• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm kicking around the idea of installing a wood stove in my walk out basement. The one thing that concerns me is that the ceiling is only 7 feet. Would it be possible to install one and still be safe? My thinking is to run the vent through the wall to the outside...

tgeorge21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    Feet
    You would need to check with your local code and rules, but I think a wood stove only needs like 3 feet of clearance above, as long as its properly ventilated. you can also install metal behind it and above it to protect what is behind the metal from heating up.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Would depend on the stove, but most should be fine with a 7' ceiling. NFPA requires 3ft from top of stove to a combustible ceiling. The stove I have manual states 7' minimum ceiling height. If running through the wall the single wall pipe can't be closer than 18" from the ceiling where it connects to the thimble.
    You would need to check with your local code and rules, but I think a wood stove only needs like 3 feet of clearance above, as long as its properly ventilated. you can also install metal behind it and above it to protect what is behind the metal from heating up.
    Metal with 1" non combustible spacers between the metal and the wall/ceiling. And yes that will reduce the clearance required down to 12".

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    We've got a wood stone in the basement of our walkout. Flue goes straight out the top all the way through the roof. Concrete and ceramic tile all around. This feature was designed into the house when we built.

Heats well and keeps the floors warm as well.:)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So, yes, I imagine it could be done as you suggested.

A stove in the basement has the concrete floor and block wall to satisfy the requirement for a non-combustible surround (assuming the basement is not finished). Routing the stove pipe straight up through the 1st floor, then ceiling, possibly 2nd floor, then another ceiling, and finally the roof can get messy and expensive unless you have a clear shot free of hidden pipes, ducts, and wiring. The pipe does not have to be straight all the way to the top to draw properly so my advice is to get it outside as soon as possible. I've seen installations properly and safely routed between the 1st floor joists exiting the house and taking a 90° up the side with a lot less cutting, sealing, and drama.

1677069804918.png

Go for it!

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    So, yes, I imagine it could be done as you suggested.

A stove in the basement has the concrete floor and block wall to satisfy the requirement for a non-combustible surround (assuming the basement is not finished). Routing the stove pipe straight up through the 1st floor, then ceiling, possibly 2nd floor, then another ceiling, and finally the roof can get messy and expensive unless you have a clear shot free of hidden pipes, ducts, and wiring. The pipe does not have to be straight all the way to the top to draw properly so my advice is to get it outside as soon as possible. I've seen installations properly and safely routed between the 1st floor joists exiting the house and taking a 90° up the side with a lot less cutting, sealing, and drama.

View attachment 257392

Go for it!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom