• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Wanting to get a wood stove. Anyone see a pellet / wood combo one? I found one in Europe but no USA dealers. Not sure where to research for honest reviews.

Would love the ease of pellets. Can make pellets w sawdust from mills. But want self-sufficiency of wood. Got access to lots and lots of that.

Will be for our 2.000 sq ft place.

Thanks

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    My Father in law went the pellet stove route and ended up hating it. He stocked up for Winter, constantly fought the auger, and the pellets in the hopper molded pretty quickly. When we lived in the mountains of Colorado we heated the house with a woodstove and loved it. A good chainsaw, axe, splitter heated our house for a couple of years until we moved to Indiana.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Looks like it is spf, but could put in a backup offer.

May not be what you're looking for, but do like these things.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    There are tons of good deals in the FB marketplace right now. I've used electric, natural gas, propane, pellets, and wood. Each has distinct advantages. Several here also belong to the firewood hoarders club forum. Check it out. Tons of good info.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Do not give into the temptation to get a stove rated for higher BTUs than you really need. Most are only efficient when running hot.

Here's my super-secret formula for calculating wood stove BTU output. Since BTU output is a function of the burn time, it is the only way to compare wood stoves on an apples-to-apples basis (i.e. using the same burn time for all the stoves in your calculations).

If a mfg wants to jack up the BTU spec. of his stove for sales literature, he just calculates if for a faster burn.

The formula is:

(Firebox capacity x 0.015 x 6,200 x stove efficiency) / burn time = BTU/hr

Where . . .

* Firebox capacity is in cubic inches.
    * 0.015 is the average mass of air-dried hardwood in lbs/cu. in. (i.e. 26 lbs/cu. ft.)
    * 6,200 is the average usable BTU content of seasoned hardwood at 20% moisture (avg. moisture of seasoned hardwood)
    * Stove efficiency is the decimal value of the percentage efficiency (ex. a 72% efficient stove = 0.72).
    * Burn time is in hours.

Some mfg list the volume of the firebox, others don’t. If looking at stoves in a store, I just physically measure the usable volume on the inside. Otherwise an email to the mfg is in order.

There. I've now revealed another of the secrets of the universe. Only on INGO.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We have heated with wood with no issues, have chainsaws and a powered splitter. I find that splitting to about wrist size works best. We take wood out of the pile and put into plastic tubs whick we spray every time with permethrin based insecticide. Like earlier poster blain said, you don't want to bring undesirables in with you.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Heated w/ wood since we moved in 22 yrs ago. Vermont Castings, Dutch Southwest XL is our burner model, not sure if still in production. Chain saw and splitter get plenty of use. This unit keeps our 2200 Sq Ft home on full basement, (burner in basement) our entire home comfy all winter. Furnace intake near burner. Fan on constant RUN setting all winter and heat rising move warmth throughout the home. Unless temps below ZERO, our furnace never kicks in. Clean chimney yearly at least and burn only seasoned wood. We burn 6" logs mostly. We load larger ones to last all night when long burn times needed. Only regret is I am getting older and wood cutting/splitting/stacking goes slower now. (waiting on grand kids to grow up :))

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Vermont castings stoves. Great quality.
    Just looked at them. That top loader feature looks interesting on the Intrepid Flexburn. I see there is a dealer in Bloomington, IN. The price is similar to Lopi, who I bought a gas stove from.

There are tons of good deals in the FB marketplace right now. I've used electric, natural gas, propane, pellets, and wood. Each has distinct advantages. Several here also belong to the firewood hoarders club forum. Check it out. Tons of good info.
    Having trouble getting signed up but thanks as I would have never known there was a forum like that. The board looks full of good info for purchase and setup. Had a fireplace growing up then a big Buck Stove insert with converter. Considering a woodburner for a backup in case of power grid problems. Rural electric co-op company is great on service but last year they got notice of those green plans to shut down a newly built coal plant.

Top Bottom