• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Myself, my dad and brother are getting geared up to spend a good part of the rest of the summer in the woods in Alabama. I currently carry several different types of pistols but, my father is on a kick wanting to buy three of the same pistol for us all to carry:D

The main concern is poisinous snakes. We have also been made aware of wild hogs on the property that would need to be dispatched also.

My first thought was to carry a somewhat lightweight SP101 4" with snakeshot and see just how many hogs we really see.

I plan to buy a. 357 and mainly looked a a Vaquero and SP. What else would you guys reccomend that I may not have thought of?

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    There will be alot of labor involved. Alot of time on equipment and a ATVs. I have and like the. 44 mag but I like the idea of .357 snakeshot also.

What. 44 mag would you want to carry all day in the woods working? The Redhawk and Super Blackhawk I own would be bothersome to me....I think anyway.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    There will be alot of labor involved. Alot of time on equipment and a ATVs. I have and like the. 44 mag but I like the idea of .357 snakeshot also.

What. 44 mag would you want to carry all day in the woods working? The Redhawk and Super Blackhawk I own would be bothersome to me....I think anyway.
    You can get snakeshot for the 44 MAG,

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I have a public defender but for woods use a longer barrel because you have the choice of 410 shot shells or 45 long colt in same cylinder no brainer for me a judge or governor.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I might be making a bigger deal out of weight than I need to. I want to be comfortable after working alot of hours in the woods.

Honestly there are only two reasons to buy something new. My dad wants to buy three of the same and we know these things are going to take a beating while in the woods.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I have a public defender but for woods use a longer barrel because you have the choice of 410 shot shells or 45 long colt in same cylinder no brainer for me a judge or governor.

+1 for the Judge/public defender. Since concealing is not a concern in the woods, I too recommend the Taurus judge. .410 for snakes and 45lc for hogs.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I'll think out side of the box here. How about three .22 plinkers [Ruger 22/45, Single Six, etc.] with some snake shot and range ammo and one 12ga. shotgun with slugs. With ATVs and equipment the hogs will probably be running the other direction and you can have some inexpensive target practice when time allows.

I know this is four guns but dad will still save a bundle compare to some of the other suggestions.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have to agree with sharpetop on this. I have a nice gun holder mounted on my atv. You could keep a 12 gauge with slugs and the 22/45 is easy to carry all day and a blast to shoot.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'd go with a G31, G32 if you want lightweight or concealment. Add FDE duracoat since they're woods guns.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    You say you're worried about weight, because you're going to be carrying it around in the woods. Do you plan to carry it exclusively on your belt?

For large revolvers, there are some decent over-the-shoulder solutions. You may also want to check out the "Chesty Puller" rig, from SimplyRugged.com.

ETA: Chesty-Puller-Conversion-System

Bap1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    NE Indy
    I would go no less then a .357 in revolver or a .45 in auto. Snake shots would be fine but I can run the other direction way faster then I can draw and fire.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    If considering carrying a couple, to save your ears some trouble, grab a cheap H&R 22 revolver with some blue pills. I've heard .44 magnum can work wonders on angry wild hogs for the other. :)

Remember, with shot shells, the spread patterns are insane. Fire a few at a target and watch the spread, the blue pills at 7 yards spread what seems like 6 feet. It's an up close round, at least in .22

images
    CCI-22-Shotshell-3-500px.jpg

Top Bottom