• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    With less than a month left until my 21st I have narrowed down my choices for a carry gun to two. As sad as it is price is a factor, i would love a kimber ultra II or kimber carry, but on my budget it does not work. So it is down to Kel-Tec's new PF-9 and a S&W 636.

I know kel-tec has a bad rep... and I know the s&w has a full size hammer (possible snag point) as well as knowing the ins and outs of both guns fairly well.

I am still though looking for opinions though, this will be my first carry gun and if I could I would buy and have a safe full, but I can't. So hit me with your unending wisdom and help me stop the constant fence hopping please!!

-K

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Personally, having carried several different guns, I would get either a Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, or S&W J frame and get a good pocket holster (I love the DeSantis Nemesis). A good pocket gun goes with you almost always as they are super easy to carry. Save up for a bigger hip carry gun next.

I almost always have my P3AT on me. Not so with my Springfield.

A .380 in the pocket beats a .45 at home.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I agree with epsylum. A .380 pocket is better than any gun at home. I currrently try to CC my M&P .40 compact, but my fat body makes it print too much. I'm defintely looking seriously at a pocket gun that can go with me anywhere. Kel Tec have such a bad rep though...

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I favor magazine-fed pistols over revolvers for primary carry for many reasons so I'll say go with the Kel-Tec.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    A .380 in the pocket beats a .45 at home.

:+1:

BTW, I would consider that the Keltec has a questionable rep, not a bad rep. This discussion has been had here before, and some people have called them unreliable, others have not had any problems. A mixed review may be a sign of 10 people using 10 different loads. If someone has a horror story of the gun breaking, etc, lets hear it.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    :+1:

BTW, I would consider that the Keltec has a questionable rep, not a bad rep. This discussion has been had here before, and some people have called them unreliable, others have not had any problems. A mixed review may be a sign of 10 people using 10 different loads. If someone has a horror story of the gun breaking, etc, lets hear it.

+1

I have had two P3ATs (sold my blued one to my dad so I could get a hard chromed one) and my brother has one. All three have been reliable. They are very snappy and are very prone to limp wristing, which I think may be a big cause of some of the reliability complaints.

If you are unsure of the KT's reliability, there is the Ruger LCP (but then again there are reports of issues with them as well, including the triggers breaking), and the J frame (which also has reports of some internal lock issues). KT, Ruger, and S&W all have great customer service however. ;)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    How did you end up with these two choices?

yes, inquiring minds want to know.

looks like your mind is made, but the most reliable, statistically speaking, is the small frame 9mm glock like the G17 or G19. this is from my own research and discussion with various trainers. perhaps shay could comment, but we see more dysfunctional guns due to seeing more guns and the G17 and G19 seems to work the longest. they all will malfunction, but the small frame glocks are apparently the most reliable.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My LEO buddy uses a PF-9 as his backup, but ONLY a backup. Its not exactly a gun you would want to use as primary carry.

The problem here is that because price is an issue, then this will be your ONLY gun. This will be the gun you take to the range. This will be the gun you train with. This will be the gun your carry concealed. This will be the gun you keep in your nightstand. This will be the gun you toss in the car. Do you really think you will enjoy all those activities with the PF-9 or revolver?

That's why people like obijohn recommend the Glock 19 (or 17). It can fill all those positions, even if you have to "give" a little on things like deep concealment or price.

The fear is that you buy the PF-9, realize that its not "fun" to shoot, and therefore stop practicing. Then you take it to a training class and hate reloading your magazines while everyone waits. Or worse, you DON'T take any training classes at all.

Used Glock 19s or 17s can be had for around $350. That's not MUCH more than a new PF-9. Mark @ Summit often has them in stock Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

Good luck!

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    The Glock 26 is also a good choice if the 19 is too big. It is also usually about the same price as the 19.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nick makes a good point. Because Glocks can accept any magazine of the same caliber, you could use the 10rd. magazine for concealed carry, and then use a 15 or 17rd magazine for range/class work. They even make special "collars" so that its just like a grip extension.

pgroup_6759_image_400x600__shadow.jpg

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    My next purchase will more than likely be a 26. I just need to find one for a price I can justify. :) I plan on carrying it with the 10 round mag, and using my G19 mags as backups in the event of a Plan C situation.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a P3-at and although it is a reliable pistol for me it's hardly the one I would choose for a first pistol because it's no fun to shoot. Two mags to check for functionality and reasonable point of aim is about all I like to shoot the darn thing.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a P3-at and although it is a reliable pistol for me it's hardly the one I would choose for a first pistol because it's no fun to shoot. Two mags to check for functionality and reasonable point of aim is about all I like to shoot the darn thing.

P-3AT and the PF-9 shoot much differently. They're both snappy, but the P-3AT kills my hand. The PF-9 (especially with a hogue grip) is much nicer to shoot.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    There are only 2 types of people in the world. Those that have G19s, and those that want one. And those that have one and want another. So there are THREE types of people in the world, those that have G19s, those that want one, and those that have one and want another. Yep sounds about right to me!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Admittedly, I've been out of the "gun scene" for a few years. I'm not sure if the design of the small Keltec pistol has changed from the cock the hammer each time you pull design I have. I used to carry a Keltec 9mm that takes the S&W mags (1997/1998 vintage). I found it a reliable shooter, fairly accurate, if a little tougher to control than a large pistol.

I had an AD with it that destroyed the frame and scared the s#!t out of me. It was my fault. My holster was pretty cheap, but I was in college and it seemed to work. I bent down for something and my pistol fell out. The drop was about 3 feet, to concrete in my car port, muzzle contacting first. The impact touched off a round and the bullet slammed into the concrete floor, creating a small crater. I believe I was carrying Federal JHP at the time. I received a little shrapnel in the leg from the jacket and the front of the plastic frame exploded. Nothing serious at all, just slight scabbing. I was lucky.

Keltec repaired it without question, but the only response about the AD from a fall was a copy of their drop tests. I know from person experience that my Keltec will discharge from a 3 feet drop. I wonder if it would do the same with worse consequences if it hit breach first and the hammer bounced back enough to hit the primer on the return trip. That would have literally put a "cap in my ass."

While a good holster would have eliminated this, my pistol was non-functional after the AD. If a pistol is dropped in a confrontation, I would like to think that if I can get it back, it would be usable. With the Keltec, I don't have that confidence. I think the Glock trigger safety is a good idea to eliminate something like this.

Top Bottom