• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I'll try and keep this short and to the point, so here it goes....

Installed an Amcrest 8 channel video security system (wired). Issue I'm having is that the DVR is half way across from my router. Without running CAT5 through a finished basement, is there a way to get the two connected? Possibly a WiFi extender or something? Can it be plugged into my computer which is connected to WiFi as to "act" as a router?

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    You can also use the TPLink powerline adapters. They use your electrical wires to transmit the network signal.

AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit TL-PA9020P KIT - Welcome to TP-LINK

Coworker used them and they are great.

And avoid wifi range extenders. They reduce bandwidth by doubling the traffic on the wireless spectrum.

Wow that's awesome! Didn't even know that was possible. Is there any downside to this? Will it handle the load of an 8 channel camera system?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow that's awesome! Didn't even know that was possible. Is there any downside to this? Will it handle the load of an 8 channel camera system?

It should. the only time I see these fail is on Large homes with multiple panels or fancy breaker panels. (4,000 sqft McMansions and larger)

Its still no substitute for ethernet cable, but its damned close.

There are also some options to use the Coax CATV cable, but those also have issues with satellite TV.

Top Bottom