but I have been looking for 8mm Ordnance ammo for years without any luck. I also have an example of the original French Mle 1892 revolver in the same caliber, it is really hard to find ammo for these. Hopefully someday I'll find it.

UkatigW.jpg
    Rob, you sir are a true collector! I have to be able to shoot whatever I collect. I even went as far as waiting for a company to do a run on one caliber of brass (6.5x53R Dutch) so I could make my own. Even that was made from .303 Brit brass! I also had to order the dies to load them, and those aren't common.

I wonder if you could do the same (if you reload)?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Rob, you sir are a true collector! I have to be able to shoot whatever I collect. I even went as far as waiting for a company to do a run on one caliber of brass (6.5x53R Dutch) so I could make my own. Even that was made from .303 Brit brass! I also had to order the dies to load them, and those aren't common.

I wonder if you could do the same (if you reload)?
    Thank you! I have read that it is possible to make 8mm cases from 32-20 brass. However, I don't reload. I know myself well enough to know that my mind wanders a lot, so much so that I think me attempting to reload shells would be a recipe for disaster.

I am also definitely more of a collector than a shooter. It doesn't bother me at all to have guns that I have never shot. I shoot them if I can find ammo at some point, but if not, no big deal to me. Honestly, the entire experience of shooting doesn't seem particularly different from one gun to the next to me.

I enjoy the histories and mechanical differences in the various guns, shooting is just a side activity to me that I enjoy when I can.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    rob63,
    Wow, nice find on the Spanish made .33 Special!

Once upon a time Fiocchi produced the ammo but I haven't seen a new box of it in a long long time.

Top Bottom