• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I'm a wounded warrior recovering from injuries sustained in Baghdad. Being stationed in the WTU (Warrior Transition Unit) in Fort Knox has let me have lots of experience with the Wounded Warrior Project. Here's what I know first hand.

Two years ago when I was injured, I was MEDEVAC'd and the in-flight surgeon cut off everything I was wearing work on me. My uniform, belt, boot laces... everything. I was completely naked and wrapped in an aluminum blanket by the time the bird landed in Balad.

The first time I ever had contact with the WWP was when they gave me a set of clothes to wear around the ICU to save my dignity. Socks, shoes, hygiene kits... they brought me everything I needed. They brought me a computer with internet access and Skype when I was well enough to sit up and be coherent, and they left it with me for the entire time I was there. 24-7. This made a huge difference in my recovery because I had a portal to see my family back home and reassure them that I was okay, that I was going to live, etc. And I was able to be comforted by the presence of my loved ones. They asked for nothing in return, and I was so amazed. The entire time I was in the ICU, they treated me like a king.

For this, I've donated to them countless times.

Most recently, however... I signed up to go on a fly fishing expedition that was sponsored by them. It was for beginners (I've never fly fished before) and I have to say, I probably would have been better off learning on my own. // The schedule was ridiculously packed, and in an entire weekend, we were only allowed to spend a total of 1 hour in the stream. The meals they "provided" were worse than the $5 box lunches from Marsh, and the equipment they let us rent from them was either broken or on it's last leg. Let me give that to you again... they made us rent fishing equipment from them... on an "all inclusive" fishing expedition.

I don't know what's happened to the WWP in the last two years, but it's gone from a service member oriented group to a profit oriented group, and they were shaving money everywhere they could.

Just my opinion.
    Thank you for your service and relaying your experience.

chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    I have been a staunch supporter of the WWP for a long time. I have become increasingly concerned with their current direction and have said as much to them in correspondence. The following is their response:

Dear Charles,

We appreciate your concern regarding this matter. First, these questions arose as a result of a miscommunicated message when declining an opportunity for WWP to appear on Gun Talk Radio. This mistake has unfortunately led some people to question our support of the 2nd Amendment.

Please know WWP wholeheartedly supports the Constitution of the United States of America, which includes the Second Amendment. We recognize these are the freedoms our Alumni fought and sacrificed to protect!

WWP has a long history of facilitating therapeutic hunting and outdoor opportunities for Wounded Warriors as well as fundraising activities that involve firearms.

Thank you for your support of Wounded Warrior Project as we continue to honor and empower wounded warriors.

MELISSA MCARTHUR

O: 904.405.1350
    M: 904.625.6491
    F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
    4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
    Jacksonville, Florida 32256

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Yeah. Listened to the podcast. The WWP CEO attempted some serious push back against Tom Gresham, but Tom wasn't having any of it. He was polite, but firm and called B.S. repeatedly. Very well done.

There was an opportunity there to get things straightened out, but from my view WWP is no longer an option. Fortunately, there are plenty of other ways to help.

Edit: Tom has promised to promote other groups each week through the end of the year that also help wounded veterans. +1 Gun Talk!

Last edited:

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    Who wants to start INGO Warrior Support Group? I am sure a group here can do more to support Indiana Warriors and see more good done for those that served than can be done with WWP?

Just a thought.....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What a shame. I volunteered to work a table for WWP a couple weeks ago up at Purdue. It appears they have grown to the point where they feel it is necessary to attempt to please everyone by offending no one. That is the fastest way to lose all credibility and is the path followed by most politicians.

It's a shame that precious few people or organizations have the balls to simply do what is right because it is right. Free national publicity for an organization working to help wounded veterans should be a no brainer, if the priority was helping wounded vets it would have been. Apparently making money has taken priority, feed the beast.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    What a shame. I volunteered to work a table for WWP a couple weeks ago up at Purdue. It appears they have grown to the point where they feel it is necessary to attempt to please everyone by offending no one. That is the fastest way to lose all credibility and is the path followed by most politicians.

It's a shame that precious few people or organizations have the balls to simply do what is right because it is right. Free national publicity for an organization working to help wounded veterans should be a no brainer, if the priority was helping wounded vets it would have been. Apparently making money has taken priority, feed the beast.

They are starting to sound like the NRA. You dues are not enough. :D

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

I don't know if they ever really wanted to be vocal about being pro or anti anything, as they shouldn't be. If they continue helping wounded veterans, I honestly don't care if I hear them on some gun podcast or if I can get a co-branded firearm. The issue most people should be having, and don't seem to, is that most of the money seems to be going for administrative purposes instead of what it originally went to...actually helping people that need it.

If I would have been running the show, from day 1, I wouldn't have been pro or anti guns and I wouldn't have commented at all about them. I would have made sure people could sponsor hunts if they wanted and I'd get people to them but I wouldn't have co-branded with guns or knives or anything like that. I'd have been doing everything I could to make sure those that needed help or financial support were getting it by being non-offensive while keeping my personal beliefs my own.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    The issue most people should be having, and don't seem to, is that most of the money seems to be going for administrative purposes instead of what it originally went to...actually helping people that need it.

This is the issue I have. Their execs get paid an exorbitant amount of money.

According to charity navigator their Executive Director Steven Nardizzi received $319,692.

That is simply ridiculous for a charity.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Hickok45 was talking about this in his last radio show, they had shot some targets and sold them on EBAY to donate to the WWP. Now they are going to donate the proceeds elsewhere most likely.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Now that you dug it up - consider The Folds of Honor Foundation.

They just started a Patriot Range Day, and have aligned with the NRA, Remington, Bass Pro Shops and others. Go to the range, your country needs you ;)

Patriot Range Days | Folds of Honor Foundation

The Folds of Honor provides educational scholarships to the spouses and children of those killed or disabled on the battlefield. I know the founder personally, and we are working to establish a local chapter here in Indiana. Pm for more details.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Wow! My wife and myself thru her restaurants have chosen WWP as our main charity for the last couple years. We have raised well over $30,000 for them. And now to read this is really heart breaking. I guess we will have to find another veteran charity to help.

Top Bottom