Why Would They Put Low Profile Tires And Wheels On Trucks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Only a very limited few OEM 18s will clear on standard A6 brakes.

I love the 19" rotors. Best looking wheel Audi makes. I only settled for my peelers because they are essentially brand new and only paid $500 for the set.
    My SQ5 has black 20” Rotors. ECS has the Alzore reps on sale for $850 a set.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Those of you with 19" and 20" brake rotors, what wheels are you running? 25"? :laugh: I suspect the brake rotors are closer to 15" and the wheels are 19" or 20" to clear.

And to be clear, larger brake rotors are awesome. That is another big advantage of the larger wheels. The 10" - 12" rotors that used to go along with the 16" wheels were all undersized IMO, especially when towing or loaded down.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Those of you with 19" and 20" brake rotors, what wheels are you running? 25"? :laugh: I suspect the brake rotors are closer to 15" and the wheels are 19" or 20" to clear.

And to be clear, larger brake rotors are awesome. That is another big advantage of the larger wheels. The 10" - 12" rotors that used to go along with the 16" wheels were all undersized IMO, especially when towing or loaded down.
    I must have been lucky with my 05 2500 Suburban. I picked up a 12,000 pound trailer in Minneapolis MN that was supposed to have the brakes working, the truck handled it like a champ, including braking, not saying I did not have to account for increased distances, but it felt safe.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I must have been lucky with my 05 2500 Suburban. I picked up a 12,000 pound trailer in Minneapolis MN that was supposed to have the brakes working, the truck handled it like a champ, including braking, not saying I did not have to account for increased distances, but it felt safe.
    I was thinking more about the 1500 series trucks of the 2000 era. They'll eventually get you stopped, but they're also easily overwhelmed by multiple stops or a long downhill. Our '99 Yukon smoked the front brakes towing a boat with working trailer brakes. I think we replaced rotors by annually as they would regularly get warped. They were 11.6" rotors, I believe the next gen (your 2500) they upped that to 12.8". In brake world that makes a huge of difference.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I was thinking more about the 1500 series trucks of the 2000 era. They'll eventually get you stopped, but they're also easily overwhelmed by multiple stops or a long downhill. Our '99 Yukon smoked the front brakes towing a boat with working trailer brakes. I think we replaced rotors by annually as they would regularly get warped. They were 11.6" rotors, I believe the next gen (your 2500) they upped that to 12.8". In brake world that makes a huge of difference.
    Our 06 Sierra 1500 has the 13” front rotors and dual piston calipers. GMT800 chassis got the upgrade in 2004 requiring 17” wheels to clear them.

Top Bottom