• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I jumped on the local Sheriff's Department Website (Carroll County, FWIW) and was immediately confused by wording.

Everybody here talks about "License to Carry Handgun", or LTCH, right?? That's not on the page. They have a Personal Protection License and a Hunting and Target License. I'd assume that LTCH = PPL, is that correct?? Who's using the wrong terminology here?

I mean, it just seems to me that this could be a big miscommunication, and that could lead to misinformation. Or am I just having a rough day so far and need to go take a nap??

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    They are all licenses to carry handguns of different types. The personal protection type is unlimited, while hunting and target licenses are limited to those activities. Why, or if, anyone applies for the limited licenses is beyond me.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I don't hunt, so excuse my ignorance of this..

If I'm hunting deer I would still need a deer stamp or something, in addition to a hunting and target permit, correct?

Why are we (the firearms community) calling it a LTCH while the state calls it a PPL?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    LTCH covers all types of licenses; it sounds like the website you were looking at was referencing the specific types of LTCHs you can purchase. If you have the PPL, you don't need the more limited HTL. (from what I understand).

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Indiana Code 35-47-2. Each section refers to licenses to carry handguns. That's where the LTCH term comes from. There are two types of LTCH; the unlimited PPL and the limited Hunting and Target License, which only allows you to carry a handgun to and from the range, and to, from and while hunting.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    So they're ALL LTCH in one way or another? That makes a little more sense.. they kinda make it seem like if you want to hunt or target shoot (regardless of firearm) then you need the Hunting and Target permit..

I've been all over the web and haven't found anything concise and easy to understand.. why can't they just make it easy for us?! :)

Edit - Episcopus, that's pretty good linkage - thanks..

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    So they're ALL LTCH in one way or another? That makes a little more sense.. they kinda make it seem like if you want to hunt or target shoot (regardless of firearm) then you need the Hunting and Target permit..

I've been all over the web and haven't found anything concise and easy to understand.. why can't they just make it easy for us?! :)

They are all LTCH. You can hunt, target shoot, carry and do whatever with the PPL. You can ONLY hunt and target shoot with the Hunting and Target License. You would still need the proper hunting licenses to hunt, even with the Hunting and Target License. As someone else said, there is no reason to get the limited license when the PPL allows you to do the same things and more.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If I\'m hunting deer I would still need a deer stamp or something, in addition to a hunting and target permit, correct?
    You would need a deer stamp regardless. You would only need an LTCH if you were hunting deer WITH A HANDGUN. This would not be required for rifle/carbine, shotgun, or muzzleloader.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification..

I guess the biggest question is why there's different classes of license.. if PPL supercedes Target and Hunting, why even have them separate?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I guess the biggest question is why there\'s different classes of license.. if PPL supercedes Target and Hunting, why even have them separate?
    Very good question. There is a difference in price. I don\'t know if the correlates to a less exhaustive background check before issuing than a PPL. The price is the only downside to go with the full version.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification..

I guess the biggest question is why there's different classes of license.. if PPL supercedes Target and Hunting, why even have them separate?

Excellent question. My best answer is "I don't know." Might be a way to get money from people who think guns are only for hunting, or who think that they will never ever carry a gun anywhere because they won't 'need' to.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i think the limited permit is a left over bit from when local LEO was allowed to require a "reason" to have the LTCH.

prior to 1990 there was wording in the IC that allowed the Local LEO to say one did not have proper reason....

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    When i got my first LTCH in marion county in 1989 i had to not only provide "proper reason" i had to prove I was a proper person....

You still have to be a proper person. All that means is that you are not disqualified from owning guns/ammo in Indiana or Federally. Basically, you have to pass the background check the ISP does when you send everything to Indy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You still have to be a proper person. All that means is that you are not disqualified from owning guns/ammo in Indiana or Federally. Basically, you have to pass the background check the ISP does when you send everything to Indy.

:+1:

Since Indiana is a "shall issue" state, you don't have to prove you're a "proper person". The ISP (and/or local police) have to prove you are NOT a "proper person". This is what the background check is for.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    :+1:

Since Indiana is a "shall issue" state, you don't have to prove you're a "proper person". The ISP (and/or local police) have to prove you are NOT a "proper person". This is what the background check is for.

Sorry, yes. You have to be a proper person, but you don't have to prove you are one.

Top Bottom